Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Nervous about arriving in Riyadh.

Nervous about arriving in Riyadh.

Old Jul 31st 2011, 10:59 am
Just Joined

mlawrence00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nervous about arriving in Riyadh.

Good afternoon.

I will be coming to Riyadh, I believe next week, possibly the week after. I am a 26 year-old single British male. Decided to come to Saudi after a 2-year stint in China.

I have read that Saudi can be a tough place to live for foreigners, and that a good social network is what's required. Thus, this is what I am working on now.

I am hugely interested in cycling, just sold my Trek road bike, and plan on hooking up with the Riyadh Wheelers when I get there. But, also I am studying Chinese quite intensively. Therefore, if there are any British-Chinese expats who would like to hangout speaking your mother tongue, that'd be awesome!

Also, I would like to meet new people, I like sports, in fact, any sport and I am in. Otherwise, coffee, and/or dinner would be great!

I look forward to arriving in Saudi, and hopefully meeting a few, or preferably, a lot, of you!

Cheers,

Matt.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 11:02 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervous about arriving in Riyadh.

welcome on bored
Old Jul 31st 2011, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with the move!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

welcome

There's a Dragon Mart at exit 5 of the ring road (in Le Mall @ 5 - there's a lso a Carrefour there) selling a load of Chinese products if you wish to practice your lingo there!!

You should settle in fine. A fair amount of social stuff for those willing to seek it out.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by saudiflares
welcome

There's a Dragon Mart at exit 5 of the ring road (in Le Mall @ 5 - there's a lso a Carrefour there) selling a load of Chinese products if you wish to practice your lingo there!!

You should settle in fine. A fair amount of social stuff for those willing to seek it out.
Thank you very much everyone. I look forward to arriving.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Saudi during Ramadan.. Stick with it- it will only get better!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Moving to Saudi during Ramadan.. Stick with it- it will only get better!
Oh.... That doesn't sound promising. :-)
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Dubai (i Know its very different to Saudi) during Ramadan and wasnt aware of what that entailed- ie the country coming near enough to a standstill! I wanted to get on the next plane home so just be aware that its only for a while and it does get better- hopefully youll have some guys at work that will take you under their wing :-) anyway think the worst and it can only be better! and its a tad hot here at the moment- you're actually moving here at the absolute worst time possible... Good luck!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I moved to Dubai (i Know its very different to Saudi) during Ramadan and wasnt aware of what that entailed- ie the country coming near enough to a standstill! I wanted to get on the next plane home so just be aware that its only for a while and it does get better- hopefully youll have some guys at work that will take you under their wing :-) anyway think the worst and it can only be better! and its a tad hot here at the moment- you're actually moving here at the absolute worst time possible... Good luck!
Ahhhh.. it'll be fine... I lived in China, and whilst you could eat/drink etc during Chinese New Year, again much of the country came to a standstill. As long as I can get to the supermarket, I don't mind! Also, if it's the worst time at least my complaining will be short lived as things will only get better :-)

Thank you for your advice, and help.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlawrence00
Ahhhh.. it'll be fine... I lived in China, and whilst you could eat/drink etc during Chinese New Year, again much of the country came to a standstill. As long as I can get to the supermarket, I don't mind! Also, if it's the worst time at least my complaining will be short lived as things will only get better :-)

Thank you for your advice, and help.
Have you sorted your accommodation out yet? It's crucial to do it before you arrive, unless your employer has got somewhere for you.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
Have you sorted your accommodation out yet? It's crucial to do it before you arrive, unless your employer has got somewhere for you.
Thanks for the advice. But, yes, my employer is arranging everything!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

andyli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mlawrence00
Thanks for the advice. But, yes, my employer is arranging everything!

Hoping you got survived in Riyadh in the past few months, i am Chinese just moved in Riyadh and try to hooking up with some new friends here....