British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   New Baby/ passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-baby-passport-924415/)

Millhouse Apr 24th 2019 9:06 am

New Baby/ passport
 
Hello...

During the thunder storm two weeks ago another Millhouse was born. A little girl who is super awesome, healthy and cute. Born on a Wednesday during a thunderstorm, just like her brother 12 years ago.

I’m basking in my 10 weeks paternity leave. Yes you read that right although I’m actually getting bored of my semi retirement lifestyle so will go back next week.

Ive got the birth certificate sorted... but am clueless on the passport. Anyone know roughly the process or where I can find it. I assume a trip to see the Indian mafia at the embassy will be in order - can I do it in Dubai or is it ABu Dhabi?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

frequentflyer1234 Apr 24th 2019 9:41 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 
Congratulations!

No you don’t need to go to the embassy. I just did it a few months ago. It’s all online.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

You need your long birth certificate with your parents details on it and the birth certificate you got from the hospital here for your daughter.

Just fill in the application online and send the original required documents. (Your birth certificate, her UAE birth certificate, application form, certified photos and I threw in a passport copy for good measure)

You pay online.

They send the passport and the original documents back to you in 2 separate shipments by DHL.

Good luck with the passport photos. Our first 20 attempts were hilarious!

You don’t need to register the birth abroad to do the passport application. Here are the guidelines https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth, I haven’t done it and am not sure what the benefit is anyway.

nonthaburi Apr 24th 2019 9:56 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12675090)
Hello...

During the thunder storm two weeks ago another Millhouse was born. A little girl who is super awesome, healthy and cute. Born on a Wednesday during a thunderstorm, just like her brother 12 years ago.

I’m basking in my 10 weeks paternity leave. Yes you read that right although I’m actually getting bored of my semi retirement lifestyle so will go back next week.

Ive got the birth certificate sorted... but am clueless on the passport. Anyone know roughly the process or where I can find it. I assume a trip to see the Indian mafia at the embassy will be in order - can I do it in Dubai or is it ABu Dhabi?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

forgetting the passport, I'd seriously reconsider going back to work. You're never going to get that time back again. And without coming over all feminist, but the first few months is a nightmare. Maybe your wife could do with a hand!

IntMon Apr 24th 2019 10:24 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234 (Post 12675098)
Congratulations!

No you don’t need to go to the embassy. I just did it a few months ago. It’s all online.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

You need your long birth certificate with your parents details on it and the birth certificate you got from the hospital here for your daughter.

Just fill in the application online and send the original required documents. (Your birth certificate, her UAE birth certificate, application form, certified photos and I threw in a passport copy for good measure)

You pay online.

They send the passport and the original documents back to you in 2 separate shipments by DHL.

Good luck with the passport photos. Our first 20 attempts were hilarious!

You don’t need to register the birth abroad to do the passport application. Here are the guidelines https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth, I haven’t done it and am not sure what the benefit is anyway.

very useful information. Do you know if there’s a similar process for renewing a child’s passport from Saudi? I heard you could do it online but not sure how it works, especially if I have to ship current passport to the UK.

frequentflyer1234 Apr 24th 2019 10:29 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 
I know you can renew online but you have to send the original back to them for cancellation. After calling the passport office a few times I got conflicting stories. Some said you must send the original immediately and others said it could be sent for cancellation after receipt of the new one.

I work in aviation so need my passport at all times. I just booked an appointment at the passport office in Liverpool and flew over to get it done in a few hours.

nonthaburi Apr 24th 2019 1:18 pm

Re: New Baby/ passport
 

Originally Posted by IntMon (Post 12675110)

very useful information. Do you know if there’s a similar process for renewing a child’s passport from Saudi? I heard you could do it online but not sure how it works, especially if I have to ship current passport to the UK.

it's fairly straightforward, you send them off to Liverpool and they get DHL to send everything back. Then go to the local passport office to get information updated on the Saudi side.

Millhouse Apr 24th 2019 1:33 pm

Re: New Baby/ passport
 

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12675104)
forgetting the passport, I'd seriously reconsider going back to work. You're never going to get that time back again. And without coming over all feminist, but the first few months is a nightmare. Maybe your wife could do with a hand!

yeh. Point well taken.

I’m actually allowed to take 10weeks at any time over the year. In chunks. So 2-3 weeks now and then the balance sometime in the summer I think to support her during the miserable months.

We have her god mother coming for a month in about a week and that means home is no place for me be around. I think I’ll do some work trips.

Thanks for the passport info everyone. One question... I assume they will send back the birth certificate, and do I need to send both the English and Arabic ones(



Scamp Apr 25th 2019 10:30 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 
Congrats buddy.

csdf Apr 25th 2019 11:18 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 
How long is this taking at the moment? Need to renew my son's passport and only 6 weeks till we fly.

BritInParis Apr 25th 2019 11:47 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 
Turnaround times from low risk countries are very quick - a few days to be actually processed when it received in the UK. You will need to factor in the speed and reliability of your local postal service however. The GOV.UK will give you country specific advice.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

To the OP: consular birth registration is not required but I would really recommend for children born in the Middle East as an insurance policy against not being able to obtain birth certificates and other documents from the country in question in years to come.

The Wiki has detailed information: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Briti..._Registration_

Millhouse Apr 25th 2019 2:12 pm

Re: New Baby/ passport
 

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12675599)
Turnaround times from low risk countries are very quick - a few days to be actually processed when it received in the UK. You will need to factor in the speed and reliability of your local postal service however. The GOV.UK will give you country specific advice.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

To the OP: consular birth registration is not required but I would really recommend for children born in the Middle East as an insurance policy against not being able to obtain birth certificates and other documents from the country in question in years to come.

The Wiki has detailed information: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Briti..._Registration_

thank you. Much appreciated. Good point about the birth certificate.

scot47 Apr 25th 2019 2:22 pm

Re: New Baby/ passport
 
My youngest daughter was born in Jeddah 18 years ago.Registrationat the British Conbsulate has paid off. We needed copies of the birth certificate and I got that quite simply with a phone call within UK and a debit card.

"City ob Birth - Jeddah" has a certain charm but I ewould not want to be forced to get a copy vrom the "Baladiyyah" there at long distance.

Pulaski Apr 25th 2019 3:04 pm

Re: New Baby/ passport
 

Originally Posted by IntMon (Post 12675110)
… Very useful information. Do you know if there’s a similar process for renewing a child’s passport from Saudi? I heard you could do it online but not sure how it works, ….

All British passports can be renewed on-line, no matter the age of the pp holder or where in the world they live. ALL British passports are issued in the UK, no exceptions.

Bob Apr 25th 2019 5:17 pm

Re: New Baby/ passport
 
Congrats on the new sprog!

BEVS Apr 26th 2019 4:03 am

Re: New Baby/ passport
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12675090)
Hello...

During the thunder storm two weeks ago another Millhouse was born. A little girl who is super awesome, healthy and cute. Born on a Wednesday during a thunderstorm, just like her brother 12 years ago.

Happy news.

Welcome to the world little Miss Millhouse.

Congrats to you and your family.





All times are GMT. The time now is 7:50 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.