Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New & Bored In Riyadh

New & Bored In Riyadh

Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really nice
Default New & Bored In Riyadh

Just been in Riyadh for less then 2 weeks now. It gets kind of boring after work and weekends. I still not have got to know many people.

As yet, not seen a single Brit.

Are there any activities for Brits to do in weekends? Somewhere to meet fellow countryfolk.

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New & Bored In Riyadh

Originally Posted by Demented Kitten
Just been in Riyadh for less then 2 weeks now. It gets kind of boring after work and weekends. I still not have got to know many people.

Are there any activities for Brits to do in weekends? Somewhere to meet fellow countryfolk.

Thanks.
Remind us - where are you living?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

I will be relocating from Taif to Riyadh in the next couple of weeks.
so i suppose i will be looking for some night life also.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:22 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coffindodger
I will be relocating from Taif to Riyadh in the next couple of weeks.
so i suppose i will be looking for some night life also.
Night life in Riyadh? That's a contradiction in terms, mate.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Night life in Riyadh? That's a contradiction in terms, mate.
Nightlife is dodging the muttwa whilst pissed on sid praying that there is indeed a party at the compound you are driving across town to get to whilst also trying to remember the last name of the bloke who is hosting it and what house he lives in....

My old mate when I was in Jeddah reckoned he managed to break 6 laws in one go whilst driving once evening; the elements involved were speed, beer [pissed and possessing], a bacon sandwich and his girlfriend [2 simultaneous violations..]

Last edited by hoofie2002; Jan 14th 2009 at 6:25 am.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:37 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
My old mate when I was in Jeddah reckoned he managed to break 6 laws in one go whilst driving once evening; the elements involved were speed, beer [pissed and possessing], a bacon sandwich and his girlfriend [2 simultaneous violations..]
Was there a word missing? Maybe it should have been "...and ****ing his girlfriend" or would that have made it seven violations?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Demented Kitten

Thanks.
a good way is the hash house harriers.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Was there a word missing? Maybe it should have been "...and ****ing his girlfriend" or would that have made it seven violations?
More to the point of what his girlfriend was doing to him whilst he was driving - so it would be seven then
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlander393
a good way is the hash house harriers.
Yeah, was just gonna suggest this - its a good way to get out to the see the surrounding lands as well as meeting a whole new bunch of expats. Went on a couple of their Hashes before moving out here to Jeddah.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Demented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really niceDemented Kitten is just really nice

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Yeah, was just gonna suggest this - its a good way to get out to the see the surrounding lands as well as meeting a whole new bunch of expats. Went on a couple of their Hashes before moving out here to Jeddah.
What exacty is hashes, can you elaborate more please.

Are there no activities or events organised by the Brit embassy or anything?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

a hash consist of meeting at various locations and following a trail either by running or walking. they are very sociable. If none of the current Riyadh residents cant help PM me and I will send you details.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Typical British mentality...
Travel half-way around the world to a strange lands, to go look for other Brits.
Expand your horizons, fella. Go meet some locals. I've had some great experiences with the Saudis. Riyadh isn't as bad as people are saying, once you get into a circle of people who know what's going on (locals).
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Go meet some locals.
That is the problem, I dont know any locals here, most people at the place I work in are of the Indian Subcontinent (Not well off either and mostly stay at home) and are only family oriented, also their idea of fun would be different from Locals or Brits.

I see a lot of local in malls and cafes, but you cant just go and say "Hi my name is so and so...."
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

The hash is a good suggestion - we've been a few times and it's a really mixed bunch of nationalities, not only Brits - not many locals tho . . . But they are friendly and it's good to see a bit of Saudi outside the city. They also do camping trips in the cooler months. There are also biker groups if you have a bike - they tend to go out on a Friday morning and zoom about. Plus the RBBG/RGGB (?) do desert outings I think and if you join them you get invited to the embassy for talks, which also involve food and drink.

There is (was) a 4x4 type of group who also went out into the desert at weekends, not seen anything advertised for them recently, think they might be connected with RBBG. Also there are quite a few golf courses around if you are into golf. Or horse riding out at Dirrab.

With all that going on don't know why I am complaining of being bored Now, where are my jodphurs ?

N
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

How many of us are there in Riyadh now ? We should have a BE night out. Let me know if you are interested.

N

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.