Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need advise : rent or sell ?

Need advise : rent or sell ?

Old Feb 17th 2006, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

nusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nice
Default Need advise : rent or sell ?

Hi,

I currently looking for an opportunity in UAE. I'm from UK.
My concern is just about my property. If I found what I'm looking for,
I doubt whether to rent it or sell it.
Either way, what actions do I need to take and who do I need to tell ?
I suppose, I need to tell the Council, Inland Revenue, or agent ( if I want
to rent it ), etc

I see the following advantages (+) and disadvantages (-) in each :
Rent :
+ you can go back any time if you change your mind, don't like the place,
job, people, etc
- you still need to pay your Income Tax ( I'm not sure about this ? )
- to much headache if there is something wrong with the tenant

Sell :
+ no tenant, good bye Income Tax
+ have your money to buy a property in UAE
- no where to go if you're sacked or made redundancy, etc.

Any suggestions/comments ?

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:31 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advise : rent or sell ?

Originally Posted by nusa
Hi,

My concern is just about my property. If I found what I'm looking for,
I doubt whether to rent it or sell it.
Either way, what actions do I need to take and who do I need to tell ?
I suppose, I need to tell the Council, Inland Revenue, or agent ( if I want
to rent it ), etc

Rent :
job, people, etc

Sell :
+ no tenant, good bye Income Tax

Thanks

You should Rent your property in UK and Buy a Property in Dubai! (If you wanna take my advice)

In Thailand a 2bedroom house/apt with no reliable infrastuture or road! with very low quality fiking and next to zero quality of construction And the Cost is over 2Million Aed.

So to Buying in Dubai is the thing to Do before prices go any further up!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 6:01 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Originally Posted by nusa
Hi,

Rent :
job, people, etc
You can apply to Inland Revenue to have your rental income paid to you without deduction of tax, but this obviously means you will need to fill in a tax return each year declaring income from property and you will also have to find other expediture to offset it if you want to avoid paying tax - unless you are offay with the tax rules and regulations an accountant is your best best

Depends on the type of property and whether or not you know the tenants, but of course you can use a management agency but they will take 10-15% of any rental income +VAT of course. Also you have to make sure you have enough of a buffer to continue to pay the mortgage (if you have one) if you do not have any tenants for a month or six!!!

Sell :
+ no tenant, god bye Income Tax

Personally I would not sell your UK property for at least the first year just to make sure that this is the place you really want to be

Thanks
Just my views,hope it helps
Old Feb 18th 2006, 6:21 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Hello

Just my views,hope it helps

I would start my counsultancy firm if i were you..!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:50 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
I would start my counsultancy firm if i were you..!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm new business perhaps - do you know a local sponsor
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:58 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Rent. Once you move overseas, your income tax will be a lot less, because it will only be applied to your rental income (your salary earnings, assuming you stay out of the UK for long enough each year, will be tax-free).
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:41 pm
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

If you can rent at a realistic monthly rate that covers your mortgage, with a bit left over to shove into a savings account as a contingency for any work that needs doing to the property, plus of course a bit more for income tax, then do it.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

nusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nicenusa is just really nice

I think the option to rent for a few years woud be nice.
Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

When self and spouse came out we rented the place we had in the UK, just to make sure we liked Dubai and were going to stay. It gave us a warm fuzzy feeling to know we had something to go back to if we chose. We were also able to borrow against the property in the UK to get the deposit to buy a place in Dubai, which was the only way we could have raised the money. Having said that the property in the UK gave us a worrying few months when it was empty last summer and in the end we had to drop the rent. Now we have to send money home every month just to pay the mortgage. We are considering selling in the spring when the housing market picks up a bit.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

In Thailand a 2bedroom house/apt with no reliable infrastuture or road! with very low quality fiking and next to zero quality of construction And the Cost is over 2Million Aed.
Reminds me of Bombay......close to the slums....................apartments now going at AED 3,000 a sq ft, 3 bhk a little over Aed 5 million.

Love it nevertheless........cause I 'm not staying in one ...........just got one

The only reason they are high in Bbay is because of the scarcity of land. But there is a lot of land here in UAE, plus a lot of ready properties soon hitting the market, so what makes you say they will rise any further

Construction quality is very good in India though, provided built by reputed builders.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:36 pm
W10

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
:

Construction quality is very good in India though, provided built by reputed builders.
Shame it wasn't so good years ago...seems like every time there is heavy rain a building collapses.

Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Shame it wasn't so good years ago...seems like every time there is heavy rain a building collapses.

Hi,

More often than not, the older buildings (30-70 yo) collapse mainly due to non-maintenance by the owner (I don't blame the owner at all, considering that the tenants pay a ridiculous rent of Aed 5 - 10 a month for a prime property...thanks to the stupid rent control act), indiscriminate renovations inside the apartment (like breaking load bearing walls to make a room larger.....), adding more floors when the original foundation could withstand only 2-3 floors). In fact our bulding is about 40 years old, not a single crack on the walls, no leakages.......very solid construction!

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by W10

Dunno about India!

But I was staying in Amari Palm Reef Resort in Koh samoui which is like the Best Hotel in Thailand in Terms of Services and Quality of the Property, My room was dropping water from five different places.

It was only raining 5hrs.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dunno about India!

But I was staying in Amari Palm Reef Resort in Koh samoui which is like the Best Hotel in Thailand in Terms of Services and Quality of the Property, My room was dropping water from five different places.

It was only raining 5hrs.
They probably thought that since you're from Dubai, you'd appreciate a little rain in your room
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:22 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
When self and spouse came out we rented the place we had in the UK, just to make sure we liked Dubai and were going to stay. It gave us a warm fuzzy feeling to know we had something to go back to if we chose. We were also able to borrow against the property in the UK to get the deposit to buy a place in Dubai, which was the only way we could have raised the money. Having said that the property in the UK gave us a worrying few months when it was empty last summer and in the end we had to drop the rent. Now we have to send money home every month just to pay the mortgage. We are considering selling in the spring when the housing market picks up a bit.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say its all very well thinking ok no probs property in uk is rented out - but when its not you become liable for council tax after 6 months, as well as the mortgage payments - so its all worth taking into consideration!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.