British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   New AD Beach (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-ad-beach-545743/)

lionheart Jun 28th 2008 3:51 pm

New AD Beach

According to Gulf News, they are shortly to open a new 2.0km stretch of sandy beach with adjacent parkland and amenities on the Abu Dhabi corniche. If only Dubai rulers had the same mentality instead of concrete and more concrete. I really envy you guys living down there.

busybee2 Jun 28th 2008 4:20 pm

Re: New AD Beach

yeh they have been building this new beach, this being because they are building a concrete jungle on the other public beach, so they have moved it basically up the road a little, it would have been finished long time ago, but they decided as an afterthought they needed a car park....! but yes at least they have replaced it, unlike all the green areas called parks, whereby they are building on them as well, so really no difference between the two.

Sam FTQ Jun 28th 2008 5:15 pm

It is stunning, absolutely beautiful. I have watched them transform it over the last few months from my window. Fine white sand, plenty of shade, play areas, the odd restaurant... they have done a fantastic job and the residents of Abu Dhabi are very lucky.

cherrypie1 Jun 28th 2008 5:22 pm

Isn't the old public beach going to be a private beach for the new hotel that is being built next to the Hilton, hardly a concrete jungle. The new public beach looks amazing with loads of palm trees and parasols and I'm sure that if they hadn't built a car park there would have been ructions. I'm pretty sure that sure that we won't renew our beach club membership next year and we will use the new beach instead, at least you can take your own food and drink instead of being charged dhs30 for a glass of coke as is the case with so many private beaches. Also, the view is much better than our club (le meridien). I think it's great, they could have just let the public beach go (as they have at Al Raha) and that would be the end of that.

soukie Jun 28th 2008 5:32 pm

Public beaches are fine as long as you don't mind the stares from the groups of fully clothed men who sit on them! We used to go to the old beach (where Emirates Palace is now) - great place but you could not relax due to all the staring etc. :curse:

weescot Jun 28th 2008 5:56 pm

Indeed looks is wonderful, complete with baywatch style lookout towers (binos in apartment all ready!)

twinkle-star Jun 28th 2008 5:57 pm

Oh i wondered what they were up to...just up ones road...lovely!:D

Eva Jun 28th 2008 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 6513679)
Public beaches are fine as long as you don't mind the stares from the groups of fully clothed men who sit on them! We used to go to the old beach (where Emirates Palace is now) - great place but you could not relax due to all the staring etc. :curse:

Goes with the territory don't you think?-personally I think most are harmless and more to be pitied fortheir wretched lifestyle than criticised.
Only my opinion. Saw the renderings of the new beach some time ago and its a great project-so long as it doesn't scare the dolphins away............
AD is nothing like Dubai in terms of environment and fabric.

twinkle-star Jun 28th 2008 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6513751)
Goes with the territory don't you think?-personally I think most are harmless and more to be pitied fortheir wretched lifestyle than criticised.
Only my opinion. Saw the renderings of the new beach some time ago and its a great project-so long as it doesn't scare the dolphins away............
AD is nothing like Dubai in terms of environment and fabric.

They will just stick the Dolphins in the big tank in Dubai now!....;)

Madam Medusa Jun 28th 2008 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6513751)

i totally agree eva...

MM, xx

Confucius Jun 28th 2008 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6513787)
i totally agree eva...

MM, xx

Yes...I also...

Eva Jun 28th 2008 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6513758)
They will just stick the Dolphins in the big tank in Dubai now!....;)

Oh you are just saying that coz I said I don't like pussycats............

kidding

Eva Jun 28th 2008 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6513803)
Oh you are just saying that coz I said I don't like pussycats............

kidding

I don't like pussycats still in case I confuse

busybee2 Jun 28th 2008 6:23 pm

yes the old public beach will still be a beach, yes for the new hotel they are building on the area opposite which used to be all green parks, which now they are all building on them all, and yes the old old public beach which is now the emirates palace was a lovely bit of sand, and of course the raha beach which is now a big construction site as well, and of course lulu island which they transported all those millions of lorries of sweet sand only to stop that idea and decide to use it for development and not a nature reserve instead and of course lets dig up all the mangroves on both 30th and 8th st for development as well. yes they will i am sure build some more beaches on the new developments on the islands but will they be public, doubt it, what makes me laugh about raha beach, even though it is opposite um al naar, was that when they built the new airport junction they had to move it down half a mile because of the possibilty of cars looking into the ladies beach, so they redesigned and built it and then of course they flattened the beach, and that is why now they are having to build another bridge over from raha gardens etc to raha beach just along from the flyover bridge because that is where it should have been in the first place.

cherrypie1 Jun 28th 2008 6:33 pm

Personally don't care if they stare, I am used to it now, I only have to step out of my car and they stare! I have seen loads of indians and pakistanis (men) in their swimmers on the public beach, normally in a 'catalogue man' type pose. :ohmy: Also I think that there will be a lot more westeners on the new beach and wearing a swimsuit will not be so much of an issue anymore.