British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Need some advice on the current cost of living in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/need-some-advice-current-cost-living-dubai-873896/)

Creighton Mar 7th 2016 1:08 pm

Need some advice on the current cost of living in Dubai

Hello everyone,

I know this question has probably been asked a million times before and I apologize in advance, but I need some up-to-date information on the cost of living in Dubai as of today (mar '16).

I'm currently working for a Spanish company who've offered a new spot in Dubai. I'd be earning 144k AED anually (12k AED a month), with health insurance included.
I'd be living with my (future, for the obvious legal reasons!) wife who wouldn't be employed to start off with but would be looking for work ASAP.

I would also need to rent a car, or maybe even buy one if the price is right.

I'm obviously looking at a studio appartment, maybe in the al barsha(?) area.

And of course, my million dollar question is; Would my wife and I be able to live comfortably on that salary?

Please feel free to ask about any details I may have left out.

Thank you for the help in advance and again, I'm sorry for having such a repeated question as my first ever post on the forum!

Kind regards,
Creighton

mission Mar 7th 2016 1:11 pm

Re: Need some advice on the current cost of living in Dubai

do you have any other allowances included in your package - ie housing/transport - your housing will be the biggest expenditure out here.

mission Mar 7th 2016 1:13 pm

and when you say with health insurance included, does that mean the company is paying for that, or it's been factored into your monthly salary?

because legally the company has to provide your health insurance which should be over and above your salary

Creighton Mar 7th 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. No, I would have to pay for the housing and in regards to transport, the company would pay for my relocation (flights to and from Spain and Dubai) but once I'm there, I'd have to pay for transport (be it via car or public transport)

Creighton Mar 7th 2016 1:15 pm

Oh yes, health insurance for me and my wife would be paid for by the company :)

mission Mar 7th 2016 1:17 pm

a studio is going to set you back by at least 60-70k so that's half your salary already gone. In addition your rent will need to be paid up front for the full year. Some landlords will accept either quarterly or bi-annually post dated cheques (but they will increase the rent), otherwise to get the best bargaining tool you'll need to be able to pay in 1 cheque.

mission Mar 7th 2016 1:20 pm

i hate to say it but you are going to struggle to survive on AED 12k per month for the two of you.

I'll let the other regulars on here give you the low down....but 12k, won't cut it.

Irishbeekeeper Mar 7th 2016 1:26 pm

Bad idea to come here on 12k a month, especially with prices going up and market going down AND your partner not working.

What does the spanish company do if you dont mind me asking. Maybe its a field in which they have a chance to grow here (and you as well)?

Creighton Mar 7th 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks Mission, it's something I'll have to evaluate, your help is greatly appreciated!

Hi Irish, the company's name is Cosentino, it's a natural stone and agglomarate surface provider ie: kitchen worktops, façades, flooring, etc. I currently work as a business analyst and marketing coordinator for the company. Thanks for your time!

Irishbeekeeper Mar 7th 2016 1:35 pm

yeah, sorry for the bad news mate but if you were alone then maybe u might have had a bit of fun while living on a relatively tight budget OR if they were paying for your flat but having said that the industry you are in really wont see a boom here.
I would recommend Iran..maybe?

Creighton Mar 7th 2016 1:48 pm

Haha bad news is better than going in dark, so thanks for that! Looks like I'm going to have to try and squeeze a bit more out of them.

Brains1983 Mar 7th 2016 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Creighton (Post 11888628)
Haha bad news is better than going in dark, so thanks for that! Looks like I'm going to have to try and squeeze a bit more out of them.

You going to have to do more than squeeze them. Your going to want upwards of double the current offer.

Creighton Mar 7th 2016 3:41 pm

Hi Brains,

Thanks for you answer. Would you say that even if the company included a company car in the deal, I still wouldn't be able to get by? Or would rent take up the vast majority or my salary?

Thanks in advace! :)

Brains1983 Mar 8th 2016 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Creighton (Post 11888774)
Hi Brains,

Thanks for you answer. Would you say that even if the company included a company car in the deal, I still wouldn't be able to get by? Or would rent take up the vast majority or my salary?

Thanks in advance! :)

rent will take up a huge portion of your salary. What you don't want is to arrive here with you both dependent on 1 x 12k monthly income with or without the rental car from your employer, of course the car would help.

You'd "get by" on the package you were offered, but just "getting by" is not a position you want to be in when you are here. Well, in my opinion anyway.

Everyone has different goals when they arrive here, but nearly everyone is here to put money away quicker than they can back home. That's going to be very very tough with two people on that package.

Scamp will likely pop along shortly and contribute to this, when you break down the package into costs of living over here, you'll sort of see what I mean.

mission Mar 8th 2016 8:44 am

here's quick break down
income 12k
housing easily 5-6k
dewa (water and lecky) 0.5k (included in your monthly usage will be your 'housing fee' which is 5% of the rent)
internet/tel/tv 1k
car with petrol at least 3k
groceries/eating out etc 3k (if not more)
you'll be in debt from day one