Reload this Page >

NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Old Aug 21st 2022, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

RS1429 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Hi everyone

Posting on behalf of my husband.. Is there anyone who is a UAE based British citizen, who has attested their degree via the Saudi Cultural Attachè in Dubai? If so can you kindly advise the process and what documents to take?

Thank you
Old Aug 21st 2022, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by n_aAUH2neom
Hi, we are in the exact same situation - moving over from the UAE with a 6.5yr and 1.5yr old. We have just been given an option to enroll and have been told that we can enroll starting Jan (our preference).

My husband has also been told - verbally - that NC1 2bed would be about 6 months from now, which matches perfectly.

However, reading other comments about ~18month wait for a 2 bed I am worried that moving over in Jan will not be possible.

Not only this will disrupt the family situation for longer than what we are comfortable with, but also as part of the school enrollment we have to sign the enrollment agreement by which you forfeit your schooling allowance.
So if we end up not having accomodation for the family and have to stay back in UAE, we would be backing out of the school enrollment and hence losing our education allowance..
Is this right or Am I over- complicating things? has anyone had to back out of moving the family there and was able to cancel the school enrollment succesfully? (And reclaim the allowance for use in another school?)

it seems that nc1 2-bed priority list is tied with school enrollment, which is tied to education allowance. But it all comes down to Accomodation availability, so I feel it is not fair that we all have to make serious life decisions without any sort or confirmation of time scales.

Hi,

We were asked to fill out the school enrolment form too and asked for tentative dates when we would expect our son to start. However, it’s tricky to say without having all the docs/visa etc ready. We provisionally put January.
They also told us that once we have a place in school then we can be placed on the waiting list for a 2 bed, but there’s still uncertainty as to when my son can actually join (jan/feb time or if we have to wait till august) and to how long the wait for a 2 bed is. We have considered the option of me staying in the UAE with both kids until accommodation becomes available but the uncertainty is definitely becoming a little stressful.

In terms of the education allowance being forfeited I’m really not sure tbh, we are paying the first term only and then seeing how things pan out over the next couple of months.

We’re living in AD but my husband has been asked to go to Dubai to get his uni degree attested as part of the next step
Old Aug 21st 2022, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Scott78 is an unknown quantity at this point

The school is not really a problem. We started filling the information out in June (28th) and at the beginning on July they sent a notification that the kids were enrolled and ready to start in August (3 kids). In April, we've been told that the waiting list for a 2 bedroom cabins were around 3/6 months, and that were high in the queue due to the number of kids enrolled in the school. After trying to get a more accurate estimate date for the 2 bedroom cabin, they have confirmed by email the waiting list for us would be 18 months. So I have no idea how they expect us to deal with 3 kids and no accomodation. We have asekd them by email what solution they would have for us, and they have not replied just yet.

That is a deal-breaker for us. My wife doesn't want to be a single mother of 3 kids for 18 months (100% understandable) and I don't want to be away from my kids either.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 6:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trailing_Hubby
With the tax though that £360k is almost £200k more a year. If that was me I'd stick the family in Riyadh or Jeddah and be back every weekend. Even Dubai or Bahrain would work. Agree you couldn't live in camp with mixed teens, however.
I guess it depends on the person, I'd assume that most people on hundreds of thousands of pounds a year will have a very comfortable life in the UK and can't see them leaving that to live in the desert and only see their family at weekends. The other factor is that most people at that level get a big chunk of shares/equity as part of their salary each year and from my understanding, NEOM don't recognise anything other than bonuses in their 20-30% uplift calculation. Which means that even with with the tax free aspect, it could be a pay cut for execs. Hence I think they're needing to bump the salary up for them, as otherwise they'll struggle to attract any applicants at that level.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 10:18 am

bxpuser7645372 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scott78
How long did this degree attestation take? I’m about to start mine, and my on-boarder did not provide any timeframe at all, I don’t really know what to expect…. I’m based in NZ
Hey Scott78,
can you please tell me who you used'/how did you go about for your degree attestation? I'm NZ based too and trying to get ahead with the process...
Cheers!
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Ancilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

currently working in saudi (Riyadh).
my partner has been told he will moving to neom 2 from Riyadh .
my questions
1 . Is he allowed visitors ( ie friends or strictly family ) I mean girlfriend
2. How far is neom air port to the camp
3. any hotels near the camp .

thank you all
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Anshjo3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RS1429
Hi, looking for some advice/guidance..

My husband had accepted an offer to work at Neom and is currently going through the onboarding phase. We are a family of 3 (almost 4 as I’m due any day now) and my son is 3 years old.

We were told that 2 bed accommodation will take 9-12 months to become available, is this accurate? We have already sent off details for my son to be enrolled in school, but weren’t given any info as to if he can join mid way through the academic year or if he has to wait till next year 23/24? We are currently living in the UAE so he is starting FS1 (nursery) in a school here in 2 weeks. I believe the school at NEOM is in NC1, does anyone have any experience with having kids in NC2 and commuting?

Also, my husband will be going over first whilst I stay in the UAE with our 2 kids until accommodation becomes available. Does anyone have any insight as to the process of keeping my husbands bank accounts open in the UAE (I don’t have one here) and also the process of keeping our UAE residency status once my husband gives in his notice to his company here?

Thank you in advance!
We've recently moved from UAE, hope these insights will help you out with your decision to move:
1. My husband has stayed in NC2 for 6 months and has moved to 1 Bedroom cabin in NC1 recently. NC1 expansion is still pretty much a construction site, so realistically speaking, we don't expect to move to 2Br cabin for another 3-4months.
2. NC2 studio is just not viable for family even with 1 kid. We've visited my husband for 2 nights and it's just too cramped for 2 persons. NC2 community is also not designed to have kids. There's no playground and except for the pool, small kids will not have any place to play. Bus shuttle between NC1 and NC2 is about 30mins.
3. New school will open in November. It should allow them to double their current student intake.
4.We've opened a freezone company in Fujairah to keep all our residency. This has helped as we didn't have to close dewa, etisalat and bank accounts while in transition.

Having first hand experience of how the onboarding has worked for us, my personal opinion is to try to confirm the school space for your son (or for his name to be put on waitlist) at the soonest and be prepared to fly in and move with your husband as soon as he's been given 1 bedroom cabin in NC1. It seems that it's easier to get 2 bedroom cabins once the family is physically here. If you manage your expectations, 1 BR will suffice temporarily for family with 2 small kids. The children can stay in school until 5.45 pm (after school care is free) and with cooking, laundry and housekeeping already taken care of, you're all sorted. Keep it light and bring only the necessary stuffs. We're family of 3 and we've only used half of the available cupboards and closets. Amazon.sa is efficient and there's no need to bring a lot of stuffs. Lulu Supermarket is also open in NC1 and they give you option to order from Lulu (Tabuk) online and they will arrange collection the next day.

My husband's onboarding phase took 6 months from first contact. Give or take another 6months to be allocated 1br cabin in NC1, you are looking at about at least year from now until you can move in with your husband. Flydubai flies Dubai-Tabuk several days a week, and this should help with your husband's commute.

There's been few minor hiccups during our journey but I personally believe that onboarding and HR are doing a good job, considering the number of new and ongoing employees' requirements that they have to deal with. Try to be as flexible as you can (e.g. start advising your landlord about closing contract and possible extension if needed, flexible nursery enrolment for your child, de-clutter, sell stuffs etc). Hope these help. Good luck!

Last edited by Anshjo3; Aug 22nd 2022 at 1:53 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Ancilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey . I know saudi uses data flow. My hospital in Riyadh helped wit it all
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Scott78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vess
Hey Scott78,
can you please tell me who you used'/how did you go about for your degree attestation? I'm NZ based too and trying to get ahead with the process...
Cheers!
we have stopped the process, sorry I can’t be more helpful
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Anshjo3
We've recently moved from UAE, hope these insights will help you out with your decision to move:
1. My husband has stayed in NC2 for 6 months and has moved to 1 Bedroom cabin in NC1 recently. NC1 expansion is still pretty much a construction site, so realistically speaking, we don't expect to move to 2Br cabin for another 3-4months.
2. NC2 studio is just not viable for family even with 1 kid. We've visited my husband for 2 nights and it's just too cramped for 2 persons. NC2 community is also not designed to have kids. There's no playground and except for the pool, small kids will not have any place to play. Bus shuttle between NC1 and NC2 is about 30mins.
3. New school will open in November. It should allow them to double their current student intake.
4.We've opened a freezone company in Fujairah to keep all our residency. This has helped as we didn't have to close dewa, etisalat and bank accounts while in transition.

Having first hand experience of how the onboarding has worked for us, my personal opinion is to try to confirm the school space for your son (or for his name to be put on waitlist) at the soonest and be prepared to fly in and move with your husband as soon as he's been given 1 bedroom cabin in NC1. It seems that it's easier to get 2 bedroom cabins once the family is physically here. If you manage your expectations, 1 BR will suffice temporarily for family with 2 small kids. The children can stay in school until 5.45 pm (after school care is free) and with cooking, laundry and housekeeping already taken care of, you're all sorted. Keep it light and bring only the necessary stuffs. We're family of 3 and we've only used half of the available cupboards and closets. Amazon.sa is efficient and there's no need to bring a lot of stuffs. Lulu Supermarket is also open in NC1 and they give you option to order from Lulu (Tabuk) online and they will arrange collection the next day.

My husband's onboarding phase took 6 months from first contact. Give or take another 6months to be allocated 1br cabin in NC1, you are looking at about at least year from now until you can move in with your husband. Flydubai flies Dubai-Tabuk several days a week, and this should help with your husband's commute.

There's been few minor hiccups during our journey but I personally believe that onboarding and HR are doing a good job, considering the number of new and ongoing employees' requirements that they have to deal with. Try to be as flexible as you can (e.g. start advising your landlord about closing contract and possible extension if needed, flexible nursery enrolment for your child, de-clutter, sell stuffs etc). Hope these help. Good luck!
Hi,

Thank you this is actually very helpful!

We are happy to stay in a 1 bed in NC1 temporarily, our aim is to try to stay together rather than me staying in the UAE alone with the 2 young kids so we’re prepared to manage with a smaller space initially. We’ve sent the application off for school just awaiting confirmation of my sons place now so fingers crossed that gets sorted soon. And yes, given that school is on site, plus food/laundry etc gets provided it’s a small sacrifice to make!

Can I ask roughly how much the freezone company option costs? I understand it varies with each emirate but just so we have a rough idea as to what to expect?

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Anshjo3 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your husband is eligible for Golden Visa, that would even be cheaper as you won't need to open a company. If not, Sharjah Free zone seem to be the cheapest or you can also go to DED Cafe, they offer freelance visas, depending on activity and nationality. If you decide to open with freezone company, do it directly as the terminating charges of the company start-up agents are enormous, don't be fooled with their promotional offer.

I won't recommend doing visas the Fujairah Freezone, tbh, it's expensive. We've opened the company in 2020 prior to the new UAE laws and now we're stucked.

Old Aug 23rd 2022, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Evilbungle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anshjo3
We're family of 3 and we've only used half of the available cupboards and closets.
Thanks for your insight, Great to hear some experience from further along the line that a lot of us are at.

If I can ask a more personal question, how do you make the 1 bed work? Does the front room convert to a bedroom? Is it a sofa bed? How many bathrooms does it have?

My wife is worried about trying to fit into a 1 bed unit as we have 1 child and 1 dog. I know it is a bit of a frivolous position but asking my family to move from our current 4 bed family home to not having a living room is a bit too much for me to do, I have also been told that as we only have 1 child we would be the bottom of the priority list for 2 bed units and given the number of people coming in all the time I can't see how we would ever get one?
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 7:40 am
Just Joined

wiseman231 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, newbee here.
I was contacted by a recruitment firm for a potential offer in Neom. I know its still early stages, but if there is anyone out here from Australia, I would like to connect with them and find out more about the tax implications. If I still have to pay tax in Australia on my earnings in SA, then the calculations have to be revisited.
I did seek some help from accountants / ATO website, but they are pretty much useless. would really like to hear first hand from someone who has already made the move and knows first hand.
many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Claud123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Australian here.... no tax paid to ATO working in a tax free country I've been away for more than 8 years . but there are rules. 1. you have either sell your house or rent it out 2. remove yourself from the electoral role. 3. if you have family such as wife and dependents children's they must join you overseas their are exceptions check with expat accountant this. 4. must be away from Australia for more than 2 years as general rules otherwise ATO will hit you with tax so make sure you plan more than 2 years away. 5. you must inform you bank in Australia that your bank account is set up as tax withholding interest earned .6. if you visit Australia don't stay more than 45 days. The rules are changing yearly if you going to go now because it will be much harder in the future such as Canada and USA tax rules are becoming more stringent. Seek Tax advise from expat accountant: Speak SMATS accountant google it : ask for Mick his a champ looks after my affairs in oz.
Old Aug 23rd 2022, 11:24 am
Just Joined

JayVeeBee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ALL,

I've recently cleared the Background Check and have been asked to resign & confirm my start date. I've advised my onboarder that I will resign & estimate a start date once I've received my contract & the other visa documents from Neom (been told these documents will take 2-weeks......).

For those on the ground, when did you resign?

Thanks - J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.