Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need Quality Legal Help in Dubai, reg whether or not I have a Case against me.

Need Quality Legal Help in Dubai, reg whether or not I have a Case against me.

Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Zohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Quality Legal Help in Dubai, reg whether or not I have a Case against me.

Hi All,

I am trying to find out if I have a file recorded against me in the UAE & other GCC countries. I left Dubai a couple of years ago due to bad treatment from my employer. Had to leave quick & left debts to three lenders, aprox £20k. Was unemployed on my return to the UK for a while so couldn't pay back.

I believe if I can find out my status & whether or not a creditor has reported me to the Police or whatever, I will be able to find out about it & hopefully make arrangements to make payments to clear any bans/ Arrest Warrants etc.

I have an offer of work in another GCC country & obviously do not want to be extradited or locked up when I get there!!!

I contacted a Legal Company in Dubai for help & got the following email:

""If you could provide us with a copy of passport as well as the copy of the visa stamped , I could find out if any case is registered against you here at Dubai and if so what kind of Case is it , whether if it is through out the GCC or not. Our service charges for the complete checkup is Dhs 4000. Kindly intimate if you are interested to proceed. Looking forward to your reply.""

1, Can anyone advise me on any other companies that will do it for cheaper???
2, Is there another way of obtaining the info???
3, And will the info be reliable???

Thanks a lot in advance if anyone can give me some constructive advice
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need Quality Legal Help in Dubai, reg whether or not I have a Case against me.

4000 dhs? Holy crap. Lawyer to the Jackson family is he?

good luck... let us know how the report comes back I would be personally interested myself.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

xoxo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need Quality Legal Help in Dubai, reg whether or not I have a Case against me.

I'm a lawyer Zohan, but a British one at an international firm in the DIFC (so basically I have no idea). I'll ask my m8 at work (who's a guy with local experience) tomorrow and see if there's any way to do it cheaper.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:08 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
4000 dhs? Holy crap. Lawyer to the Jackson family is he?

good luck... let us know how the report comes back I would be personally interested myself.
4k is cheap...one lawyer I went to see about my no-contest divorce wanted 20K plus another 10k when it was done!

N.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by xoxo
I'm a lawyer Zohan, but a British one at an international firm in the DIFC (so basically I have no idea). I'll ask my m8 at work (who's a guy with local experience) tomorrow and see if there's any way to do it cheaper.
Hi, Thanks for that!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Dubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant future

I have used a lawyer recently for a friend of mine who was in bother, however, I wouldn't say he was a quality one.

He charges 10K a case (criminal) start to finish including any appeals.

I was told by my new best mate in the Public Prosecution that to get a loacal you are talking big money so I wouldn't pin your hopes on that.

Most of them I have met are either Sudanese or Egyptians.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

No need for all of this at all it is an easy procedure, call Bur Dubai police station +97143981111 tell them you want to find out if there is a case against you, they will ask you for your passport number and date of birth, they will tell you. If you dont want to do it yourself, send me your passport number and date of birth along with full name and I can find out for you.

Just for info, if you are moving to another GCC country the chances of a n immigration warrrant for you are VERY slim.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Dubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by banter64
No need for all of this at all it is an easy procedure, call Bur Dubai police station +97143981111 tell them you want to find out if there is a case against you, they will ask you for your passport number and date of birth, they will tell you. If you dont want to do it yourself, send me your passport number and date of birth along with full name and I can find out for you.

Good luck getting any kind of sense from anyone at Bur Dub Police station. I have been in and out of that places for weeks. It is run by imbiciles who will just pass you piller to post. The one guy to talk to is major Abdullah (2nd in charge). You could try to talk to the Director but he rarely lets anyone and then passes you on to his no.2.

It is renowned as the worst Police ststion in the UAE for getting anything done. They wouldn't even discuss anything with a friend of ours who is a head shed at Jebel Ali Police.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

XOXO can you recommend any lawyer preferable pro bono on labour/redundancy/ witholding pay etc. Also preferably in Abu Dabs, if you only have info for DXB thats fine.

Any help would be fab
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zohan
Hi, Thanks for that!
The guy wasn't in today but he's back tomorrow. I'll make sure to ask him first thing and post back here.

Zoukla, I'm afraid the only guys I know in law firms are in the big internationals (i.e. expensive). I'll ask around tomorrow though to see if anyone can recommend someone less expensive to handle labour issues in AD.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Dont companies in the UAE allow their employees to utilise inhouse lawyers for free legal advice? Generally available in Australia. My past company while working in the UAE (Australian) allowed us to use the company lawyer for legal advice without cost.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Hi, Thanks for that!
I had a chat with my friend at work who knows about this sort of stuff. He reckons AED 4K is about right as inquiries have to be made with 1. The Police, 2. the Dubai Courts, and 3. the Immigration Department. He also pointed out that if all of these inquiries were to come back negative, you could be 95% comfortable that no travel ban or arrest warrant exists (and an arrest warrant would only exist for a bounced cheque).

However, he noted that one can never really be 100% certain due to the nature of the disorganised bureaucracy here in Dubai.

I hope that helps. PM me if you want and I can pass you his contact details if that would assist.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

However, he noted that one can never really be 100% certain due to the nature of the disorganised bureaucracy here in Dubai.
This worries me on so many levels
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

I had a chat with my friend at work who knows about this sort of stuff. He reckons AED 4K is about right as inquiries have to be made with 1. The Police, 2. the Dubai Courts, and 3. the Immigration Department. He also pointed out that if all of these inquiries were to come back negative, you could be 95% comfortable that no travel ban or arrest warrant exists (and an arrest warrant would only exist for a bounced cheque).

I hope that helps. PM me if you want and I can pass you his contact details if that would assist.
Ok thanks alot, I will go ahead with the Searches through the Dubai solicitor and see what comes up.

Just a thought? could I skip all this & go straight to the GCC country immigration where I have the job offer? would they let me know if there would be a problem with my arrival??

And what about a new passport perhaps??

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks alot, I will go ahead with the Searches through the Dubai solicitor and see what comes up.

Just a thought? could I skip all this & go straight to the GCC country immigration where I have the job offer? would they let me know if there would be a problem with my arrival??

And what about a new passport perhaps??

Cheers
Re the immigration - that is one avenue that would need to be checked, but you'd also need to check with the police and the courts to ensure that there is no outstanding court file.

I don't know if a new passport would help. I'll ask though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.