NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Old Dec 29th 2021, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Grounded7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Originally Posted by mahesh123
Hi Farhan,
I am currently in the onboarding phase and I have been told by the onboarding team, that I will be based at the NC2 camp intially when I arrive in April and they will start looking for a spot in NC1 closer to when my family arrive in August. This is for both 1 bed or family 2 bed units.

Unfortunately, we are not getting any certainty about the accomodation, from the various teams (school, community management, onboarding, etc) that we have spoken to. This is the main sticking point for us and we are still undecided about this whole thing because of this. Just not sure how one can pack up family and kids without any certainty about the type of accomodation? I can't imagine a family of 4 staying comfortably in a one bed unit for an extended period.

Defintiely NC1 is the place to be, but I was told that even some very senior personnel are currently staying at NC2 due to the lack of accomodation at NC1.

Would love to hear from others...

Cheers.

Hi Mahesh,

I’m in the exact situation and it really is extremely stressful and frustrating. They’ve offered me NC2 (initially was told 1 bed in NC1), with a move to NC1 1bed (was told 2 bed) when my family moves in Sept at the beginning of school term. The place in NC1 is dependent on school enrollment.

I find it strange that the school can’t confirm availability atm, especially as your accommodation will not be confirmed until a place in the school has been allocated. And how could one make a decision to relocate to another country based on such uncertainty!!

I understand there’s an enrollment process, but it’s one school for people based in a single location. If they’re struggling to find an equation to address this simple problem, I’m struggling to see how Neom’s main objectives will be realised in their proposed timescales.

I was supposed to kick off my degree attestation process now to join by late March but have paused for more clarity. However it seems like I’ve exhausted all avenue for more information - no one seems to have any kind of certainty. They keep using Covid/start up as an excuse, but I just feel it’s incompetence more than anything.

Anyway please do share if you receive any further info on school/accommodation. Thanks!
Old Dec 29th 2021, 12:25 am
Just Joined

mm23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Grounded7 ,
Agree with what you have said. The school moves in a different pace, saying that the enrolment for 2022 doesnt start till end of January or Feb, but Onboarding want to move at a faster pace and is asking me to resign and start the attestation/ visa process. It is very frustrating and adds to the overall anxiety. On top of this, I was told that I probably can only come for a week in July to help the family pack up and relocate. I think this is unreasonable to expect my wife to handle most of it, especially, when we have to sell everything, rent the house, organise the dog to be transported, manage the emotions of two kids who are leaving their friends behind...

Regarding the housing, the Onboarding rep told me that they have placed me in the accomodation queue (not sure how true this is as I was told previosuly that I have to enrol the kids first). It is NC2 until the family joins, I have been told.

I have spoken to couple of families who live there currently, and they all have only positive things to say about the community. This gives me hope. The only consistent negative (not really, in my view) is that the work is full on and can get beyond hectic. The fact that the office and camp are co located, blurs the line between work and life.

They are having issues like any other start up, but I really wish that they had started the camp construction before anything else. If not how are they going to attract and retain talent. I have heard relocatoin stories with other employers in KSA, and they seem a lot more organised. Anyway, lets see what happens. I am hoping it all gets sorted out.

Old Jan 3rd 2022, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Grounded7 ,
Agree with what you have said. The school moves in a different pace, saying that the enrolment for 2022 doesnt start till end of January or Feb, but Onboarding want to move at a faster pace and is asking me to resign and start the attestation/ visa process. It is very frustrating and adds to the overall anxiety. On top of this, I was told that I probably can only come for a week in July to help the family pack up and relocate. I think this is unreasonable to expect my wife to handle most of it, especially, when we have to sell everything, rent the house, organise the dog to be transported, manage the emotions of two kids who are leaving their friends behind...

Regarding the housing, the Onboarding rep told me that they have placed me in the accomodation queue (not sure how true this is as I was told previosuly that I have to enrol the kids first). It is NC2 until the family joins, I have been told.

I have spoken to couple of families who live there currently, and they all have only positive things to say about the community. This gives me hope. The only consistent negative (not really, in my view) is that the work is full on and can get beyond hectic. The fact that the office and camp are co located, blurs the line between work and life.

They are having issues like any other start up, but I really wish that they had started the camp construction before anything else. If not how are they going to attract and retain talent. I have heard relocatoin stories with other employers in KSA, and they seem a lot more organised. Anyway, lets see what happens. I am hoping it all gets sorted out.

Hope so too. I haven’t heard much over the last few weeks as most have been away for xmas. You said they’re only allowing you to be away for a week in July. Could you expand on it a bit more? If you have annual leave remaining, what exactly is their issue (barring significant work impact)?

I’ve already got a few things planned over the summer. I was hoping to join Neom sooner to avoid taking time off within the first couple of months of joining, but their own timescales have exacerbated this issue so in no mood to be dictated when I can/can’t take leave unless it’s for a very obvious reason.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Leave is dependent on the team you work with and your work load, is what I have been told.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Codger81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the Riyadh airport lounges (T1 or T2) are 24hr? I see contradictory information, but I believe they are based on the airport website.

Also, whether the showers are working too?
Old Jan 5th 2022, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

I just heard from someone that they have started charging 4000SAR per month rent for family housing? Anyone know about this?

Makes me wonder if they will start charging for food in the future as well?
Old Jan 5th 2022, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

I just heard from someone that they have started charging 4000SAR per month rent for family housing? Anyone know about this?

Makes me wonder if they will start charging for food in the future as well?
Charging, as in costed in the compensation package?

Legal practice in the Gulf requires packages be broken up between basic pay, accomodation/board, and transport. So it's part of the offer, but you receive the benefit, not the cash.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Agree, but I was told that onsite accommodation will be free and the allowance is for us to keep if we use company housing. So bit contradictory to the contract
Old Jan 5th 2022, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Agree, but I was told that onsite accommodation will be free and the allowance is for us to keep if we use company housing. So bit contradictory to the contract
Don't believe I was told that. Cash in lieu if not using the provided option, is how I've always seen it.

Sounds like miscommunication, but you'll find out.
Old Jan 5th 2022, 7:57 am
Just Joined

I was told about the 4000 SAR charge back in July. It’s got nothing to do with the salary. It’s an additional charge that you need to pay per month for a 2 bed unit.

For me, the more shocking news was that the change in eligibility criteria for 2 bed units ie. 2+ children enrolled in school.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 4:03 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grounded7
I was told about the 4000 SAR charge back in July. It’s got nothing to do with the salary. It’s an additional charge that you need to pay per month for a 2 bed unit.

For me, the more shocking news was that the change in eligibility criteria for 2 bed units ie. 2+ children enrolled in school.
Well now you know who you're working for.

Treat this as a good guide as to how things will be in the future.

A couple of years ago I posted about the myriad of possible problems to expect working in Neom, accommodation, visas, family life, schooling, transport being some of the issues I raised.

I seem to remember being criticized by some posters because the company has said this, has said that blah blah blah
It's a start-up in the middle of nowhere. Why on earth would people expect this to be well run and organized, with people knowing what they're doing. They can't manage that in Riyadh or Jeddah so why would Neom be any different.

Never underestimate the SAF!

I think people new to the region need to be more realistic in their expectations.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

And here we are a couple of years later with about 1500 people on the ground, 170+ kids in school, ongoing camp expansion and an airport just down the road. It’s not for everyone, but there are far worse places to be.

From what I heard they never started charging for the family cabins.
Old Jan 9th 2022, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

ZeroCool_HTP is an unknown quantity at this point

Do most people get their own company car or how are cars assigned? Or do people lease their own vehicles?

Old Jan 10th 2022, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Fuzzy0wuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I thought basic accomodations is covered but you can pay additional 4k sar for an upgraded villa accomodations?

Old Jan 10th 2022, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fuzzy0wuzzy
So, I thought basic accomodations is covered but you can pay additional 4k sar for an upgraded villa accomodations?
Hmm that’s not how it currently is.
I live in a 2-bed family cabin.
Monthly rent is 4k SAR which, as far as I know, we haven’t yet been charged and have been living in it for 3 months. Think they intend to begin charging very soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.