British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Need to see a Dr but i’m not sure what to do! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/need-see-dr-but-i%E2%80%99m-not-sure-what-do-831433/)

JamesandTamsin Apr 16th 2014 7:48 am

Need to see a Dr but i’m not sure what to do!

Hi all,
I’m almost embarrassed to ask this question but there’s no one on my office who has been here longer than 2 months so I doubt they will know!

I need to see a Dr - today if possible as I have a suspected UTI... ;)

I have private healthcare insurance (and I have my card!). But I don’t know where to go!

Do you go to the hospital? If so which one offers walk in type appointments?

Any help greatly appreciated as i’m quite uncomfortable...

James

archie159 Apr 16th 2014 7:56 am

Re: Need to see a Dr but i’m not sure what to do!

It might help if you said which country and city you work in...! And which insurance you have. And maybe what a UTI is...

In general, go to anywhere which takes your insurance. If this is urgent, go to A&E (taking your insurance details) - most A&E will, by definition, take walk-ins. Some insurance schemes (eg mine, Daman) have websites etc where you can look up a list of providers by speciality. But if you started by telling us where you are, someone might be able to recommend somewhere specific.

JamesandTamsin Apr 16th 2014 7:57 am

ok - I’m in Doha - Qatar.

UTI = Urinary Tract Infection. Basically can’t pee properly! (See Tom Hanks in The Green Mile)..

Dubaiexile Apr 16th 2014 8:08 am

The website of you Insurance provider should provide you with some answers, if not call them.

weasel decentral Apr 16th 2014 8:11 am

I am no marine biologist but I would say for a UTI you could probably just rock up to a pharmacy and tell them the story. Usually they will diagnose and dispense over the counter.
Unless you feel you have something serious.

Millhouse Apr 16th 2014 8:56 am

It is not for me to judge. When does the wife come over? Take the antibios before she gets here and make sure its all cleared up.

Pharamacy is the first point of call - as they will just give you some augmentin over the counter.

JamesandTamsin Apr 16th 2014 9:29 am

Seriously nothing sinister involved! I asked a pharmacy, but was met with a blank look by an indian lady. Not a great start.

I managed to register with the Ahli Hospital but the GP wouldn’t prescribe me with any antibiotics.They referred me to the Urologist who is in a meeting till tomorrow. Great!

Just as another point of interest, my health insurance were next to useless. I have a list of 100 places I can visit in Dubai and 100 more for Abu Dhabi but bugger all for Qatar. V helpful!

Thanks all for the replies :)

James

Meow Apr 16th 2014 9:43 am

Do any antibiotics in the ME require a prescription? I thought all of them were OTC.

Of course you can go and see any GP and pay for it yourself. If something is serious, why not do that? A simple appointment is not expensive.

JamesandTamsin Apr 16th 2014 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11221354)
Do any antibiotics in the ME require a prescription? I thought all of them were OTC.

Of course you can go and see any GP and pay for it yourself. If something is serious, why not do that? A simple appointment is not expensive.

Maybe I saw a useless pharmacist but she was as much help as a chocolate fireguard! My appointment is at 13:00 tomorrow so i’ll probably just wait for that. Some Ibuprofen has taken the edge off :blink:

I think the appointment was 500QAR today - not sure if that’s average?

Millhouse Apr 16th 2014 9:59 am

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin (Post 11221373)
Maybe I saw a useless pharmacist but she was as much help as a chocolate fireguard! My appointment is at 13:00 tomorrow so i’ll probably just wait for that. Some Ibuprofen has taken the edge off :blink:

Good to know the Ibuprofen has taken some of the pain out of the ol' japs-eye.

500 is about right. They are 350-600 in Dubai. It's not cheap.

I'm pay and claim - check with your insurance provider if you can do this. Sometimes you can still claim out of network.

Drink some cranberry juice. There is a reason the girl you were with was drinking vodka-cranberry and it's not the taste. ;)

Meow Apr 16th 2014 10:01 am

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin (Post 11221373)

A GP appointment is the UAE is usually a bit less, but it's not much to pay for your health.

If your medical insurance plan has so few options in Qatar you should ask your insurer if you can pay and reclaim if you go somewhere not on the list. That can be feasible, depending in the plan your employer has selected.

Alexa Apr 16th 2014 1:43 pm

Go to a pharmacy and get this : Proximol compound". Tastes like shite, but works like a charm.
Good luck and get well .

busybee2 Apr 16th 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin (Post 11221259)
Hi all,
I’m almost embarrassed to ask this question but there’s no one on my office who has been here longer than 2 months so I doubt they will know!

I need to see a Dr - today if possible as I have a suspected UTI... ;)

I have private healthcare insurance (and I have my card!). But I don’t know where to go!

Do you go to the hospital? If so which one offers walk in type appointments?

Any help greatly appreciated as i’m quite uncomfortable...

James

think you are in doha if i remember right, prob same as uae, you should have a list of docs on the list of approved health care providers, or if not go to the gp clinics at the local hospital, on the back of your card it usually asks you to copay a small bit like in uae 50dhs etc.

busybee2 Apr 16th 2014 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11221316)
It is not for me to judge. When does the wife come over? Take the antibios before she gets here and make sure its all cleared up.

Pharamacy is the first point of call - as they will just give you some augmentin over the counter.

but technically they are not meant to give you augmentin which is the favoured brand for most things here, but some will.

busybee2 Apr 16th 2014 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11221354)

they do normally require a script.. but i know some chemists if you bring the old packages they will give you another one! but they shouldnt.:blink: