Reload this Page >

Need some good advice about relocating to dubai

Need some good advice about relocating to dubai

Old May 20th 2009, 3:25 am
Just Joined

crespo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some good advice about relocating to dubai

Hi
I hope someone can give me some good info on what to look out for with regards to re locating to the middle east.
I can potentialy take up 1 of 2 positions offered to me.
One is in Dubai and the other is in Qatar.
I have done a bit of research on this forum and to be quite honest im a little worried.
At the moment i am struggling with finding work in the UK. (blame the recesion)
So i am giving a move to the middle east some serious thought.
My main concern is that i work in construction.
And it looks like the bottom is falling out of the industry at the moment.
The last thing i want to do is relocate and for it to go tits up.
Having read about rent on the forum there is no way i would considor going without rent being included in my contract.
And having no idea of the cost of living. If someone could give me an idea of a wage that you can live comfortably on would be a great help. (i dont want to be short changed)
As i would be providing for myself my other half an eventualy a child. (a bun is in the oven).
Any pointers and advise would be very welcome.
What should i ask for in my contract as i really do not want to make a huge mistake.
Thank you in advance.
Neil.

Last edited by crespo; May 20th 2009 at 3:28 am.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some good advice about relocating to dubai

Originally Posted by crespo
Hi
I hope someone can give me some good info on what to look out for with regards to re locating to the middle east.
I can potentialy take up 1 of 2 positions offered to me.
One is in Dubai and the other is in Qatar.
I have done a bit of research on this forum and to be quite honest im a little worried.
At the moment i am struggling with finding work in the UK. (blame the recesion)
So i am giving a move to the middle east some serious thought.
My main concern is that i work in construction.
And it looks like the bottom is falling out of the industry at the moment.
The last thing i want to do is relocate and for it to go tits up.
Having read about rent on the forum there is no way i would considor going without rent being included in my contract.
And having no idea of the cost of living. If someone could give me an idea of a wage that you can live comfortably on would be a great help. (i dont want to be short changed)
As i would be providing for myself my other half an eventualy a child. (a bun is in the oven).
Any pointers and advise would be very welcome.
What should i ask for in my contract as i really do not want to make a huge mistake.
Thank you in advance.
Neil.

I would go for Qatar, things aint good in construction here in the UAE at the minute, though Abu Dhabi still seem to be recruiting. What exactly is it you do? Yes I agree make sure rent is including in your package.

Are you married to the other half?
Old May 20th 2009, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I would go for Qatar, things aint good in construction here in the UAE at the minute, though Abu Dhabi still seem to be recruiting. What exactly is it you do? Yes I agree make sure rent is including in your package.

Hi Blue Cat.
I work in Industrial cladding and have been offered a supervisory role by 2 seperate companys.
For those that dont know what that is i install metal sheeting to buildings. I.E i make B&Q look like B&Q not just a metal frame.
I am not married to my other half. (yet).
Would that be a problem.?
Old May 20th 2009, 3:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Blue Cat.
I work in Industrial cladding and have been offered a supervisory role by 2 seperate companys.
For those that dont know what that is i install metal sheeting to buildings. I.E i make B&Q look like B&Q not just a metal frame.
right don't know anything about that industry at all, the guys will advise. I wouldn't imagine the pay is big for this type of position buy you never know.

Married - yes you must be, especially with a baby on the way.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Hi Blue Cat.
For idea of living cost, take a look to the link below, lot of people live with less (us) and lot of people burn much more money: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Cost_of_living_in_UAE

Regarding living with someone without been married... lot of people do, even if it is against the law. However if you are expecting a child that is a whole different story. You cannot sponsor your wife and child without been married, they cannot get medical assistance here and a lot of different things. So I would not advice.

Good luck.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:05 am
Just Joined

right don't know anything about that industry at all, the guys will advise. I wouldn't imagine the pay is big for this type of position buy you never know.

Married - yes you must be, especially with a baby on the way.
I have been told to expect the same pay as i get here but without tax.
So it would be aprox 50 to 60k GBP.
Is this livable.?
And it looks like i hed better pull my finger out and marry the other half.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:08 am
Concierge

Is this livable.?
you could live on that after you have paid for a wedding ....
Old May 20th 2009, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i would also second qatar, ad is not really recruiting, if they are its for much much lower package etc, stay away from uae. yes rememberthat you cannot live together unless you are married, and with a baby on the way, you cannot have it here in the uae too.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Blue Cat.
i wouldnt have thought that there were big bucks in that, a lot of the old buildings here get refurbed in that way to make them all look nice and pretty, so there are quite a few companies here doing it tho.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Here was me thinking that B&Q was just a metal frame?
Only kidding, know what you mean.

You need to give details of what you are being offered, so people can give advice or make judgement.

I have friends working on the monorail, I would have thought there is a lot of metal cladding going on at the stations.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:05 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Just a comment on cost of living in terms of weekly shop, I've found that UK- UAE are now on a par (couple plus toddler)... the UAE may be a bit more expensive, depending on how the conversion rate is behaving. This is based on shopping at Tescos and Geant (French/UAE equivalent) with not many frills, but still the occasional treat.

[end of completely random bit of info]

At the end of the day, if you haven't got a job in the UK and are having difficulty finding another one in the UK and haven't got any real ties, nor debts, take the leap. Don't underestimate what you're doing and don't think you'll suddenly be able to save all that scrummy tax-free-ness (it'll go on rent and various other things)... live light whereever you settle.

Basically, apply the same rules that you'd currently be living by in the UK (not splurging, not racking up debts, etc...) and factor in a bit of added uncertainty - there's no nanny-state safety net here! Oh, and formulate a realistic back-up plan, which includes for the timing of your new arrival!

Apart from all that... it's fine!
Old May 20th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Just a comment on cost of living in terms of weekly shop, I've found that UK- UAE are now on a par (couple plus toddler)... the UAE may be a bit more expensive, depending on how the conversion rate is behaving. This is based on shopping at Tescos and Geant (French/UAE equivalent) with not many frills, but still the occasional treat.

[end of completely random bit of info]
Suprised to hear you say that...we have found shopping in AD to be at least 25%+ more expensive than the UK, probably more. I know it's the extreme but Spinneys is the biggest joke....over £2.00 for a Muller Rice!!
Old May 20th 2009, 10:24 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Suprised to hear you say that...we have found shopping in AD to be at least 25%+ more expensive than the UK, probably more. I know it's the extreme but Spinneys is the biggest joke....over £2.00 for a Muller Rice!!
Hehe, yeah, our Almaya was selling toddler organic biscuits for 54AED (£9-10) for a pack of 6... UK price? £1.89.

Well, we were in Dubai, so I don't know if that makes any difference. We're also down on the south coast in the UK (not at the same time tho). It's swings and roundabouts really, fruit and veg are dirt cheap in the UAE, but comparatively expensive in the UK... dairy is cheap(ish) in the UK, but expenny in the UAE. It also depends if you go for branded stuff or supermarket's own. Meat in the UAE is my biggest bug-bear - cheap, but filled with "tenderisers" (chicken), colouring (I bought beefburgers that didn't change colour when they were cooked!) and goodness knows what else. Uk stuff may be more expensive, but at least you know what you're buying.

Anyhow, I always seem to walk away with an £80-100 weekly shop and in Dubai it was to the tune of 500-600 AED.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:15 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Hehe, yeah, our Almaya was selling toddler organic biscuits for 54AED (£9-10) for a pack of 6... UK price? £1.89.

Well, we were in Dubai, so I don't know if that makes any difference. We're also down on the south coast in the UK (not at the same time tho). It's swings and roundabouts really, fruit and veg are dirt cheap in the UAE, but comparatively expensive in the UK... dairy is cheap(ish) in the UK, but expenny in the UAE. It also depends if you go for branded stuff or supermarket's own. Meat in the UAE is my biggest bug-bear - cheap, but filled with "tenderisers" (chicken), colouring (I bought beefburgers that didn't change colour when they were cooked!) and goodness knows what else. Uk stuff may be more expensive, but at least you know what you're buying.

Anyhow, I always seem to walk away with an £80-100 weekly shop and in Dubai it was to the tune of 500-600 AED.
the key to is not to buy imported stuff, we only spend about 350 dhs a week, with a bi monthly visit to the organic supermarket for month - 150 dhs a time maximum.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Is this livable.?
Hi Crespo
I moved out here in April and have found the prices to be similar to those in the UK. The secret appears to be to avoid those brand labelled things you just popped into the trolley in the UK as there will be a shock when you get to checkout.
Regarding "same pay less tax" be very carefull as you will be arriving here after April 6th and therefore will not be here for a complete tax year (and therefore tax exempt unless you stay until April 7th 2011. So make sure you put the money aside in case you get the push and have to go back early.
That's my plan anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.