Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need to find a 1BR in AUH - Help!

Need to find a 1BR in AUH - Help!

Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

NutellaIsYummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to find a 1BR in AUH - Help!

Hi, everyone, new member here!

I currently live in Dubai, but am looking for a place in Abu Dhabi. My lease here doesn't end until late summer, but my employer keeps asking me when I am going to move, so I guess should at least start looking.

My housing allowance isn't that great -- AED 135K. I'd prefer not to go over that, but I am willing if that makes the difference between a clean, new building and a dilapidated roach palace. I'm targeting on the island, as I want to be able to move about/ meet other people easily... living in a partitioned villa in Khalifa A/ MBZ doesn't seem like a good means to that end (but let me know if I am wrong!).

I'm a single girl, so I'm looking for a 1BR. I'd love it if the building had a pool and gym; I NEED the bldg to have a parking spot. My job is near Sheikh Khalifa Park, but I don't particularly care how close I am to work (since I currently drive from Dubai, any place in Abu Dhabi will be an improvement!).

Any advice? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to find a 1BR in AUH - Help!

Originally Posted by NutellaIsYummy
Hi, everyone, new member here!

I currently live in Dubai, but am looking for a place in Abu Dhabi. My lease here doesn't end until late summer, but my employer keeps asking me when I am going to move, so I guess should at least start looking.

My housing allowance isn't that great -- AED 135K. I'd prefer not to go over that, but I am willing if that makes the difference between a clean, new building and a dilapidated roach palace. I'm targeting on the island, as I want to be able to move about/ meet other people easily... living in a partitioned villa in Khalifa A/ MBZ doesn't seem like a good means to that end (but let me know if I am wrong!).

I'm a single girl, so I'm looking for a 1BR. I'd love it if the building had a pool and gym; I NEED the bldg to have a parking spot. My job is near Sheikh Khalifa Park, but I don't particularly care how close I am to work (since I currently drive from Dubai, any place in Abu Dhabi will be an improvement!).

Any advice? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
No idea about AUH accomodation.......

.......... but can we discuss Nutella?

Disgusting stuff.............
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

kaz lou abu dhabi is an unknown quantity at this point

You would get a nice 1 bedroomed spilt villa between 2 bridges for that, with access to a pool. Good location for left bank etc. Otherwise muroor is your only other option if u are lucky!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Doable for sure. Our PA renegotiated her rent in Feb from 190k to 130k for a 2 bed on Hamdan

No pool or parking though.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There.

If your not too bothered about were your living..for your budget you can get a brand new 2 bed villa on Al Reef, there are lots still vacant and the asking price is around 120,000 Dhs but Ive heard people getting them cheaper.

My friend went to have a look and said they were great for singles or couples,they have a little garden etc.

I understand that they may be some on site ''facilities'' being built, but will be a while before they are finished.

I dont know the drive time from Al Reef to Khalifa park, but cant imagine it being long because your not hitting the city at all.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:05 am
Just Joined

JonOg is an unknown quantity at this point

Nutella

There is lots available and you will easily find something with your budget. I've just moved into a new apartment with Gym, Pool and Underground parking all for within your budget. Its on the island and approx 15 mins from Khalifa park. I can PM you the contact details of the person who arranged it for me once you can recieve them.

Good luck
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
No idea about AUH accomodation.......

.......... but can we discuss Nutella?

Disgusting stuff.............
A shame that you don't appreciate the finer things in life. Or at least the finer things that can be spread on toast.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the feedback so far, everyone.

as stated in the first post, the main thing driving my preference to live on the island, is that mbz and khalifa city seem very isolated to me. since I'm a single person, that seems a bit lonely, and since I am a girl, I do worry about safety (just a bit -- I know that it is generally very safe here, but I've met a number of sketchy taxi drivers, so I am a little uneasy at the thought of taking one to an isolated place late at night if I've been out).

from dubizzle, gulfnews, property finder, etc. (any other sites would be appreciated!), it looks like I should be able to get a 1BR for something close to my budget in the tourist club area. The buildings are new, but someone at work said something like tca is the discovery gardens of abu dhabi (budget housing, so lots of ppl overcrowding flats, etc) -- is this true?

Wrt split villas, are the partitions good, or will I be hearing everything that my neighbors are doing? Are the villas (that I can afford) generally nice, or are they kind of run down or are they hit and miss?

This is unrelated to my flat request, but what's a good gym to join in Abu Dhabi? I do Fitness First in Dubai and would like to find something similar. And suggestions?

thanks again!!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Tourist Club is a mix of old and new and a nightmare for parking unless you have underground parking. It's crowded but the benefit is that it is near to Abu Dhabi Mall, Meridien Hotel, Beach Hotel and not too far from The Club. Plenty of taxis due to the hotels and mall. The bus service is also good - one direct to Marina Mall and the Hilton on the Corniche. Sorry I don't know where Discovery gardens is in Dubai (we lived in Dubai in the early 90's when it was a lot smaller and rarely visit these days!) I think you are wise to try and get something on island - KCA, Raha, Al Reef are remote and taxis often rip people off who want to go off Island. Bateen, Manasir, Karamah, Al Nahyan districts (near the One to One hotel) may be worth investigating but not sure how many you will find in your budget.