Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need International Driver's License?!

Need International Driver's License?!

Old May 8th 2006, 2:22 am
Mamma said knock you out

Air Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really nice
Default Re: Need International Driver's License?!

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Which company have you rented it through?

I need to make some phone calls in a few minutes to organise a car for next week so I can ask them if you let me know
I rented it from holiday autos, thrifty UAE

"Cars can be taken outside the UAE to Oman only." At east that's good news.

Last edited by Air Polygamy; May 8th 2006 at 2:26 am.
Old May 8th 2006, 3:40 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Air Polygamy
I rented it from holiday autos, thrifty UAE

"Cars can be taken outside the UAE to Oman only." At east that's good news.
But you normally will need to pay an additional fee to extend the insurance coverage to Oman, if you are planning to go there make sure you actually have oman insurance on the insurance cert. so you don't have to get it at the border.
Old May 8th 2006, 4:31 am
Mamma said knock you out

Air Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really niceAir Polygamy is just really nice

Originally Posted by TA5
But you normally will need to pay an additional fee to extend the insurance coverage to Oman, if you are planning to go there make sure you actually have oman insurance on the insurance cert. so you don't have to get it at the border.

Oh no TA5. I am not planning to drive all the way to Oman. That's what the contract says.
Old May 8th 2006, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

akirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really nice

Is that all - you must be on a very quiet back street then
hehe, yea, I hear a lot of screeches and only recently realized that plastic doesnt make that satisfying "boom!" on impact like in the olden days.
Old May 8th 2006, 6:12 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by akirakhan
hehe, yea, I hear a lot of screeches and only recently realized that plastic doesnt make that satisfying "boom!" on impact like in the olden days.

No does just as much damage though
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

stufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to all

Is that all - you must be on a very quiet back street then
In the Dubai airport there is a place that advertises an international licence while you wait, but I'm not sure if that would apply to someone who holds a non-UAE licence.

I would not chance driving without a proper licence in A.D. I got pulled over there. They didn't even want to see my domestic licence. All they wanted was my international Even though an international was just a certified translation (and the cop spoke good English), it was the international that was important to him.
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:48 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stufried
In the Dubai airport there is a place that advertises an international licence while you wait, but I'm not sure if that would apply to someone who holds a non-UAE licence.

I would not chance driving without a proper licence in A.D. I got pulled over there. They didn't even want to see my domestic licence. All they wanted was my international Even though an international was just a certified translation (and the cop spoke good English), it was the international that was important to him.
Holy crap, they pull people over...news to me!
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

akirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really niceakirakhan is just really nice

Originally Posted by TA5
Yea, I often see what appears to be people pulled over by the 'feds'
Old May 23rd 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

stufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to allstufried is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TA5
Unfortunately, I drive a little Mitsuibishi. They must have thought I was from the subcontinent.

Honestly, I still don't know why we were pulled over. I wasn't given a ticket and was only 5k over the post speeded limit.
Old May 23rd 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stufried
Unfortunately, I drive a little Mitsuibishi. They must have thought I was from the subcontinent.

Honestly, I still don't know why we were pulled over. I wasn't given a ticket and was only 5k over the post speeded limit.
I think if you have a mercedes or lexus you get a 40km speed upgrade...
How acurate are those radar cams? Do they have any leeway?
Old May 23rd 2006, 10:53 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by akirakhan
How acurate are those radar cams? Do they have any leeway?
I've found through bitter experience that they work well and are accurate but vague rule of thumb is a max of +10%. I've been told that the 120 kph are safe to 140 but after three fines in a week on the bloody mobile ones I am not going to be a guinea pig. I was never a crazy speeder but would often end up at 90-95 in 80's etc etc but even thats enough for a flash. And 600 chips is a lot to pay out for an inattentive week.

I am now a reformed charater, bleepy thing on car now set to 80kph....

The scary thing is I worked out that if I was in the Uk I would have been peddaling to work now....
Old May 24th 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zannie
It think it all depends on what country your driving licence was issued for e.g. if you hold a UK driving licence (as I do), you don't need an international licence here to hire a car and you can apply for a UAE licence without taking another driving test.
Does the same apply for Qatar? If so, will the old Uk paper licence be sufficient or will we need to apply for the photo licence?
We have a NZ photo licence but our Uk ones are the old paper ones.
Old May 24th 2006, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rascal
Does the same apply for Qatar? If so, will the old Uk paper licence be sufficient or will we need to apply for the photo licence?
We have a NZ photo licence but our Uk ones are the old paper ones.

No getting around it -if you want to rent a car in Abu Dhabi and dont have a UAE license you MUST have an international permit in addition to your native driver's license. No exceptions for any other countries. Of course I do know folks that rent their cars in Dubai where you dont need one. Also in my experience the car rentals in Abu Dhabi are much cheaper. Can anyone else confirm that?
Old May 25th 2006, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

With respect to the poster's comments about renting in Dubai and turning the car in Abu Dhabi, who knows whether they would take an undinged car.

My wife's company provides the software used in most Emirate Universities. At one of them they wanted a module of acceptable people to drop off their daughters. My wife asked them "is the school saying that they would really not take the daughter if an unacceptable person dropped off the girl, e.g. sent the Emirate girl off with her Pakistinai construction worker boyfriend and the school said "yes." That way they don't have responsibility. This slightly off topic analogy demonstrates the mindset here sometimes.

Rules are rules are rules (unless you know someone). Unfortunately in this country it is often the "rule de jour."
Old May 25th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

and I am still baffled with this!
We have a Uk full drivers licence and a NZ one.
The company reminded us to bring our International drivers licence in order to hire/buy a car. Help!
Rang the AA here for advice and as usual was none the wiser after the call!
They told me that a International licence was non existant?? It was merely a translation of your countries licence?
So, am wondering, what the hell do we bring?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.