British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   NEOM Potential Job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/neom-potential-job-937991/)

Chris79 Apr 6th 2021 6:09 pm

NEOM Potential Job

Evening All,

Not been on here for a while but thought I'd ask the guru's!

I've been offered a job working on the new airport (one of many) they are building in Saudi at the NEOM Project. Is anyone else working there? What is it like, is it worth the massive payrise from the UK?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

flares Apr 7th 2021 11:45 am

Re: NEOM Potential Job

Do It!

Remote I guess but handy for Aqaba, Petra, Al Ula https://www.experiencealula.com/

Interesting work too I guess new airport

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 7th 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 12991990)
Evening All,

Not been on here for a while but thought I'd ask the guru's!

I've been offered a job working on the new airport (one of many) they are building in Saudi at the NEOM Project. Is anyone else working there? What is it like, is it worth the massive payrise from the UK?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Talking to quite a few who have been there or are there at the moment and most are looking for a gig in Riyadh rather than remote.
If the deal is good and there's a regular rotation or opportunity to escape then it's worth it. If the camps are nice then it's probably good for a year or two of banking lots.

Chris79 Apr 7th 2021 11:57 am

Cheers Flares, Al Ula looks nice for a couple of days visit. Still waiting for the visa guys to contact me, I know things go slow over there so I'm not holding my breath!!

Chris79 Apr 7th 2021 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12992257)
Talking to quite a few who have been there or are there at the moment and most are looking for a gig in Riyadh rather than remote.
If the deal is good and there's a regular rotation or opportunity to escape then it's worth it. If the camps are nice then it's probably good for a year or two of banking lots.

Thanks Scamp, my thoughts are do a year or two and clear all my debt and have a nice little pot in the bank. Decent deal £10k a month plus accommodation paid for as well - seems too good to be true! I think I can manage to be in a slightly dodgy place for that much

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 7th 2021 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 12992262)
Thanks Scamp, my thoughts are do a year or two and clear all my debt and have a nice little pot in the bank. Decent deal £10k a month plus accommodation paid for as well - seems too good to be true! I think I can manage to be in a slightly dodgy place for that much

Is what it is, the money will be good because you won't spend anything.
You'll just have to be mindful of every long weekend in Dubai or Bahrain to not spend everything you've saved on beer and hookers.

Johnnyboy11 Apr 7th 2021 2:29 pm

Do It! +1

Remote camp life is do-able, as long as your phone pings once a month confirming that salary has been deposited.

Makes me smile :)

Mandrage74 Apr 25th 2021 6:50 am

Chris79 I’m late to the party but having just joined and found this thread, I’m curious to know if you took up the job and if you’re enjoying the experience? I’ve just been offered a position in NEOM too and mulling over the offer. Thanks

Chris79 Apr 25th 2021 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Mandrage74 (Post 12998920)
Chris79 I’m late to the party but having just joined and found this thread, I’m curious to know if you took up the job and if you’re enjoying the experience? I’ve just been offered a position in NEOM too and mulling over the offer. Thanks

Hi Mandrage,
I've just put my resignation in at my current place and looking at mobilising to NEOM mid May! Might see you there.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone is there already and what it is like? Any shops etc etc.

Mandrage74 Apr 25th 2021 8:36 am

Congratulations Chris79 ! Fingers crossed we will be swapping stories in the near future, in NEOM/Tabuk. Best of luck with the move and let me know how it goes!!

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 12998934)
Hi Mandrage,
I've just put my resignation in at my current place and looking at mobilising to NEOM mid May! Might see you there.

Would be interesting to find out if anyone is there already and what it is like? Any shops etc etc.

Trailing_Hubby Apr 28th 2021 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 12998934)
Hi Mandrage,

Just messaged you back, sorry it’s a bit late. If you are at Base Camp there’s a Tamimi. Various shops in Duba, and there are some malls in Tabuk a couple of hours away. We just wait to buy stuff in Dubai or Bahrain really.

flares Apr 29th 2021 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby (Post 13000269)
Just messaged you back, sorry it’s a bit late. If you are at Base Camp there’s a Tamimi. Various shops in Duba, and there are some malls in Tabuk a couple of hours away. We just wait to buy stuff in Dubai or Bahrain really.

Tamimis are great supermarkets - are they still ripping off the Safeway logo?

Trailing_Hubby Apr 29th 2021 7:28 am

I guess they are now I look at it!

nonthaburi Apr 30th 2021 7:22 am

Originally Posted by flares (Post 13000455)
Tamimis are great supermarkets - are they still ripping off the Safeway logo?

Can be a bit pricey though. I find them good for things like meat and cheese, and if you're looking for quirky US/UK import items, but they're often limited with fruit and veg. I think a decent Lulu would be my favourite followed by a decent Carrefour.

flares Apr 30th 2021 9:07 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 13000794)
Can be a bit pricey though. I find them good for things like meat and cheese, and if you're looking for quirky US/UK import items, but they're often limited with fruit and veg. I think a decent Lulu would be my favourite followed by a decent Carrefour.

The one near us in Riyadh was great. It had a brewers isle with all you needed in one convenient place. Crates of Rauch juice, big bags of sugar and yeast