Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need advice ASAP on Big 4 Job Offer!

Need advice ASAP on Big 4 Job Offer!

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

EnglishPatient is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice ASAP on Big 4 Job Offer!

I am a Newly Qualified Accountant with a Big 4 firm in London.

My current UK salary is £42,000 p.a.

I have been offered a role within a Big 4 firm in Dubai to work in Audit.

My package is:
Basic 9,350 AED p.m.
Housing 4,100 AED p.m.
Transport 900 AED p.m.
Overtime 1,500 AED p.m. (budgeted overtime - over 50 hours a week)
Total 15,850

$2,000 relocation allowance, 22 days holiday, 1 flight home a year,

I am a single guy looking to have a comfortable bachelor lifestyle in Dubai. Would like to have my own rented studio or 1 bed apartment in JBR or similar, and have a good car of approximate value of 80,000AED. I would also like to save 1500 AED per month.

Is The Salary In Line With The Market Or Should I Be Asking for More?

Many thanks!

Last edited by EnglishPatient; Jun 2nd 2009 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice ASAP on Big 4 Job Offer!

I would say it's to low for what you want. Specially the housing and transport allowance, unless you wanna cut into your regular salary I would say it's not possible to own a 80.000Dhs car with an allowance of 900dhs (that about covers your insurance and gas) and get a 1bed in JBR for 50k.

Plus, your planning on working 10hrs a day + overtime?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:09 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Without studying it too much,,

Forget all the allowances, car, house etc

Your actual salary is pish poor...don't get sucked in..compared to your UK level...
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks EUC,

I will get paid overtime for the number of hours I work over 50 a week. Hence if I work a 60 hour week I will be paid 10 hours overtime.

How flexible are employers in Dubai, especially the professional firms when it comems to negotiations?

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
Without studying it too much,,

Forget all the allowances, car, house etc

Your actual salary is pish poor...don't get sucked in..compared to your UK level...
Thanks Commander,

What should be the minium salary I should be aiming for in your opinion, considering I am qualified professional.

Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

negotiate like a demon. Thats what the middle east is like with jobs.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Another World

So everything in the ME is up for negotiation.

When employers make their first offer they are expecting for it to be raised by at least 20+%?

Need some guidance to judge how far I can push them without losing the offer.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:32 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

All industries are different,

Take your UK salary. Multiply it by 1.4 and convert it to AED.

Remember--they should pay your accom, car, healthcare etc because you are coming out to a thirld world country to make money for the company..
People may disagree with that, but in my opinion, remember that and you'll do ok
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Kpax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EnglishPatient
I am a Newly Qualified Accountant with a Big 4 firm in London.

My current UK salary is £42,000 p.a.

I have been offered a role within a Big 4 firm in Dubai to work in Audit.

My package is:
Basic 9,350 AED p.m.
Housing 4,100 AED p.m.
Transport 900 AED p.m.
Overtime 1,500 AED p.m. (budgeted overtime - over 50 hours a week)
Total 15,850

$2,000 relocation allowance, 22 days holiday, 1 flight home a year,

I am a single guy looking to have a comfortable bachelor lifestyle in Dubai. Would like to have my own rented studio or 1 bed apartment in JBR or similar, and have a good car of approximate value of 80,000AED. I would also like to save 1500 AED per month.

Is The Salary In Line With The Market Or Should I Be Asking for More?

Many thanks!
First off, looks like ur UK package is a better deal to say the least. Its difficult to make an objective assesment without knowing ur condition, lifestyle and aspirations but nevertheless be very careful you might end up living from hand to mouth, without a penny saved, on that sort of salary.
Venturing out in Dubai might sound fun, and it is, but not if it makes no economic sense so haggle for a figure over 20,000 AED and it just might make sense to come out here. Good luck fella
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Kpax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commander
All industries are different,

Take your UK salary. Multiply it by 1.4 and convert it to AED.

Remember--they should pay your accom, car, healthcare etc because you are coming out to a thirld world country to make money for the company..
People may disagree with that, but in my opinion, remember that and you'll do ok
Magical formula... Also nearly true
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I have answered you on the job discussions board! Basically it's a bad deal so stay where you are!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough

Yeah thats a rubbish deal, especially if you are on £40k+ back home. I'd only go for that deal if i was lying in my own piss, covered in someone elses puke and wrapped up in an oxfam blanket under a bridge.

Seriously though, i'd say AED25k+ should give you a reasonable lifestyle and savings although i'd go for more given the hours you're meant to work.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Dulge is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should make your mind up whether you will be sorry to let this go if your company is not willing to negotiate the offer...

It is an offer less than your current package...If you are happy with your life and earnings in the UK, then I think you should negotiate and flexibility to walk away from the deal if they do not improve the package. They will probably expect you to negotiate and tell you there is a financial crisis across the world etc...

If this happens and you remain in the UK, then would you be upset that you did not take up this offer? If not, then ask for more in my opinion.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

If you are newly qualified, stay with the UK firm for a couple of years and get some solid working experience under your belt. For your long term career prospects, you are much better off staying where you are.

After you have maybe 3 years or so of good experience in the UK, you will probable be offered a much better package if you do decide to make the move. Dubai can wait, for now.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
If you are newly qualified, stay with the UK firm for a couple of years and get some solid working experience under your belt. For your long term career prospects, you are much better off staying where you are.

After you have maybe 3 years or so of good experience in the UK, you will probable be offered a much better package if you do decide to make the move. Dubai can wait, for now.
Thanks everyone!

I now plan on negotiating up to at least 20k. If I get a bit less I will have to sacrifice some savings in the short term. I am hungry to move out but don't want to be living hand to mouth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.