British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   New to Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-doha-749809/)

britexpat76 Feb 26th 2012 9:30 pm

New to Doha

Hi Guys,

I have been a voyeur for the past few days reading various posts about life in Doha. Seems as most places in ME are, it is what you make it, some think its crap whilst some make the most of it and have a reasonable time.

Is there any bar that is more of a social hub than others?? maybe have quiz nights etc where you can meet people??

And is the female situation there as bad as people say for someone in his early 30's with his own teeth and hair?

Probably the only things I am not sure about? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

co durham boy Feb 27th 2012 7:04 am

Re: New to Doha

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 9922235)
Hi Guys,

I have been a voyeur for the past few days reading various posts about life in Doha. Seems as most places in ME are, it is what you make it, some think its crap whilst some make the most of it and have a reasonable time.

Is there any bar that is more of a social hub than others?? maybe have quiz nights etc where you can meet people??

And is the female situation there as bad as people say for someone in his early 30's with his own teeth and hair?

Probably the only things I am not sure about? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Try www.timeoutdoha.com and www.qatarhappening .com both will give you a run down on what's going on in town .

As for the women side of things being a happily married man shouldn't give me cause to comment but you'll have no problems unless you're The Elephant man .

The fellas that can't pull are usually the wrong side of 16 stone and have their phone strapped to their belt. Plus there's loads of teachers , nurses and bored expat housewives looking for a touch of excitement in their lives.

Get involved and try what's out there . there's not too much variety but you'll find something that suits . I find most of the bars here crap , they're not run properly and no real thought has been put into it . There's no bar culture here , they're kind of add ons that are stuck away from prying eyes and a place where pissed up locals can sit unhindered with their pint of Bullfrog and get shitfaced .

That is changing though , there's a lot of things coming online this year and i think you'll see a massive change in Qatar withing the next 2-3 years . The place has to move forward and progress in some way shape or form .

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 27th 2012 7:09 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9922778)
The place has to move forward and progress in some way shape or form .

You hope.....

co durham boy Feb 27th 2012 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9922784)
You hope.....

I don't give a fu** either way mate to be honest , i think you know my take on it . If i'm not happy then i'll depart this sunny peninsula for pastures new. Whether they change or not won't have an effect on me , i'm just here to do a job . It makes no difference if the job is in Dubai , Hong Kong , Qatar , Jeddah or Sunderland i'll just strap in and adapt .

Personally i think there will be a massive change here , there's no other way you can rebuild a city like this and avoid a massive amount of change .

amy77 Feb 27th 2012 8:20 am

There is a pub-like bar in the Ramada which hosts quiz nights and also has a monthly comedy night (in conjunction with the Comedy Store in London so a decent standard of comedians).

Wahm in the W is quite good for a night out.

As for women, most of us are happily married, but I do know of a few single ladies and even one couple who met and married out here, so there is hope for you!

There's loads of things to get involved in if you are outdoorsy e.g. kite surfing, sailing, diving - it's great.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 27th 2012 8:23 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9922844)
I don't give a fu** either way mate to be honest , i think you know my take on it . If i'm not happy then i'll depart this sunny peninsula for pastures new. Whether they change or not won't have an effect on me , i'm just here to do a job . It makes no difference if the job is in Dubai , Hong Kong , Qatar , Jeddah or Sunderland i'll just strap in and adapt .

Personally i think there will be a massive change here , there's no other way you can rebuild a city like this and avoid a massive amount of change .

Should be good, it's got quite a nice bay for a city to be / continue to be built around.

We'll see eh.

britexpat76 Feb 27th 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for the replies, they sell bullfrogs there too?? I remember seeing a filipino lass drink 2 of them in AD and then vomit over the stage..........Must be a lovely drink.

I'm booked for next week so I will keep my eyes on here to see whats happening, I looked at those websites Co DB far to much shite to try and flick through, but thanks. Seems Calvin Harris is here next week so thats my 1st Doha Thursday taken care of.

And Amy77, I assume the comedy night will be the same they have all across the ME? I Used to watch it monthly in AD and found it a good night.

I have seen reading on here that a lot of the bars have the best areas for couples only? Is this true, even for western men to get in? Or is it a doddle to meet a lass down stairs buy her a malibu and hey presto your unstairs?

And CoDB, fortunately I look nothing like John Merrick I have been compared to the beautiful Peter Beardsley, so things should work out well.

Thanks for your time

co durham boy Feb 28th 2012 4:34 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 9923329)
Thanks for the replies, they sell bullfrogs there too?? I remember seeing a filipino lass drink 2 of them in AD and then vomit over the stage..........Must be a lovely drink.

I'm booked for next week so I will keep my eyes on here to see whats happening, I looked at those websites Co DB far to much shite to try and flick through, but thanks. Seems Calvin Harris is here next week so thats my 1st Doha Thursday taken care of.

And Amy77, I assume the comedy night will be the same they have all across the ME? I Used to watch it monthly in AD and found it a good night.

I have seen reading on here that a lot of the bars have the best areas for couples only? Is this true, even for western men to get in? Or is it a doddle to meet a lass down stairs buy her a malibu and hey presto your unstairs?

And CoDB, fortunately I look nothing like John Merrick I have been compared to the beautiful Peter Beardsley, so things should work out well.

Thanks for your time

No problem mate , you'll need to search it out but you'll be fine , it's not Vegas but it's not Islamabad either .

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 28th 2012 4:40 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9924628)
No problem mate , you'll need to search it out but you'll be fine , it's not Vegas but it's not Islamabad either .

Imagine a combination of both.

co durham boy Feb 28th 2012 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9924633)
Imagine a combination of both.

That's a very disturbing thought.....

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 28th 2012 6:33 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9924648)
That's a very disturbing thought.....

I can't even think of anything to compare the combination with.

Maybe like an Eastern European stag party chucking grenades and drinking at the same time.

Perhaps.

amy77 Feb 28th 2012 9:15 am

Have never heard of a bar having a couples-only restriction! That's bonkers. Wahm seems to be a bit of a singles place and there are nightclubs in the Intercon and Ramada. I've never been though because I am too old and boring these days :D

co durham boy Feb 28th 2012 9:51 am

Originally Posted by amy77 (Post 9924924)
Have never heard of a bar having a couples-only restriction! That's bonkers. Wahm seems to be a bit of a singles place and there are nightclubs in the Intercon and Ramada. I've never been though because I am too old and boring these days :D

Couples only is a ' term ' that usually means that certain nationalities will be denied entry .

A lot of bars and clubs use it in The Gulf

Alexa Feb 28th 2012 9:52 am

Originally Posted by amy77 (Post 9924924)

The couples only restriction is for certain nationalities only...or so I have been told.
Kind of like "Families only" on Fridays at the malls.

co durham boy Feb 28th 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9924970)
The couples only restriction is for certain nationalities only...or so I have been told.
Kind of like "Families only" on Fridays at the malls.

Yes , the inherently racist policy that they have here especially at The Villaggio .

You would have thought those well grounded much travelled ladies from Expatwoman would have seen that while sipping their Latte's at their coffee morning ?