NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Old Mar 10th 2022, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Appleton1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: NEOM COMMUNITY THREAD

Originally Posted by Tekdxb
Hello All!

Great forum - very glad my wife and I found it as we have been in touch in regards to Neom since End of December 2021 and as many of you already mentioned, things are a little bit slow. but hey, its sort of a start-up and things surely will improve. i consider the employees who are there and are currently being hired are the pioneers :-)
apparently neom needs to hire another 1500 employees in 2022 thats potentially 125 people per month to interview, onboard, process, reply etc. and sometimes even multiple people as some may not be fit for the application.

Anyways, i am just gonna tell me story from the beginning and i hope theres some info for everyone.

Upfront note, I am from Austria, been in UAE for 16 years, and that we are a family of 4 - 2 kids (18 months girl and 6 years boy).

I was approached in mid december by a recruiter based in dubai and i seemed to be a good fit for the position (its within the project development) and had my interview 10 days later (which was impressive considering people were in their christmas holidays). my interview was with my future line manager and a special consultant (hr could not attend).

(BTW, the recruiter in dubai who approached me was perfect!! i am still in touch with him and hes so helpful.)

5 days after that, still impressed as its the festive season, i got the thumbs up from my dubai recruiter, with the info that this means neom will issue their offer letter probably the week after new years.
impressively, this was spot on, although i just received the link to submit the documents like medical questionnaire and other simple things. unfortunately, a key person then was on covid leave but at his return i instantly received my offer letter in the first week of February 2022. unfortunately, there was a mistake and i could not sign it. i told my neom recruiter and they adjusted it within 10 days. so i then officially signed my offer letter in the 3rd week of February and was contacted by the onboarding team 5 days after that followed with an onboarding teams call (there was 4 of us on the call) with more info and Q&A.

then it took about 10 days for Hire Right (a third party hired by neom to take care of this professionally) to reach out to you to upload all your documents required for the back ground check. its basically refrence letters, or previous contracts so they can verify you actually worked at mentioned firms as per your CV. pretty simple and when you did nothing wrong, its all easy and good. they seem to be pretty quick too as my previous employer already told me that they reach out to him (36hrs after i did the online application). FYI, they request you to hide any kind of information on previous salaries, bonuses etc. they just need prove that you did work there.

now, it all seems to be pretty smooth and rather quick, as i think i am 75% through the onboarding and expect that i can start my visa process end next week. NOTE: i did not resign yet. i will only do that once EVERYTHING including visa is done as you never know what can happen, but back to the smooth operation - well yes, i seems like but NO it isnt really. as mentioned before, they have a lot going on and are "slow" or "delayed" with responses. its in my nature to follow up and babysit [projects] - in this case to get my employment sorted as quick as possible, so i called, emailed, whats app etc as much as i could - considering not to be on anyone's nerves. this really helps - obviously.

So now to accommodation and kids in neom (schooling)

as i understood you arrive to NC2 and need to travel 35-45 mins each way. majority of the offices are in NC1. Oxagon is different and whoever is jooing the oxagon family is going to be in "NIC". NC2 only has studios ( 1 bed available). if you have a family you will be on a waiting list and hope to get your 2 bedroom cabin in NC1 as soon as possible. families have priority over a couple or singles.

school is about to open the enrollment and their expansion is approved. they have school up to grade 8 and early learning/day care for toddlers. tons of activities happen after school and i am sure the kids are very busy there (referring to NC1). the communites can be seen on google and it looks pretty nice.

if all things work out i am excited about the nature as it is all virgin land, and go down to aqaba which is 2hrs15min driving distance.

flights from neom bay are for employees and their relatives only ( i reckon also for suppliers and contractors) and can be booked via Kanoo website. there are flights to riyadh and jeddah on thrusday late afternoon and back to neom on saturdays evening. i also heard flydubai will soon fly direct to dubai ( i reckon this will be their first international route).

i understood the relocation allowance of 75kSAR is reimbursed and not paid in full. however it is paid with your first salary in neom.

as many also wonder about the salary - so my salary was topped up 30% from my current salary in dubai + all the allowances which are 22 days remote working days, 30 days annual leave, 2 domestic flights per month, bonus scheme, flight to home destination 1 per annum, insurance and visa for family...

so yea, thats my insight. biggest worry is the school and accommodation right now, but hoping this will work out. i have put my application online - thanks to Elena who is in charge of Neoms community school. shes been great so far. they teach in IB btw.

okedoke, hope this could clarify a few things for a few people. happy to share more down the line and lookign forward to ready more info soon.

Best regards and take it easy!
Hi Tekdxb,
Just wanted to say thanks for the updated breakdown of the process. A big thanks also to everyone who's helped paint a picture - it really does help and is very much appreciated. 😊
Old Mar 10th 2022, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Alex23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Smooth as it could get. I am in design development.
Yes, they are building new cabins and the expected time moving time from nc2 to NC1 is around 6 months. No matter your seniority, you will be in nc2, the easiest ticket to NC1 is if you bring your family immediately after you get the iqama. Everybody keeps saying that the best cabins are in oxagon, on the sea side, nice design, etc. I will have a ride on one of these weekend to check.
The iqama process is fast, they have a very good relationship w the govt, some of the new joiners got it in 5 days. The Saudis in the HR and not only, are very friendly and helpful replying immediately to your queries unlike the onboarding process which had many hiccups and reminder after reminder.
Regarding nc2 here are plenty of sports facilities, big new indoor gym+ 1 outdoor +1 extra smaller only for women, outdoor activities like football, tennis, volley, basketball, running courses. There is a pool as well.
For me the only problem is the 2 hours commuting as previously mentioned, since March 2020 I’ve been working from home with office presence only when I wanted to, with no one breathing on my shoulder that I am on time at work and questioning themselves if I am doing my job as per their personal standards.

Originally Posted by Tekdxb
Hey Alex23 - great to hear you arrived. hope you had a smooth journey. how is NC2 and how are the offices in NC1? which department are you working?

did you notice some construction for new cabins in NC1?

best regards

Last edited by Alex23; Mar 10th 2022 at 10:14 am.
Old Mar 10th 2022, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Pkingston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Laguna_1
this is exactly what I am hoping to do too. Never been one to be tied to a specific schedule and I reckon most of the gym stuff is in Nc1 ( i believe in Nc1 there is a ladies only gym and mixed gym). I haven’t been able to find out what the facilities are like sports wise in nc2 and with the better food options and potential longer working hours I reckon dinner and gym in nc1 then drive back at your own leisure

i actually enjoy driving so don’t mind the commute myself. How long is the walk between the nc1 bus stop and the offices as I imagine in the summer heat, you’ve be soaked before u even get into the office. I am hoping the car parking is closer and u cab stroll in.

is it all electric out in neom and or still good old petrol cars wise. I have heard of the stock cars that people share per department but I would be looking to purchase to allow easy commuting and also weekend trips.

Maybe a little Vespa to get around?? haha

Old Mar 10th 2022, 10:41 am
Just Joined

thorshammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pkingston
Maybe a little Vespa to get around?? haha
I'm interviewing with their mobility team, part of my job would be to scale out the entire commuter program including additions of rideshare, drone delivery, micromobility (bikes and scooters)
Old Mar 10th 2022, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

peterpipper12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Especially for those who have been working from home. I imagine the commute is a downer!

What is the bus like? has anyone seen photos?
Old Mar 10th 2022, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

ZeroCool_HTP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peterpipper12
Especially for those who have been working from home. I imagine the commute is a downer!

What is the bus like? has anyone seen photos?
Having to get the bus to and from NC1 each day sucks. I did it for 2 weeks and hated it, but im not a fan of riding buses. The buses themselves are actually really nice. Wouldnt say they are luxurious, but similar to UK style travel coaches.

This is the bus company:

Last edited by ZeroCool_HTP; Mar 10th 2022 at 9:53 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Laguna_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZeroCool_HTP
Having to get the bus to and from NC1 each day sucks. I did it for 2 weeks and hated it, but im not a fan of riding buses. The buses themselves are actually really nice. Wouldnt say they are luxurious, but similar to UK style travel coaches.

This is the bus company:

buses seems decent. What do you do now zerocool - working from home or picked up a different way to get to the office.

how far is the walk from the bus stop to the office - I have experienced dubai summer heat and can imagine with no AC that be challenging.

i get hot quite easily so I’ll need to buy a new super light wardrobe for neom I feel haha
Old Mar 11th 2022, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

buses seems decent. What do you do now zerocool - working from home or picked up a different way to get to the office.

how far is the walk from the bus stop to the office - I have experienced dubai summer heat and can imagine with no AC that be challenging.

i get hot quite easily so I’ll need to buy a new super light wardrobe for neom I feel haha
Yeah I got a car, gives me a lot more freedom.

It depends on which office. My office is a 10 minute uphill walk from the bus stop at NC1, and yes, it gets warm at lunch time already, the walk to and from the dinner hall is a struggle in the heat. Would suggest a wide rimmed hat of some sort!

Forgot to mention there are electric scooters available to use, which helps, but they can be hard to find at peak times!

Last edited by ZeroCool_HTP; Mar 11th 2022 at 6:30 am.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Laguna_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Much prefer a car with the ac going and my tunes going (or an audio book if I’m in the zone).

east enough to get a car out there? I reckon I’ll need one asap especially mention of a uphill walk in the heat haha
Old Mar 11th 2022, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Much prefer a car with the ac going and my tunes going (or an audio book if I’m in the zone).

east enough to get a car out there? I reckon I’ll need one asap especially mention of a uphill walk in the heat haha
You cant drive inside NC1, if you need to go in, you get around 20 mins max if you have to drop something off, then you have to go back outside to the covered/uncovered parking lots which add another few mins to the walk

Yes, Lumi rentals are based inside our NEOM offices. Can rent daily, or for however long you like.

Old Mar 11th 2022, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Someone posted a great video of full outdoor tour of NC2:

Old Mar 11th 2022, 10:41 am
Just Joined

thorshammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZeroCool_HTP
Someone posted a great video of full outdoor tour of NC2:

Video
Wow a good in-depth walkthrough, thanks for sharing it on here!
Old Mar 12th 2022, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Grounded7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone arranged for a shipment/delivery of their stuff when they moved to Neom? I think I’ll need more than the airline standard allowance so was thinking of getting cargo arranged. Any suggestions on what/what not to do?
Old Mar 13th 2022, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Wollongong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grounded7
Has anyone arranged for a shipment/delivery of their stuff when they moved to Neom? I think I’ll need more than the airline standard allowance so was thinking of getting cargo arranged. Any suggestions on what/what not to do?
I got some quote from relocation companies.
If by sea, they charge according to cbm .. the min being 3 cbm, which is about 16- 17 boxes (50x50x50cm) = approx US$ 4 - 5 K, from Aust to Neom.
If by air, the min is 100 kg, about US$ 2 - 3 k.
Of cos, pricing differs acc on your location.
I'm pondering whether its cheaper, or the best if I buy extra luggage from the airline. Or to buy stuff and deliver from Riyadh, or Tabuk.
Appreciate any advise and experience from those already moved to Neom.
Old Mar 13th 2022, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

What are you bringing? You don't need much more than clothes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.