British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   National Day in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/national-day-abu-dhabi-692614/)

csdf Nov 7th 2010 12:58 pm

National Day in Abu Dhabi

So we've got some guests coming to stay for a few days, and it turns out that one of those days will be UAE National Day. I've heard that trying to get around on ND is a disaster - is that right? And will tourist attraction things like the Sheikh Zayed Mosque be closed?

busybee2 Nov 7th 2010 2:07 pm

Re: National Day in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8967036)
So we've got some guests coming to stay for a few days, and it turns out that one of those days will be UAE National Day. I've heard that trying to get around on ND is a disaster - is that right? And will tourist attraction things like the Sheikh Zayed Mosque be closed?

just dont go down the corniche........

Bluelionesse Nov 8th 2010 3:07 am

In Al Ain we have a Heritage Village which has activities from 4pm to ??? Funfair, dancing fountains, horsemanship demonstration, concerts, craft fair etc etc. Maybe there is one of these in Abu Dhabi too?

Millhouse Nov 8th 2010 3:42 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8967132)
just dont go down the corniche........

or anywhere 3 roads back from it.

Tillybean Nov 8th 2010 4:06 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8968102)
or anywhere 3 roads back from it.

In fact anything on island. Its a complete gridlock.

csdf Nov 8th 2010 5:19 am

That's what I mean - seeing as we live on island I was wondering whether we should plan to stay at home that day rather than spend it in a traffic jam.

Millhouse Nov 8th 2010 5:22 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8968170)
That's what I mean - seeing as we live on island I was wondering whether we should plan to stay at home that day rather than spend it in a traffic jam.

Last year, we were on the Cornice beach until 3pm and drove home (I have a speeding ticket to prove it). We then went home, parked the car and walked back at about 7ish. From 4pm the place was gridlocked - we left at around midnight and it was still locked solid.

If you haven't seen it before, you cannot imagine how bad it gets. If you are 'just' on Island, I'm sure it doesn't affect you much, but nearer the palace etc it gets bad.

csdf Nov 8th 2010 5:38 am

Yeah - we're on Delma (13th) which is 4/5 blocks from the Corniche.

So it sounds like as long was we do what we want to do in the morning we should be OK. Thanks all!

weescot Nov 8th 2010 6:21 am

You HAVE to go down to the Corniche at night. it has to be seen to be believed....

busybee2 Nov 8th 2010 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8968184)
Yeah - we're on Delma (13th) which is 4/5 blocks from the Corniche.

So it sounds like as long was we do what we want to do in the morning we should be OK. Thanks all!

delma is far enough away

Norm_uk Nov 10th 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Tillybean (Post 8968130)
In fact anything on island. Its a complete gridlock.

Indeed, stay indoors on National Day unless you are going somewhere you can walk too. It's utterly insane - and the fumes from the traffic and revving engines are probably opening mile wide holes in the ozone layer!

N.