Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

NEOM Potential Job

NEOM Potential Job

Old Apr 30th 2021, 7:40 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEOM Potential Job

Originally Posted by flares
The one near us in Riyadh was great. It had a brewers isle with all you needed in one convenient place. Crates of Rauch juice, big bags of sugar and yeast
Ahhh. Saudi supermarkets AKA Brewer's heaven. 😁
Old May 2nd 2021, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Danube for convenience, having Barley malt extract and molasses on the same shelf makes life so much easier. But back to the subject, Neom is a new town which is being built from scratch in the wilderness a very limited amount of infrastructure is already in place and it is very remote and far between. There is an airport on the coast and another at the other end of the Line at Al Ula both have limited number of flights to Jeddah and Riyadh. You will most likely find yourself living on a camp or in a hotel, accommodation is limited. Air crew refuse to overnight because the quality of accommodation is so poor. Their are no hospitals to speak of and the local shops are stocked to meet the needs of the local market although this will obviously change over time if it has not already. (My information is pre-covid)
Old May 31st 2021, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby
Just messaged you back, sorry it’s a bit late. If you are at Base Camp there’s a Tamimi. Various shops in Duba, and there are some malls in Tabuk a couple of hours away. We just wait to buy stuff in Dubai or Bahrain really.
Hi there. Bit of a relief to hear there's at least a small supermarket on site! How often do you manage to get away to head to Dubai or Bahrain?

My husband's just been offered a job there but we have two toddlers so we are mulling it over. Neom HR is assuring us that 2 bedroom cabins will be available by September on Base Camp (when they want my husband there) but someone on the ground has told me otherwise and has also mentioned that myself and my kids might have a hard time getting our iqama or that it takes much longer than expected. Of course HR is telling us wonderful things and that everything will be ready once we arrive in September but I would love to know what another current resident/employee thinks about it being ready for families? We're seasoned expats of the Gulf and have been to KSA several times but have never lived somewhere so remote with little ones so I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have on this. Thank you.

Old May 31st 2021, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chris79
Hi Mandrage,
I've just put my resignation in at my current place and looking at mobilising to NEOM mid May! Might see you there.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone is there already and what it is like? Any shops etc etc.
Hi Chris - have you already moved over? How has it been so far?
Old Jun 1st 2021, 8:36 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Hi there. Bit of a relief to hear there's at least a small supermarket on site! How often do you manage to get away to head to Dubai or Bahrain?

My husband's just been offered a job there but we have two toddlers so we are mulling it over. Neom HR is assuring us that 2 bedroom cabins will be available by September on Base Camp (when they want my husband there) but someone on the ground has told me otherwise and has also mentioned that myself and my kids might have a hard time getting our iqama or that it takes much longer than expected. Of course HR is telling us wonderful things and that everything will be ready once we arrive in September but I would love to know what another current resident/employee thinks about it being ready for families? We're seasoned expats of the Gulf and have been to KSA several times but have never lived somewhere so remote with little ones so I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have on this. Thank you.
Have you considered what you'll do about schooling in the future because there will be zero options there. I would suggest your husband goes solo for the first 6 months to check it out
Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Have you considered what you'll do about schooling in the future because there will be zero options there. I would suggest your husband goes solo for the first 6 months to check it out
Both kids are not yet school age but when it gets to that point I'd probably need to take them to Dubai or stay in Jeddah or Riyadh. Apparently a nursery is opening in Neom later this year which I would make use of. I think a school is set to open too. Maybe by the time the kids reach that age there will be better options but at the moment I'm aware of the reality of needing to move around. We're considering husband going out there first. May be necessary anyway considering the length of time it'll take for him to get an iqama and have us over as sponsored family members. Please correct me if my understanding of the KSA visa/iqama system is not right. I'm told he'd enter on a business or visitor visa and need to wait for an iqama to be issued before spouse/kids can join.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

We came out in September and have been to Dubai twice, the Maldives and Bahrain, with a bonus week in Dubai when the border was closed at New Year :-) Obviously travel rules are changing all the time, but it’s been relatively easy given what’s been going on. I’ve heard direct flights from Tabuk to Dubai should be resuming soon, which would be great.

There are more and more children here every week. No idea about family cabins, but there are certainly toddlers here. Some people have been getting their Iqama quickly whereas others have taken longer. It seems to be fairly random, but that’s usual I think. Obviously the nursery should be open soon too. We don’t have kids so can’t really offer any first-hand advice other than that there are kids here.

As for the supermarket, don’t forget the mess hall - I’ve not cooked since we arrived in camp!

Other than the school that is opening? Odd comment to post.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

We came out in September and have been to Dubai twice, the Maldives and Bahrain, with a bonus week in Dubai when the border was closed at New Year :-) Obviously travel rules are changing all the time, but it’s been relatively easy given what’s been going on. I’ve heard direct flights from Tabuk to Dubai should be resuming soon, which would be great.

There are more and more children here every week. No idea about family cabins, but there are certainly toddlers here. Some people have been getting their Iqama quickly whereas others have taken longer. It seems to be fairly random, but that’s usual I think. Obviously the nursery should be open soon too. We don’t have kids so can’t really offer any first-hand advice other than that there are kids here.

As for the supermarket, don’t forget the mess hall - I’ve not cooked since we arrived in camp!

Thanks for the reply. When you say some people have been getting their Iqama quickly, how quickly is that? Most importantly, what's the food like? Lol
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:35 pm

I didn't know there was a school opening and my comment wasn't directed at you. I had my kids in the school system in Saudi for 6 years until they left in 2018. The main reason being the options were very limited in provincial KSA where I was at the time and still am, and by provincial I mean a city of 1 millionish.

So there may be a school opening soon, what kind of school it is, who it's going to be catering for, and whether it's any good or not is another matter entirely. In the future Neon may be a great place to bring up your children, but for the next 5-10 years at least I would suggest this is highly unlikely. No teacher worth their salt is going to want to live in the back of beyond when higher pay, better social life, and better living conditions are on offer elsewhere.

YMMV however.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:51 pm

Both kids are not yet school age but when it gets to that point I'd probably need to take them to Dubai or stay in Jeddah or Riyadh. Apparently a nursery is opening in Neom later this year which I would make use of. I think a school is set to open too. Maybe by the time the kids reach that age there will be better options but at the moment I'm aware of the reality of needing to move around. We're considering husband going out there first. May be necessary anyway considering the length of time it'll take for him to get an iqama and have us over as sponsored family members. Please correct me if my understanding of the KSA visa/iqama system is not right. I'm told he'd enter on a business or visitor visa and need to wait for an iqama to be issued before spouse/kids can join.
If he's entering in a business or visitor visa then you won't be able to join him period. He will need to enter on an employment visa from which an iqama is then based. How quickly you get your iqama depends on how efficient the HR department is. It shouldn't take any more than a week.

Generally speaking business visas and visitor visas are for short term workers only. The holder has very little recourse if there's a problem and you cannot change to an employment visa incountry. Although not unusual for companies to get people in the country on a business visa, it's not ideal if you want to be together long-term. Often it's an easy way for the company to see what someone is like before they start the employment visa process. It's win win for the company. Less hassle for them and no issues if it doesn't work out. Buyer beware.

Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:57 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience:
There is no longer a Business Visa option
The Visit Visa is the easiest to get, but has the words "Not Allowed to Work" written on it, needs renewing every 90 days, and can't lead to an Iqama
The Work Visa is harder to get, as it needs your degree certificate approved by the Saudi Embassy in London (Requiring a letter from the issuing University), needs renewing every 90 days, but can be converted to the Iqama in a few days from arrival
Avoid employers that won't commit to getting you an Iqama in a reasonable period (a few weeks from arrival), it will likely end badly.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

So there may be a school opening soon, what kind of school it is, who it's going to be catering for, and whether it's any good or not is another matter entirely.
It’s a school specifically for the children of NEOM employees and part of the camp. I’m sure there are issues with the provincial Saudi school system, but it’s not relevant here and doesn’t help the poster. They may choose to school in Riyadh or Dubai, but there should be an option on site.

Thanks for the reply. When you say some people have been getting their Iqama quickly, how quickly is that? Most importantly, what's the food like? Lol
It’s decent enough. They make an effort to change it up and you’ll always find something. The trick is not to eat too many desserts!!
Old Jun 1st 2021, 8:40 pm

It’s a school specifically for the children of NEOM employees and part of the camp. I’m sure there are issues with the provincial Saudi school system, but it’s not relevant here and doesn’t help the poster. They may choose to school in Riyadh or Dubai, but there should be an option on site.

It’s decent enough. They make an effort to change it up and you’ll always find something. The trick is not to eat too many desserts!!
I admire your optimism.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

If he's entering in a business or visitor visa then you won't be able to join him period. He will need to enter on an employment visa from which an iqama is then based. How quickly you get your iqama depends on how efficient the HR department is. It shouldn't take any more than a week.

Generally speaking business visas and visitor visas are for short term workers only. The holder has very little recourse if there's a problem and you cannot change to an employment visa incountry. Although not unusual for companies to get people in the country on a business visa, it's not ideal if you want to be together long-term. Often it's an easy way for the company to see what someone is like before they start the employment visa process. It's win win for the company. Less hassle for them and no issues if it doesn't work out. Buyer beware.
Very useful info, thank you.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
My experience:
There is no longer a Business Visa option
The Visit Visa is the easiest to get, but has the words "Not Allowed to Work" written on it, needs renewing every 90 days, and can't lead to an Iqama
The Work Visa is harder to get, as it needs your degree certificate approved by the Saudi Embassy in London (Requiring a letter from the issuing University), needs renewing every 90 days, but can be converted to the Iqama in a few days from arrival
Avoid employers that won't commit to getting you an Iqama in a reasonable period (a few weeks from arrival), it will likely end badly.
Interesting. I spoke to a Neom employee recently who told me they are on a business visa. Maybe there's some confusion in the visa names. But this employee said that their visa needs renewing every 90 days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.