Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Baby/ passport

New Baby/ passport

Old Oct 6th 2020, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Baby/ passport

Originally Posted by csdf
This is to get British birth certificates, which you don't need for a passport. They can be handy if, many years down the line, you/your child(ren) lose the UAE birth certificates and don't live here any more. It also means the births will be recorded in the UK Index of Births, so helping future genealogists eager to trace their descent from Sir Millhouse.
Phew, that was my understanding.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234
My reckoning is that although it’s not needed now, Sod’s law says that when you do need it, it’ll be an absolute ball ache to get. So best just jump through the hoops now and be relived of a little cash to reduce stress further down the line!
Ok. I see your point.

My view on these things is that will be their problem. A bit like their inability to automatically pass on the citizenship.

That said, I did start to think how useless a use birth certificate will be in the U.K.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 11:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Ok. I see your point.

My view on these things is that will be their problem. A bit like their inability to automatically pass on the citizenship.

That said, I did start to think how useless a use birth certificate will be in the U.K.
That’s pretty much the primary motivation.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They just got in touch to say that I'm missing some documents... apparently I only sent my short-form birth certificate. Interestingly I've never seen a long-form one and this is exactly the same document I sent only 18months ago. Seems that John Millhouse Smith is not a common enough English name and needs more due diligence.

50 quid lighter and hopefully a long-form will be sent to them from the GRO. I wish my kids good luck and all the best when they incur such a problem in the future.

Old Oct 15th 2020, 1:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Short form certificates should never be accepted for passport applications - they’re effectively useless. I’m very surprised it was accepted previously. Is Mrs Millhouse UK-born? If so did you provide her birth certificate last time?
Old Oct 15th 2020, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Short form certificates should never be accepted for passport applications - they’re effectively useless. I’m very surprised it was accepted previously. Is Mrs Millhouse UK-born? If so did you provide her birth certificate last time?
nope. Mrs millhouse is not British. I guess I got lucky last time. Defo same docs.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse
nope. Mrs millhouse is not British. I guess I got lucky last time. Defo same docs.
Tsk tsk, someone at HMPO dropped the ball on that one then.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Tsk tsk, someone at HMPO dropped the ball on that one then.
Last time I also sent mum's birth certificate (kenya) - but decided not to this time as useless. So yes, I guess they got it wrong.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 10:21 am
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

When going throught the process for myself and the kids, I sent certified copies of the passports and a letter pointing out that residents need to be able to produce a passport at short notice if required by the authorities and that they are needed in case a short notice evacuation was required. No complaints came from the home office.

I think registering the birth abroad may be handy for the child if they need to get a birth certificate in the future. Getting a UK document may be much easier than than getting one from the UAE authorities.