Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Old Mar 28th 2022, 11:26 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEOM COMMUNITY UPDATE

Originally Posted by Gulf_European
Must say that I read something about charging, but dont see if it was ever confirmed. As you are in a NC1 cabin, would you be able to confirm if there is a 4k rent you have to pay?
Not that it will affect me much, but good to know whether the information we get from NEOM is subject to change...
Forcing people to pay 10k GBP a year to live in a camp in the desert takes the shine off things somewhat.
That's Saudis though. Always trying to do things on the cheap.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Must say that I read something about charging, but dont see if it was ever confirmed. As you are in a NC1 cabin, would you be able to confirm if there is a 4k rent you have to pay?
Not that it will affect me much, but good to know whether the information we get from NEOM is subject to change...
Yesterday I wrote a post on here confirming the rent for a 2 bed in NC1. I live in one. It is 4k.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scott78
thank you very much, very useful information
I have another question, what’s something that you wish you would have known before moving here and what is what you miss the most.
Relevant questions for me

thanks,
I wish I'd realised how cold the winters get in this part of Saudi. You do need a heavy coat. Bring your hoodies, jumpers, knits. Not needed for a long period of time but it is needed. I'd only brought a coat that is suitable for UK spring temperatures.

Otherwise, we were pretty well prepared and knew what to expect.

If you or anyone in your family likes to use specific products for anything whether it be beauty products or creams or medicines for kids or if you like a particular brand of something like deodorant, bring a lot of it.
Example - when we moved over, we dedicated one entire suitcase to these kinds of things. Favourite brand of coffee, shampoo, brand of floss, certain kids creams and suncreams, a year's supply of contact lenses. Apart from the contact lenses, you can buy the other items I mentioned here on site but the range is limited. You can also order from Amazon but is expensive. I personally like having a stock cupboard of favourite items we use often.

If you wear glasses or lenses - There isn't an opticians on site. I think the closest one is in Tabuk which is 2 hours away. I stocked up on a year's supply to avoid the hassle of Tabuk for as long as possible.
Also if you like keeping your teeth in shape, get a deep clean just before you come. There are dentists in Tabuk and I think also in Al Bada but it's just easier to do it at home just before arriving here to avoid the hassle for a while. We did teeth, eyes and full health-check ups just in case.

Kids toys - not entirely necessary to bring much. Just a few in the beginning to tide you over but Amazon is very easy to order from here. Lots of other online shopping sites too. Also shopping in Tabuk.

I do wish I'd brought our Ramadhan decorations with us But we only brought necessities in our luggage. It's all easily bought here though. If you have favourite decorations for a specific holiday, bring them if you can. It'll help your cabin and life feel more homey and settled when the time comes. Lots of the residents got very excited about Halloween here and decorated the outside of their houses.

Do not bring towels, bedding or furniture.
But if you have young kids, do bring whatever items you'd normally use... especially if they are potty training, DO bring waterproof fitted sheets and anything that you use for them as they go through this stage. You can of course purchase these from Amazon but until you receive them....
We are provided with bedsheets here but for some reason, no mattress covers (it's all brand new when you move in though). If your child has an accident in the night it's not easy to get spare sheets so it's good to have your own child-specific items to hand. Actually, bearing in mind some of the typical child-related issues we've had, I was quite glad I'd brought a towel for each of them and some of their spare cot blankets and old large swaddling cloths. This is all in reference to middle-of-the-night vomiting episodes...

Sorry I completely forgot if you said you are moving over with family or not so disregard this if not applicable but I am leaving this information out there should other families/parents need to know.

Last edited by Saff_Parker; Mar 28th 2022 at 1:09 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Forcing people to pay 10k GBP a year to live in a camp in the desert takes the shine off things somewhat.
That's Saudis though. Always trying to do things on the cheap.
We're not forced to do anything. We knew about it when moving here. For us personally, the benefits outweigh the (in my opinion) minimal rent.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 1:44 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
We're not forced to do anything. We knew about it when moving here. For us personally, the benefits outweigh the (in my opinion) minimal rent.
I know no-one forced you to go there, but you don't really have any other options about accommodation once you're there do you, as in I'll rent somewhere else myself.

Of course the benefits are worth it. Otherwise you wouldn't be there presumably. No reason to accept everything as okay though.

And personally speaking, charging people to live in a camp in the middle of nowhere, when there are no other options available, and considering the billions involved, is not okay.

​​​​​​

Old Mar 28th 2022, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know no-one forced you to go there, but you don't really have any other options about accommodation once you're there do you, as in I'll rent somewhere else myself.

Of course the benefits are worth it. Otherwise you wouldn't be there presumably. No reason to accept everything as okay though.

And personally speaking, charging people to live in a camp in the middle of nowhere, when there are no other options available, and considering the billions involved, is not okay.

​​​​​​
Do you live in Neom or have visited?
Old Mar 28th 2022, 3:11 pm

Do you live in Neom or have visited?
​​​​​​
I haven't no. And your point is?

You think it's okay to pay the 4k. I don't. Agree to disagree I think.

Bottom line is, you're okay with it, so you're there.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

​​​​​​
I haven't no. And your point is?

You think it's okay to pay the 4k. I don't. Agree to disagree I think.

Bottom line is, you're okay with it, so you're there.
My post was quite placid.
There’s no need to get aggressive.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 4:52 pm

My post was quite placid.
There’s no need to get aggressive.
​​​​​​ How was that aggressive? I said agree to disagree!
Old Mar 28th 2022, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Scott78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I'd realised how cold the winters get in this part of Saudi. You do need a heavy coat. Bring your hoodies, jumpers, knits. Not needed for a long period of time but it is needed. I'd only brought a coat that is suitable for UK spring temperatures.

Otherwise, we were pretty well prepared and knew what to expect.

If you or anyone in your family likes to use specific products for anything whether it be beauty products or creams or medicines for kids or if you like a particular brand of something like deodorant, bring a lot of it.
Example - when we moved over, we dedicated one entire suitcase to these kinds of things. Favourite brand of coffee, shampoo, brand of floss, certain kids creams and suncreams, a year's supply of contact lenses. Apart from the contact lenses, you can buy the other items I mentioned here on site but the range is limited. You can also order from Amazon but is expensive. I personally like having a stock cupboard of favourite items we use often.

If you wear glasses or lenses - There isn't an opticians on site. I think the closest one is in Tabuk which is 2 hours away. I stocked up on a year's supply to avoid the hassle of Tabuk for as long as possible.
Also if you like keeping your teeth in shape, get a deep clean just before you come. There are dentists in Tabuk and I think also in Al Bada but it's just easier to do it at home just before arriving here to avoid the hassle for a while. We did teeth, eyes and full health-check ups just in case.

Kids toys - not entirely necessary to bring much. Just a few in the beginning to tide you over but Amazon is very easy to order from here. Lots of other online shopping sites too. Also shopping in Tabuk.

I do wish I'd brought our Ramadhan decorations with us But we only brought necessities in our luggage. It's all easily bought here though. If you have favourite decorations for a specific holiday, bring them if you can. It'll help your cabin and life feel more homey and settled when the time comes. Lots of the residents got very excited about Halloween here and decorated the outside of their houses.

Do not bring towels, bedding or furniture.
But if you have young kids, do bring whatever items you'd normally use... especially if they are potty training, DO bring waterproof fitted sheets and anything that you use for them as they go through this stage. You can of course purchase these from Amazon but until you receive them....
We are provided with bedsheets here but for some reason, no mattress covers (it's all brand new when you move in though). If your child has an accident in the night it's not easy to get spare sheets so it's good to have your own child-specific items to hand. Actually, bearing in mind some of the typical child-related issues we've had, I was quite glad I'd brought a towel for each of them and some of their spare cot blankets and old large swaddling cloths. This is all in reference to middle-of-the-night vomiting episodes...

Sorry I completely forgot if you said you are moving over with family or not so disregard this if not applicable but I am leaving this information out there should other families/parents need to know.
I am indeed moving with my family (kids 4 and almost 7) and all the information is extremely valuable. Those are things that I haven’t thought about it.

Regarding the swimming pool, is there an specific area for the little ones? I see from all the photos that is just a regular swimming pool.

How is it in summer? What kind of activities are there for the kids when is so hot?

How about the spouses? Can they work? My recruiter said there is a “program” for them, but I’m still waiting for the onboarding team to come back to me.

Can you buy different furniture for the cabins? Like bunk beds? Or a cot?

Thanks again,
Old Mar 28th 2022, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Kimmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights to Neon

Hi,
Can anybody give advice how to travel to Neom? Flights from Riyadh? Or a flight to Tabuk and then by taxi.

Old Mar 29th 2022, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scott78
I am indeed moving with my family (kids 4 and almost 7) and all the information is extremely valuable. Those are things that I haven’t thought about it.

Regarding the swimming pool, is there an specific area for the little ones? I see from all the photos that is just a regular swimming pool.

How is it in summer? What kind of activities are there for the kids when is so hot?

How about the spouses? Can they work? My recruiter said there is a “program” for them, but I’m still waiting for the onboarding team to come back to me.

Can you buy different furniture for the cabins? Like bunk beds? Or a cot?

Thanks again,
Swimming pool - In NC1, there are currently two. One for women only. One is mixed. Both are quite deep. Many families have taken their young kids but have them decked out in arm-bands and hold on to them tight. There is currently a lot of construction being finalised in the camp and it includes new swimming pools, one of which I am told is child-friendly and shallow. To be ready in a few weeks

Summer - Weather wise, it'll be hot for sure. As for activities I'm not entirely sure what will be organised. We moved here in Autumn 2021 so I am yet to experience it. I do know that several of my neighbours (fellow families) will be travelling over the summer for a month or two months at a time. The working spouses will stay here to work while the non-working spouses go abroad with the kids, usually to their family homes. A few of us will likely be staying over the summer and I am sure we will figure something out or something will be organised.

Spouses - yes they can work for sure and there is indeed a special program or drive to recruit them. If not working, there is a lovely community of very friendly non-working spouses, both men and women.

Furniture - yes, a few of my neighbours have had the Neom-provided beds removed and ordered their own bunk beds, especially those with 3 or more children. I haven't purchased a cot myself while here but I think it should be easy enough to find one online to order here. We have a buy/swap/sell group here on camp so residents can give things away or buy items second hand from neighbours and there has been the odd cot in there.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Tommo41234 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much roughly was the work visa? Although costs will vary. I hear we pay the costs upfront and get compensated through the relocation allowance?

The visa agency cost is $800USD alone, then we also need to pay visa fees, medical test cost, degree attestation, police clearance etc.

The onboarding app said "NEOM pays for the visa itself" so I was not expecting all these costs.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Gulf_European is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tommo41234
How much roughly was the work visa? Although costs will vary. I hear we pay the costs upfront and get compensated through the relocation allowance?

The visa agency cost is $800USD alone, then we also need to pay visa fees, medical test cost, degree attestation, police clearance etc.

The onboarding app said "NEOM pays for the visa itself" so I was not expecting all these costs.
For me the visa costs are estimated to be around $2200, but that includes everything as degree attestation, medical, police clearance, work visa fees etc etc. I had to pay a proforma invoice of rougly 75% of the amount as the process began, and will be given a final invoice on the remaining when it's complete (work visa still under process atm)
Old Apr 4th 2022, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Pkingston is an unknown quantity at this point

For me the visa costs are estimated to be around $2200, but that includes everything as degree attestation, medical, police clearance, work visa fees etc etc. I had to pay a proforma invoice of rougly 75% of the amount as the process began, and will be given a final invoice on the remaining when it's complete (work visa still under process atm)

Yes, about the same cost for me.

It doesnt even touch the sides of what the relocation allowance provides for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.