British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Need to make wire transfer - use my bank or Western Union? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/need-make-wire-transfer-use-my-bank-western-union-691803/)

Bungdit Din Nov 1st 2010 9:18 pm

Need to make wire transfer - use my bank or Western Union?

I'm trying to buy something online from the USA with shipping via Aramex but the company I'm buying from says their policy is that if you're a new customer and you want the item shipped to a freight forwarding company, you have to pay by wire transfer.

I can do the xfer online with my internet banking but would it be cheaper to go and do it at a Western Union counter? The item isn't a lot of money, about $35.

EDIT - forget it, I thought WU could send the money to a bank account but they can only send it to another WU office, which doesn't work for me. I guess it's my bank and probably 100 dhs in charges then...

Brains1983 Nov 2nd 2010 4:56 am

Re: Need to make wire transfer - use my bank or Western Union?

Will they not accept paypal?

Bungdit Din Nov 2nd 2010 6:11 am

Not for new customers who want to ship to a freight forwarding company. Once you've proved your bona fides with a wire transfer for your first order, they say they'll allow you to use normal payment methods.

csdf Nov 2nd 2010 7:04 am

Do you have a pal in the States who would do it for you? Or who would order it, then post it on to your Aramex PO Box.

GingerWizard Nov 2nd 2010 9:59 am

try the other money exchanges - there are heaps and its about 50dhs to do a wire transfer to any bank account, 2 days to clear - I've done several transfers to Asia & Australia before

954RR Nov 2nd 2010 10:09 am

Try UAEXchange 40dh and my money arrives in my bank account the same day. They are in Emirates Mall :thumbup:

Bigtaff Nov 2nd 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 8956659)
Try UAEXchange 40dh and my money arrives in my bank account the same day. They are in Emirates Mall :thumbup:

They are also online :)

http://www.uaeexchange.com/uae/webpa...geid=117&lng=3 and click on remittance services.

954RR (CBR??) - which service do you use?

Bigtaff Nov 2nd 2010 10:41 am

That said, I can't see a link for online transfer, even though the Google advert says Online Money Transfer?

954RR Nov 2nd 2010 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8956716)
954RR (CBR??)

Correct and missing it :(

Bigtaff I just pitch up at their branch opposite carrefour with an envelope full of cash and send it on.
If you are doing regular transfers then visit and ask them what info they need for cash to bank transfers they will give you a form which you can fill in to receive one of their switch cards.
I just present that and then they pull up my details
Usually you can get their rate on the board minus 2 points if you are tranfering a large sum. They get some bids and ask you if you except.
Usually if you look on xe.com and the GBP to AED rate is 5.64 then the UAEXchange board rate is about 5.68 and you can usually get 5.66.
Mind you it has been a while since it has been that good.
cost for the transfer is 40dh total their are no charges at the UK end. :)

Bigtaff Nov 2nd 2010 11:05 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 8956770)
Correct and missing it :(

Bigtaff I just pitch up at their branch opposite carrefour with an envelope full of cash and send it on.
If you are doing regular transfers then visit and ask them what info they need for cash to bank transfers they will give you a form which you can fill in to receive one of their switch cards.
I just present that and then they pull up my details
Usually you can get their rate on the board minus 2 points if you are tranfering a large sum. They get some bids and ask you if you except.
Usually if you look on xe.com and the GBP to AED rate is 5.64 then the UAEXchange board rate is about 5.68 and you can usually get 5.66.
Mind you it has been a while since it has been that good.
cost for the transfer is 40dh total their are no charges at the UK end. :)

Miss mine too but hope to ship it out at some point :)

I will pop down and see them I think! No way I'm letting HSBC have my trousers down again (so to speak)!!

954RR Nov 2nd 2010 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8956786)
Miss mine too but hope to ship it out at some point :)

I will pop down and see them I think! No way I'm letting HSBC have my trousers down again (so to speak)!!

Make sure your UAE driving licence includes the fact that you can ride a bike on it. They do not automatically put it on and then you have to jump through all the hoops a second time. (Front of your licence bottom left hand corner vehicle permitted) You want to see a 1 and a 3 there.
Depending on how long you are out here for consider it carefully as you have to drive a long way (Oman) to find a decent road. :(
--Back on thread --
My bank (Was RBS but is now ADCB) could only ever give me an approximate rate on line which was always high. Someone else suggested the UAEX and I have found them very friendly and helpfull.
I like the fact that I know what the rate will be before I saw yes and as they sort of follow XE.com I can generally work out their rate from the internet.

Bigtaff Nov 2nd 2010 11:34 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 8956794)
Make sure your UAE driving licence includes the fact that you can ride a bike on it. They do not automatically put it on and then you have to jump through all the hoops a second time.

Yeah, had it put on same day that I got my driving license done :)

Roadking Nov 2nd 2010 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 8956794)
...Depending on how long you are out here for consider it carefully as you have to drive a long way (Oman) to find a decent road. :(

Not true, there are loads of good roads; Jebel Hafeet for one, through the Al Hajjar mountains or a couple of nice rides at the back of Hatta Fort. You just need to know where to look. Oman does have some cool roads though.

954RR Nov 2nd 2010 3:17 pm

I agree that around Hatta Fort there are some good roads (On the border of Oman) but you still have to ride flat straight roads for an age to get there. :(