Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need top tips on Dubai! (ta)

Need top tips on Dubai! (ta)

Old Feb 8th 2005, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

azza888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need top tips on Dubai! (ta)

Hello there everybody. I've been reading through all your advice and you all seem like a helpful bunch. I'm a Brit who's been headhunted for a job in Dubai with Nakheel; I wonder if I could trouble anyone for some advice?

PACKAGE
- I've been offered dh12,000, which includes a transport allowance of 800dh + accomodation. What do you reckon, should I hold out for more?

ACCOMODATION
- I'll be working for Nakheel, and my accomodation will be a one bedroom apartment in their Gardens development. Any ideas what this is like? The website seems pretty good.

- What's the Gardens area like? Is their much entertainment/leisure/nightlife? How am I going to find commuting to Nakheel HQ?

CAR
- How do most people go about buying a car? How much would it cost per month to 'lease to buy' a decent model?

FOOTBALL/CRICKET
- Are there local leagues like back home?

PEOPLE
- I'm a Brit, who loves his sport and the occassional drink. Any tips?

CASH
- How do you get saved cash back home?

MORTGAGE
- How do these work? Is it 3 or 4 times you're salary like the UK?

My mail is a bit long I know, sorry about that, but any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old Feb 8th 2005, 4:05 pm
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need top tips on Dubai! (ta)

Originally Posted by azza888
Hello there everybody. I've been reading through all your advice and you all seem like a helpful bunch. I'm a Brit who's been headhunted for a job in Dubai with Nakheel; I wonder if I could trouble anyone for some advice?

PACKAGE
- I've been offered dh12,000, which includes a transport allowance of 800dh + accomodation. What do you reckon, should I hold out for more?

ACCOMODATION
- I'll be working for Nakheel, and my accomodation will be a one bedroom apartment in their Gardens development. Any ideas what this is like? The website seems pretty good.

- What's the Gardens area like? Is their much entertainment/leisure/nightlife? How am I going to find commuting to Nakheel HQ?

CAR
- How do most people go about buying a car? How much would it cost per month to 'lease to buy' a decent model?

FOOTBALL/CRICKET

PEOPLE

CASH

MORTGAGE

My mail is a bit long I know, sorry about that, but any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
A very helpful bunch we are too LOL

Face actually is the helpful one, the rest of us are just slobs but don't tell them that.....

Anyways the Gardens developement is rather nice, I was looking round it the other day for the first time. Not been inside an apartment but have seen a few Nakheel properties and they are better than Emaar.

The Gardens is in Jebel Ali off intersection 6/7 SZR, depends where Nakheel HQ is...I have no idea.

Loads of footie and sporty stuff going on all over the place, you will be better to find that out once you get here but yes!!!

People here drink loads and fall over often.

Your post is not long there have been longer!!

Sorry i cannot help you any more than this but I am just a housey wifey person who has nothing to do with the finances....in fact I have nothing to do......PMSL

I am sure you will enjoy....and welcome to the forum.

Face will be along shortly to answer this properly

If you will excuse me I have a wedding to organise.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:06 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by azza888

PACKAGE

ACCOMODATION

CAR

FOOTBALL/CRICKET

PEOPLE

CASH

MORTGAGE

Cheers
hello azza888. welcome to the site. In London at the mo, but am a very, very long term Dubai resident, so I will try and answer ur long post........

ur package is resonable..... u cud always swap jobs if something better comes up. Obviously this depends on how desperate u r to get out to Dubai.

the gardens........ hmmmmmm..... website may be good, but from what i have heard, the apartments are small and arent particularly the most sturdy structures. There is no danger of the buildings collapsing or anything... they are just full of cracks.... so i have heard. very good looking community though. the cracks may be a thing of the past now. The place looks good though. Very quiet area and very colourful buildings.

At the mo, the gardens is located about 40kms outside the main City Centre.... no exactly the hub of dubai, but it will be in a few years with all the MEGA developments around the Gardens. There is a MASSIVE gardens shopping mall infront of the resedential complex that opens at the end of this month.

To buy a car, walk into the showroom, inquire about prices and settle on a payment plan.... each agent has different deals. prices start at AED30K for a daihatsu and go up to AED 500K for a Range Rover (AED 6.5 = GBP 1.00)

yep..... there r lots of local football leagues, but they r not as popular as the ones here in the U.K. The locals obviously follow it, but expats rarely do. U can stay up2date with the English Premiership on tv though. Cricket clubs are plentiful and u cud always join one of them if u want to play.

The social life is fantastic and Dubai is FULL of pubs, clubs and bars, which are full of expats.

cash transfers thru banks that have tie ups with UK banks are possible or u cud use Western Union. Thats quite easy. Many int'l banks have branches here, so that might help in transfers too.

Mortgages for homes are designed to allow u to pay off the entire cost over x years. depending on the bank/mortgage company u approach, u will get different offers.

Hope that helps with ur q's. I f uhave any more q's, look at the FAQ threads or feel free to drop me an e-mail or PM (private message) if u need any further help.

Enjoy the site!

F

Last edited by Face81; Feb 8th 2005 at 5:10 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:08 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jellybean
A very helpful bunch we are too LOL

Face actually is the helpful one, the rest of us are just slobs but don't tell them that.....

Face will be along shortly to answer this properly

If you will excuse me I have a wedding to organise.
we will excuse u indeed.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Arthur Fonzarelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Azza!

This might spook you out a bit (although you may know) but I have had the same job offer! (I think I know who you are!!! if it helps you work out who I am, I saw you this morning!). what are your thoughts at the moment? would be good to get in contact to discuss it all.

If you didn't know I was in the same position as you, no doubt this has confused you mightily!

Obviousy Arthur Fonzarelli is not my real name!

C
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

azza888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, ha, ha!!! It's a small, and slightly spooky world! It's a good job I didn't see this message first because I'd be in serious mental bother!

First thoughts are go for it, chances like this don't come around too often.

Cheers to everyone who has offered their help and advice.

Azza