Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

NEOM Potential Job

NEOM Potential Job

Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NEOM Potential Job

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I didn't know there was a school opening and my comment wasn't directed at you. I had my kids in the school system in Saudi for 6 years until they left in 2018. The main reason being the options were very limited in provincial KSA where I was at the time and still am, and by provincial I mean a city of 1 millionish.

So there may be a school opening soon, what kind of school it is, who it's going to be catering for, and whether it's any good or not is another matter entirely. In the future Neon may be a great place to bring up your children, but for the next 5-10 years at least I would suggest this is highly unlikely. No teacher worth their salt is going to want to live in the back of beyond when higher pay, better social life, and better living conditions are on offer elsewhere.

YMMV however.
I understand where you're coming from. I've learned to be wary in the Gulf.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

If he's entering in a business or visitor visa then you won't be able to join him period. He will need to enter on an employment visa from which an iqama is then based. How quickly you get your iqama depends on how efficient the HR department is. It shouldn't take any more than a week.

Generally speaking business visas and visitor visas are for short term workers only. The holder has very little recourse if there's a problem and you cannot change to an employment visa incountry. Although not unusual for companies to get people in the country on a business visa, it's not ideal if you want to be together long-term. Often it's an easy way for the company to see what someone is like before they start the employment visa process. It's win win for the company. Less hassle for them and no issues if it doesn't work out. Buyer beware.
I was told by a former Saudi resident today that it can take up to 6 months, mainly for an Iqama for an employee + dependents but that it's quick for an independent employee. Is that right?
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 6:05 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
I was told by a former Saudi resident today that it can take up to 6 months, mainly for an Iqama for an employee + dependents but that it's quick for an independent employee. Is that right?
Technically, yes. But in practice very unlikely. By law an iqama must be issued within 90 days of arrival. IME employers often use this period to see what an employee is like. However, like another poster said, if it's not sorted fairly soon this should raise a flag as to how much the company values you, and an indicator of how things will be with HR in the future.

For the dependent iqama, it's always been quick IME, there's no reason for any delay. It's a very straightforward process paperwork wise. Dependent monthly fees must be paid in advance, medical at government clinic etc I, but apart from that..... The only reason for any delay is lazy HR, which again should raise a flag as to the employee's perceived value, or incompetent HR, which would also be an indicator of the future.

So technically yes, 90 days for the employee, and 90 days for the dependent is 6 months. But very unlikely in practice.

Old Jun 2nd 2021, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

Interesting. I spoke to a Neom employee recently who told me they are on a business visa. Maybe there's some confusion in the visa names. But this employee said that their visa needs renewing every 90 days.
Probably the same one I’m on.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Technically, yes. But in practice very unlikely. By law an iqama must be issued within 90 days of arrival. IME employers often use this period to see what an employee is like. However, like another poster said, if it's not sorted fairly soon this should raise a flag as to how much the company values you, and an indicator of how things will be with HR in the future.

For the dependent iqama, it's always been quick IME, there's no reason for any delay. It's a very straightforward process paperwork wise. Dependent monthly fees must be paid in advance, medical at government clinic etc I, but apart from that..... The only reason for any delay is lazy HR, which again should raise a flag as to the employee's perceived value, or incompetent HR, which would also be an indicator of the future.

So technically yes, 90 days for the employee, and 90 days for the dependent is 6 months. But very unlikely in practice.
Iqama in a week is dreamy.
Attesting certificates is the brutal bit and where it's processed from - ie; medical in the UK etc.

We do lots of business visas whilst processing iqamas.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby
Probably the same one I’m on.
You've been on a business visa since Sept 2020 and they haven't changed it yet?
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

I think my Iqama is imminent. Mrs TH has been a bit lax in getting things sent back...
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think my Iqama is imminent. Mrs TH has been a bit lax in getting things sent back...
Hope you get it soon!

Can I ask, when you moved out there, what did you do with your furniture and personal belongings where you lived previously? Long-term storage with plans to ship later possibly if moving into a villa?
We're in London, UK, at the moment and have been told the cabins on site at Neom are furnished so of course, there's no requirement for us to ship our furniture.
I'm also told the cabins are a bit small so is my assumption correct in that we should really only take bare necessities, i.e., suitcase of clothes and belongings each? (Husband, wife, 2 kids).
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 3:12 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Iqama in a week is dreamy.
Attesting certificates is the brutal bit and where it's processed from - ie; medical in the UK etc.

We do lots of business visas whilst processing iqamas.
Iqama for dependents in a week not the employee. Very straightforward.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hope you get it soon!

Can I ask, when you moved out there, what did you do with your furniture and personal belongings where you lived previously? Long-term storage with plans to ship later possibly if moving into a villa?
We're in London, UK, at the moment and have been told the cabins on site at Neom are furnished so of course, there's no requirement for us to ship our furniture.
I'm also told the cabins are a bit small so is my assumption correct in that we should really only take bare necessities, i.e., suitcase of clothes and belongings each? (Husband, wife, 2 kids).
We put everything in storage and have no plans to bring anything over. Had a couple of suitcases each. As you say, the cabins aren’t massive but they are a decent enough size and furnished. The Tamimi sells a bunch of essentials if you need anything, and Amazon deliver out here now.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

We put everything in storage and have no plans to bring anything over. Had a couple of suitcases each. As you say, the cabins aren’t massive but they are a decent enough size and furnished. The Tamimi sells a bunch of essentials if you need anything, and Amazon deliver out here now.
Great to hear about Amazon. What storage company did you go with (Assuming you are storing in the UK?)
Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

We just used a local one that had decent reviews. No idea what the next move will be so it all could be sat there for quite a while.
Old Jun 5th 2021, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris - have you already moved over? How has it been so far?
Not got there just yet!! Had a 2 week quarantine in Bahrain which was great as after the first test came back negative you are allowed to go out of the hotel, head to the bars etc etc. I'm now in a dump of a hotel in Riyadh where I'm not allowed to leave the room for a week with food parcels brought to the door (rubbish food - thank good for Hunger Station!)

I've got my 6th day test on Monday then a flight to Tabuk on Tuesday pending test results.

Will let you guys know what it's like when/if I get there. I'm not sure if I'm going to be based on NEOM base camp or our companies camp in Duba.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris79
Not got there just yet!! Had a 2 week quarantine in Bahrain which was great as after the first test came back negative you are allowed to go out of the hotel, head to the bars etc etc. I'm now in a dump of a hotel in Riyadh where I'm not allowed to leave the room for a week with food parcels brought to the door (rubbish food - thank good for Hunger Station!)

I've got my 6th day test on Monday then a flight to Tabuk on Tuesday pending test results.

Will let you guys know what it's like when/if I get there. I'm not sure if I'm going to be based on NEOM base camp or our companies camp in Duba.
Hey Chris

How's it going in Neom? Curious to hear your first impressions. Hope you survived the week in Riyadh.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 10:28 am
Just Joined

expatmaybe is an unknown quantity at this point

Not so much so it wasn't worth it - just the new role in Dubai was also good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.