Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

new Citizenship and residence visa

new Citizenship and residence visa

Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new Citizenship and residence visa

Hi, does anyone have an idea...If a person has a residence visa and during this visa he gets a new (another) Citizenship.... what would be procedure to transfer the UAE Residence visa? Do you need to apply for a new one as a citizen of another country or just have your first one transfered to another pasport? Thanks for any info....
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:23 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new Citizenship and residence visa

Originally Posted by n1na
Hi, does anyone have an idea...If a person has a residence visa and during this visa he gets a new (another) Citizenship.... what would be procedure to transfer the UAE Residence visa? Do you need to apply for a new one as a citizen of another country or just have your first one transfered to another pasport? Thanks for any info....
My understanding is that in most cases where one is granted citizenship of a country they retain the passport of originating country.If one changes their Nationality then they receive a passport of their new country.So I would imagine since it is only citizenship you are being granted, your current passport with the Visa remains unchanged but hey, you are talking Middle East.This is one I suspect you will have to go to the horse's mouth for-though I don't envy you.......

I 'm curious though as to how you can obtain another Citizenship while living in UAE- thought a condition of Citizenship was residence in the country offering citizenship.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

n1na is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for answering, Eva. When applying for my current Residence visa with my current nationality, my documents for another citezenship were already in process. I have just received the confirmation that it is approved and for UAE I would like to use now my new citizenship and have Residence visa in my new passport as it will make my live easier ....
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:02 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva

I 'm curious though as to how you can obtain another Citizenship while living in UAE- thought a condition of Citizenship was residence in the country offering citizenship.
It's not in every case...for example Ireland allows persons of recent Irish descent (I think within 2 generations) to apply for an Irish passport even if they don't live in Ireland. I have several family members who have already done this but they live in the UK and only one of them actually went to Ireland!

N.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:35 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
It's not in every case...for example Ireland allows persons of recent Irish descent (I think within 2 generations) to apply for an Irish passport even if they don't live in Ireland. I have several family members who have already done this but they live in the UK and only one of them actually went to Ireland!

N.
That's correct Norm but entirely different from the context of the OP's inquiry - Citizenship by Naturalization where reckonable residence is a requirement, even in Ireland.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Originally Posted by n1na
Thanks for answering, Eva. When applying for my current Residence visa with my current nationality, my documents for another citezenship were already in process. I have just received the confirmation that it is approved and for UAE I would like to use now my new citizenship and have Residence visa in my new passport as it will make my live easier ....
If the passport your visa is in is still valid (ie you now have 2) you're stuck with it I'm afraid... this is why people with dual nationality think very hard before deciding which passport to have their visas in. Might be possible to change when renewing your residency but you'd need to check with your PRO.