Reload this Page >

NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Old Jun 2nd 2022, 7:02 am
Just Joined

menaadventure is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Originally Posted by psychopomp1 View Post
Oh wow, I just submitted my resignation yesterday and then boom…I’ve been warned about the toxic working culture but didn’t know it’s this bad.
Everyone I know says it differs a lot by the department, and basically by ED. For this reason I was very careful about choosing which department to apply for (I started talking to 3-4 Neom people 3 months before I applied for anything and gathered intelligence) and even brought this up during the interview, and the interviewers said they’re known to have the best working culture (well according to them) within Neom. So I’m hopeful, and hope the current ED doesn’t flee too soon 😩

2 practical questions to the people who’s already there.

1) After the background check clearance, how long did you have to wait to get the visa documents from NEOM?
(Got all docs ready including degree attestation and still waiting for documents from their side)

2) After the visa, how long did you have to wait for the travel arrangement? And is it possible to choose which day to fly, or it’s only Saturdays where there is a chartered flight to Neom bay airport?

TIA!
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 7:42 am
Just Joined

menaadventure is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by westie17 View Post
Is it possible to do the medical in Dubai? Can you explain the process you went through for attestation etc?

I am expecting an offer soon from a PIF entity and thought that the medical and visa had to be completed in home country, in my case UK, yet I am currently based in Dubai. I would also rather complete the process prior to resigning, so would like to understand if it possible to do it all from Dubai.
Hi! Apparently it’s possible, although I haven’t got mine yet. Neom onboarding team / visa agency says I can, and plus I checked with a person with the same situation got his visa within UAE to go to Neom without any issues recently (one month ago) so I guess it’s safe to say we can. I have done my work / study visas for couple of countries and felt I could do it by myself, but just went with the agency so that I don’t need to fly back to my home country.

Being little bit of a control freak, I did the pre-medical test in advance (by myself), the same type of the test before I start the visa process. I might have to repeat the test from designated clinic etc., but it’s not too much (345 AED) and I could resign with the peace of mind.

But I’d rather consult with the visa agency or your HR before you choose this path.

Last edited by menaadventure; Jun 2nd 2022 at 7:47 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Dr. A is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
please, if you are in Ed department can you clarify if a Head position higher than director position or vice versa?
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 10:25 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Would you then be liable for UK tax if you were spending 9 days in the UK every 8 weeks or so to visit a family home? I can't remember the number of days allowed off the top of my head, but worth checking that if returning regularly is vital to you.
It's 90 days, if you're working full-time overseas (3rd Automatic Overseas Test), and complete at least a full tax-year.
Of course you don't have to take all your leave in the UK, and could meet up with the family anywhere else in the world...

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Jun 3rd 2022 at 10:28 am. Reason: Added a bit
Old Jun 4th 2022, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

DebbieSim is an unknown quantity at this point

I fly to NC2 next week, and is there anything to do outside of work?

I've worked abroad before where everyone keeps in their work cliques at dinner times. Nobody chats to the obvious new person sat alone eating at the same table night after night. You say hello to people and they blank you because you're "new". Join some clubs to meet people, and you're excluded as the new person. Go to the gym, and it's obvious you're new, but the old sweats glare at you for using "their equipment" Please tell me it's not like that, and if I sit down next to someone at dinner and say hello, they won't treat me like some freak?
Old Jun 4th 2022, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 View Post
It's 90 days, if you're working full-time overseas (3rd Automatic Overseas Test), and complete at least a full tax-year.
Of course you don't have to take all your leave in the UK, and could meet up with the family anywhere else in the world...
Ah, thanks for that. Is that the case even if the family home is in the UK? My cousin works abroad and her family home, husband and children are in the UK, I thought it was something like 42 days for her because of her ties to the UK but may well have that wrong.
Old Jun 4th 2022, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Memoja is an unknown quantity at this point

DebbieSim - I'm that also a potential new person to join in June and have the same question so look forward to the community feedback.

Last edited by Memoja; Jun 4th 2022 at 4:53 pm. Reason: correction
Old Jun 4th 2022, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

NC2 activities - what is actually on offer / being organised and what's doable in the summer months? anybody playing tennis? if yes, do I need to bring my own cans of balls or can one buy it locally. Any club type session going on?
Is there a holiday break in July and how long will the offices be closed?
Old Jun 4th 2022, 5:50 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Ah, thanks for that. Is that the case even if the family home is in the UK? My cousin works abroad and her family home, husband and children are in the UK, I thought it was something like 42 days for her because of her ties to the UK but may well have that wrong.
Ties only come into play if firstly you don't pass one of the Automatic Overseas Tests and then secondly you dont trigger one of the Automatic UK Tests. There are a complex set of rules around the definition of working full-time overseas, and you need to keep good records of hours worked overseas, hours worked in the UK, any gaps in employment and of course days spent in the UK.
There's a good flowchart on the Statutory Residence Test here.
Old Jun 5th 2022, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Ryepes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! Very informative forum. I have gone through the entire process and now just waiting for onboarding to send me the visa documents to get that completed.

one thing I wanted to ask is whether it makes sense to bring my road bike to be able to ride there during the weekends. What would the people already there recommend? Is it doable?

thanks in advance
Old Jun 5th 2022, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

westie17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just received an offer from a PIF entity. It is noted that the contract is 1-year (renewable). Is this standard? Anything to worry about?
Old Jun 5th 2022, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

ZeroCool_HTP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ryepes View Post
Hi everyone! Very informative forum. I have gone through the entire process and now just waiting for onboarding to send me the visa documents to get that completed.

one thing I wanted to ask is whether it makes sense to bring my road bike to be able to ride there during the weekends. What would the people already there recommend? Is it doable?

thanks in advance
There is a cycling group who do big rides quite often (outside summer months) so definitely worth bringing unless you want to get one here.
Old Jun 5th 2022, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

ZeroCool_HTP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Memoja View Post
NC2 activities - what is actually on offer / being organised and what's doable in the summer months? anybody playing tennis? if yes, do I need to bring my own cans of balls or can one buy it locally. Any club type session going on?
Is there a holiday break in July and how long will the offices be closed?
Tennis volleyball basketball table tennis pool darts swimming. They provide equipment for all the sports usually.

1 week break for EID in July.

Last edited by ZeroCool_HTP; Jun 5th 2022 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2022, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

thank you - great to hear
BTW: this forum has been a great source of info...and inspiration for me - sounds like a really nice and supportive bunch out there!
Old Jun 6th 2022, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Anshjo3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I and our 7 year old son are joining husband this August. Accommodation has already been sorted in NC1 (though we'll be in 1br cabin for few months), as well as place in school. I hope some can enlighten us on some more practical questions:

1. Washing machine: Do the 2br cabins have one or can we install one? Laundry is free which is perfect but I prefer to have my own washing machine for some more personal stuffs.
2. Medical provisions - May I ask if you feel that they provide decent services, especially for emergency cases. Are the doctors good? This is one thing I am most worried about, especially with child.
3. Kids' Life beyond school: Are your kids happy and is there sense of belongingness?
4. Is the camp secured and safe?
5. For both working parents, what do you do if your child is sick or during term-breaks. Do the school/community provide childcare services?

Thank you so much for all the help x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.