the new adventure

Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:35 am
Just Joined

alycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the new adventure

Hi

My husband is fast approaching the time whether or not to accept a job in riyadh.

Having read the guide and numerous posts for answers to my questions, i'm really sorry but I still would like to ask a few things.

The company would provide the accomodation within a compound (thankfully by the sounds of it) and a car and sort out a work visa and ID, having read other posts it appears that the wives and family have to wait for this to be arranged before joining their husbands, not a problem if this is the case but am I reading this wrong?

I wouldn't be working at least initially and have no children (yet) how difficult is it to get work paid or otherwise if I decided to at a later date.

I play golf on a regular basis and have seen there are several courses and pleasantly surprised that they have ladies days and competitons, my question is that as a female not allowed to drive (my husband and his friends say this is a good thing cheeky wotsits!) other than relying on my husband what are my options for getting around when not in his company?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:10 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the new adventure

I lived in Saudi from 2001 to 2004. As far as I am aware, things are the same as when I was there:

You should be able to travel with your husband, the Iqama takes a while to process and you will be included on it. Your husbands company should process your entry visa at the same time as your husbands.

You can travel by taxi or with your husbands companies driver if they have one. You cannot travel with another male who is not your husband/uncle/brother/father etc so hitching a lift with a (male) friend is not an option unless your husband is with you.

Most of the golf is played in the compounds, so once you are in the compound, western standards of behaviour are the norm.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:12 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

..... and regards getting work, you are limited in choice. Nursing/health, education (either teaching or administration) are virtually the only options available.

You do not say what type of work you are in, so difficult to advise further.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

alycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Victor, thanks for your reply although a further reply from someone who is more current than 2004 in the Kingdom would be appreciated. I have looked at certain golf websites and have seen that they do have golf days for ladies and indeed ladies and men play golf together, these appear to be private golf clubs does anybody know more on this (not just the golf at Arizona compound) but outside of compounds. Is it safe and acceptable for a lady to travel by taxi to one of these golf clubs?

Thank you in advance
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, have recently left Riyadh - Arizona Compound has a golf course, and there is one at the Intercon, one out in Dirab (about 40 mins drive) and oneof the other side of Riyadh which is about 20 mins drive. You can be driven round by a driver - the compounds usually have their own set of drivers for use. You don't have to have your husband with you tobe driven by these guys, but you can't have another man in the car who you are not related to. You are advised not to use the street taxies althought the kids and I did when we first arrived, before we found a tame driver - and we survived.

There are loads of women who play golf, it seemed Tuesday was 'golf day' on Kingdom compund as many women would be waiting at the gate for the drivers as we left for work.

Second the comments re work, for non-recognised professions (medical/teaching mainly) there are few jobs available, but they are out there. I worked as an adminstrator at a British nursery for two years and it saved my sanity.

Good luck
N