Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need honest advice about my crazy plan...

Need honest advice about my crazy plan...

Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:19 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need honest advice about my crazy plan...

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
UmJam.. I have had a look at your website and I am sorry but I wouldn't rush to employ you sweetie........... your "junk sketch" thing just takes you to that other link you put up which means..... what?
I truly think you need some more experience before you come here.........but I am sure there will be others who disagree. xx
what would you be employing him for exactly?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UmJammerLeilani
It ain't Fine Art!

I'm more likely to make money with my drawings than with any poncey conceptual art nonsense, I'll tell you that! Hehe :P
Well then, get to it....what are doing here?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

UmJammerLeilani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
Well then, get to it....what are doing here?
It's cool, I am working hard, so hopefully it will pay off someday. Just hoping for some advice really if anybody knows what kind of opportunities there are over there in any kind of creative field.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:41 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

It's cool, I am working hard, so hopefully it will pay off someday. Just hoping for some advice really if anybody knows what kind of opportunities there are over there in any kind of creative field.
For what it's worth i think your stuff is really good mate, good luck and keep at it, you'll get there..!

Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

rebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nice

Hey all,

just registered on the forums, nice to meetcha!

If it's cool I'd like to get some views on my "great idea"

Basically, I'd like to move to Dubai... but I guess you need the back story...

I just graduated from University this year with a degree in Illustration, my original plan after graduating was to move back home, go back to my old job whilst slowly working towards building up contacts and commissions until I eventually get a good steady amount of freelance illustration work coming in. I know I have the motivation and talent to get where I want so that plan was great and I'd been totally focused on it...

THEN for various reasons, I'm looking to move abroad... I know that my original plan of action is probably not a suitable idea if I am serious about moving to Dubai SO

I've been sending my CV through various job websites (bayt, gulftalent, monster gulf etc) and to various companies and studios directly. I've been applying to anything creative that I'm genuinely enthusiastic about and feel I could successfully apply myself to from graphic design to interior design to visual merchandising... (anything that advertises itself as being nearer an entry-level position rather than requiring years of experience)

I'm hoping that eventually someone will give me a chance, but what could I do to improve this? I'd really like to talk to one particular forum member (Spugsy is it? I think so) who I've noticed has answered a few threads relating to graphic design/creative job stuffs... but I can't PM until I've made at least 3 forum posts so here I am!

OR could I still go with my original plan? Try get a job either in retail or admin somewhere (do people really sponsor UK citizens to come over for retail sales or secretarial jobs though? I can't imagine that....) and once in Dubai, then focus on building up some creative work for my portfolio?

Sorry for waffling on but I hope you guys could give me some advice, thanks all!

Ok, well, I'm not on here to reply often... but, I'm a Lincoln Graduate from 2007... so I'm recent and I moved to Dubai a month after graduating and went straight into an entry level design job. I have since moved on and am a Creative Designer at a big company here.

Theres a few of us from Lincoln here in Dubai in the design field... those in the know, will be aware that Lincoln is in fact an excellent uni for design and art related courses, and I know of a few companies who approach Lincoln for graduates and have good ties with the university...

That aside, there are not many graduates here, and I am younger than everyone I know as no one else came here without experience... so its tough, and I was just very lucky..

Any particular reason why you are interested in coming here?...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

UmJammerLeilani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rebeccadubai
Ok, well, I'm not on here to reply often... but, I'm a Lincoln Graduate from 2007... so I'm recent and I moved to Dubai a month after graduating and went straight into an entry level design job. I have since moved on and am a Creative Designer at a big company here.

Theres a few of us from Lincoln here in Dubai in the design field... those in the know, will be aware that Lincoln is in fact an excellent uni for design and art related courses, and I know of a few companies who approach Lincoln for graduates and have good ties with the university...

That aside, there are not many graduates here, and I am younger than everyone I know as no one else came here without experience... so its tough, and I was just very lucky..

Any particular reason why you are interested in coming here?...
Thanks so much for your reply, Rebecca! Is it possible if you could send me a PM at all and I can ask you some questions? Or if you prefer, PM me your email address and we can chat via that?

EDIT: P.S. Thankyou, twisty100!

Last edited by UmJammerLeilani; Oct 19th 2008 at 8:38 am.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

Well..i dont know much about your stuff..but all the best and good luck for you.

Check http://www.twofour54.com

based in Abu Dhabi , hope you will be able to work over there

good luck