Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Baby/ passport

New Baby/ passport

Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Baby/ passport

Hello...

During the thunder storm two weeks ago another Millhouse was born. A little girl who is super awesome, healthy and cute. Born on a Wednesday during a thunderstorm, just like her brother 12 years ago.

I’m basking in my 10 weeks paternity leave. Yes you read that right although I’m actually getting bored of my semi retirement lifestyle so will go back next week.

Ive got the birth certificate sorted... but am clueless on the passport. Anyone know roughly the process or where I can find it. I assume a trip to see the Indian mafia at the embassy will be in order - can I do it in Dubai or is it ABu Dhabi?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all
Default Re: New Baby/ passport

Congratulations!

No you don’t need to go to the embassy. I just did it a few months ago. It’s all online.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

You need your long birth certificate with your parents details on it and the birth certificate you got from the hospital here for your daughter.

Just fill in the application online and send the original required documents. (Your birth certificate, her UAE birth certificate, application form, certified photos and I threw in a passport copy for good measure)

You pay online.

They send the passport and the original documents back to you in 2 separate shipments by DHL.

Good luck with the passport photos. Our first 20 attempts were hilarious!

You don’t need to register the birth abroad to do the passport application. Here are the guidelines https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth, I haven’t done it and am not sure what the benefit is anyway.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hello...

During the thunder storm two weeks ago another Millhouse was born. A little girl who is super awesome, healthy and cute. Born on a Wednesday during a thunderstorm, just like her brother 12 years ago.

I’m basking in my 10 weeks paternity leave. Yes you read that right although I’m actually getting bored of my semi retirement lifestyle so will go back next week.

Ive got the birth certificate sorted... but am clueless on the passport. Anyone know roughly the process or where I can find it. I assume a trip to see the Indian mafia at the embassy will be in order - can I do it in Dubai or is it ABu Dhabi?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
forgetting the passport, I'd seriously reconsider going back to work. You're never going to get that time back again. And without coming over all feminist, but the first few months is a nightmare. Maybe your wife could do with a hand!
Old Apr 24th 2019, 10:24 am
Just Joined

IntMon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234
Congratulations!

No you don’t need to go to the embassy. I just did it a few months ago. It’s all online.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

You need your long birth certificate with your parents details on it and the birth certificate you got from the hospital here for your daughter.

Just fill in the application online and send the original required documents. (Your birth certificate, her UAE birth certificate, application form, certified photos and I threw in a passport copy for good measure)

You pay online.

They send the passport and the original documents back to you in 2 separate shipments by DHL.

Good luck with the passport photos. Our first 20 attempts were hilarious!

You don’t need to register the birth abroad to do the passport application. Here are the guidelines https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth, I haven’t done it and am not sure what the benefit is anyway.
very useful information. Do you know if there’s a similar process for renewing a child’s passport from Saudi? I heard you could do it online but not sure how it works, especially if I have to ship current passport to the UK.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

I know you can renew online but you have to send the original back to them for cancellation. After calling the passport office a few times I got conflicting stories. Some said you must send the original immediately and others said it could be sent for cancellation after receipt of the new one.

I work in aviation so need my passport at all times. I just booked an appointment at the passport office in Liverpool and flew over to get it done in a few hours.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 1:18 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IntMon

very useful information. Do you know if there’s a similar process for renewing a child’s passport from Saudi? I heard you could do it online but not sure how it works, especially if I have to ship current passport to the UK.
it's fairly straightforward, you send them off to Liverpool and they get DHL to send everything back. Then go to the local passport office to get information updated on the Saudi side.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
forgetting the passport, I'd seriously reconsider going back to work. You're never going to get that time back again. And without coming over all feminist, but the first few months is a nightmare. Maybe your wife could do with a hand!
yeh. Point well taken.

I’m actually allowed to take 10weeks at any time over the year. In chunks. So 2-3 weeks now and then the balance sometime in the summer I think to support her during the miserable months.

We have her god mother coming for a month in about a week and that means home is no place for me be around. I think I’ll do some work trips.

Thanks for the passport info everyone. One question... I assume they will send back the birth certificate, and do I need to send both the English and Arabic ones(

Old Apr 25th 2019, 10:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Congrats buddy.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

How long is this taking at the moment? Need to renew my son's passport and only 6 weeks till we fly.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 11:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Turnaround times from low risk countries are very quick - a few days to be actually processed when it received in the UK. You will need to factor in the speed and reliability of your local postal service however. The GOV.UK will give you country specific advice.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

To the OP: consular birth registration is not required but I would really recommend for children born in the Middle East as an insurance policy against not being able to obtain birth certificates and other documents from the country in question in years to come.

The Wiki has detailed information: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Briti..._Registration_
Old Apr 25th 2019, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Turnaround times from low risk countries are very quick - a few days to be actually processed when it received in the UK. You will need to factor in the speed and reliability of your local postal service however. The GOV.UK will give you country specific advice.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

To the OP: consular birth registration is not required but I would really recommend for children born in the Middle East as an insurance policy against not being able to obtain birth certificates and other documents from the country in question in years to come.

The Wiki has detailed information: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Briti..._Registration_
thank you. Much appreciated. Good point about the birth certificate.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest daughter was born in Jeddah 18 years ago.Registrationat the British Conbsulate has paid off. We needed copies of the birth certificate and I got that quite simply with a phone call within UK and a debit card.

"City ob Birth - Jeddah" has a certain charm but I ewould not want to be forced to get a copy vrom the "Baladiyyah" there at long distance.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 3:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IntMon
… Very useful information. Do you know if there’s a similar process for renewing a child’s passport from Saudi? I heard you could do it online but not sure how it works, ….
All British passports can be renewed on-line, no matter the age of the pp holder or where in the world they live. ALL British passports are issued in the UK, no exceptions.
Old Apr 25th 2019, 5:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the new sprog!
Old Apr 26th 2019, 4:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hello...

Happy news.

Welcome to the world little Miss Millhouse.

Congrats to you and your family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.