British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Is my wife going to find work in Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/my-wife-going-find-work-dubai-274688/)

Eeyore Jan 2nd 2005 6:03 pm

Is my wife going to find work in Dubai?

My prospective employer in Dubai is flying us out there for a few days' "look-see" next week, so that we've got a better idea of what's in store before we finally commit.

My wife is keen that she be able to find something to do with her days, so... in reality, what kind of work is she likely to be able to get? She's currently a PA in local government, but she does not have a degree or any professional qualifications beyond official certification in various Microsoft Office products.

Is there honestly any hope for her finding some kind of "proper" work? And if you reckon it's going to be a problem, what is there to do in Dubai for expat wives who don't actually want to be ladies of leisure?

Norm_uk Jan 3rd 2005 4:35 am

Re: Is my wife going to find work in Dubai?

Originally Posted by GarethR
My prospective employer in Dubai is flying us out there for a few days' "look-see" next week, so that we've got a better idea of what's in store before we finally commit.

My wife is keen that she be able to find something to do with her days, so... in reality, what kind of work is she likely to be able to get? She's currently a PA in local government, but she does not have a degree or any professional qualifications beyond official certification in various Microsoft Office products.

Is there honestly any hope for her finding some kind of "proper" work? And if you reckon it's going to be a problem, what is there to do in Dubai for expat wives who don't actually want to be ladies of leisure?

Hi,

In my experience women tend to be able to find work here faster, especially if they are on their husband's sponsorship - assuming this is the case your wife should be able to find something in the PA field over here without too much trouble. However, the level of professionalism, salary and job satisfaction will very much depend on which company she works for.

If she is not on your sponsorship she might find job hunting a bit of a challenge, especially without higher qualifications - so insist your Visa allows you to sponsor her!

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 3rd 2005 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Hi,

In my experience women tend to be able to find work here faster, especially if they are on their husband's sponsorship - assuming this is the case your wife should be able to find something in the PA field over here without too much trouble. However, the level of professionalism, salary and job satisfaction will very much depend on which company she works for.

If she is not on your sponsorship she might find job hunting a bit of a challenge, especially without higher qualifications - so insist your Visa allows you to sponsor her!

Sound Advice.

Truth Speak Jan 3rd 2005 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Sound Advice.

Alternatively, she could go and do someone elses ironing.......I have a lady that comes round three times a week.....excellent...she even startcheds my shirts..

Heart of gold Jan 3rd 2005 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Alternatively, she could go and do someone elses ironing.......I have a lady that comes round three times a week.....excellent...she even startcheds my shirts..

oh dear, you need to go back to school and learn how to write your English!!! :)

Truth Speak Jan 3rd 2005 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
oh dear, you need to go back to school and learn how to write your English!!! :)

Maybe I does...didn'y gove u the wright ta tuke the poss!!!!!!

Norm_uk Jan 3rd 2005 12:20 pm

Sound Advice.

And it's free....gosh I'm a nice chap. :)

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 3rd 2005 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
And it's free....gosh I'm a nice chap. :)

Sent u Karma....Enjoy

Norm_uk Jan 3rd 2005 3:34 pm

Sent u Karma....Enjoy

Cheers