Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need a Blackberry for Dubai and UK- solution?

Need a Blackberry for Dubai and UK- solution?

Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:20 am
FAX
Just Joined

FAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a Blackberry for Dubai and UK- solution?

I need a Blackberry urgently for work as I don't always have time to open my laptop.

Currently I'm on a Orange contract which has nearly finished. In the UAE I use a Wasel.

The actual cost of the Blackberry unit doesn't matter to me. What is going to hurt is the monthly data charges as I receive emails when roaming (and the voice call charges too) I know from painful experience how much I get hit for charges whenever people accidentally ring my Orange, I always end the call and ring back on the Wasel.

So what is the best solution for me? Is the Etisalat worldwide roaming a good deal (it doesn't include voice calls which I also need, are the roaming charges high). Or I've heard there is an o2 plan which is also worldwide unlimited data but haven't been able to see it on their website.

I'm hoping some of the forum members here are travelling regularly on business or know people that do and what they do?

Thanks all
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice
Default Re: Need a Blackberry for Dubai and UK- solution?

Etisalat charge AED 295 per month for global roaming with anothe aed20 for a connecton charge - no further charges for data usage.

voice calls from overseas and to overseas - yes they are bloody expensive !!!

Last edited by Foxes; Jul 17th 2009 at 11:37 am. Reason: add info
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:04 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FAX
I need a Blackberry urgently for work as I don't always have time to open my laptop.

Currently I'm on a Orange contract which has nearly finished. In the UAE I use a Wasel.

The actual cost of the Blackberry unit doesn't matter to me. What is going to hurt is the monthly data charges as I receive emails when roaming (and the voice call charges too) I know from painful experience how much I get hit for charges whenever people accidentally ring my Orange, I always end the call and ring back on the Wasel.

So what is the best solution for me? Is the Etisalat worldwide roaming a good deal (it doesn't include voice calls which I also need, are the roaming charges high). Or I've heard there is an o2 plan which is also worldwide unlimited data but haven't been able to see it on their website.

I'm hoping some of the forum members here are travelling regularly on business or know people that do and what they do?

Thanks all
Forget Blackberry, use fax.

hahahaha, erm, ok i'll get my coat!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

If you are flitting between the UK and UAE, best to have separate blackberry contracts with a UK provider and Etisalat.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Braden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to allBraden is a name known to all

Du are slightly cheaper for the BlackBerry subscription. If you are considering getting a UK SIM card as well then don't get an Etisalat handset - they are locked to the Etisalat network. And, in my opinion, avoid the Storm. Terrible piece of hardware!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Suggest you get a BB with data plan located in the place where you spend most of your time. You don't need 2 x BB data plans.
I have an Etisalat Global Unlimited which is expensive at Aed 295 but it does work very well and a regular UK SIM card in a separate handset (Orange as it happens).
If anyone calls on Orange when I'm in Dubai, I don't answer and just call them right back on the Etisalat.
I think Voda do a global tariff in the UK but not sure what it costs...
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

harrypic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FAX

Thanks all
There's very little difference in cost between a global roaming BB contract between UAE or UK operators - all are around 300Dhs (£50) a month - this will give you all you can eat emails wherever you are, but doesnt include voice calls - these will be on normal rates. All BB plans I know of do not give good voice call rates/minute buckets.

The best and cheapest solution I've found is to seperate the BB and voice and carry a phone as well as the BB and dont give out the BB number, just the voice number - that way you'll get much better rates on the phone contract (eg du are doing 1.25Dhs/min incoming world-wide roaming calls on some plans - so you can have a du line and still receive calls fairly cheaply from that line if your in UK - but its not on BB plans).

I have a main local du line with a great voice deal and a seperate Vodafone global BB roaming plan - it works well and cheaper than a BB only plan.