Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

On my way to Riyadh

On my way to Riyadh

Old May 5th 2010, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Big_Mick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On my way to Riyadh

I have accepted a job in Riyadh and will be travelling across on 16th May. I still have a few niggling questions that I cant seem to get a straight answer to, and cant find it anywhere in these forums.

1. I will be driving with an International Driving Permit and my UK Licence, but im told you can only do this for 3 months max - however i am also told it is unlikely my Iqama will be through in this time and I cant get Saudi licence on my 6 month business visa - any ideas how to get around this ?

2. How strict are they at airport - will i need to clear all my photo's of wife and kids from computer and ipod etc. Are there restrictions on having pop videos on ipod - especially ones with scantily clad women in them ?

3. What is internet connection availability like in Riyadh - is there wireless commonly available - any idea of cost? also cost of using mobile broadband - any advice on best option will be much appreciated.

I will be living on the Romaizan compound in Riyadh - anyone living there or know of it - what is it like? Is there any sort of Ex Pat social life within Riyadh - how do you get involved ?

Sorry about all the questions - its getting a bit daunting now its getting close to me coming over.
Old May 6th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On my way to Riyadh

Welcome to the costa del sand pit.

Your Iqama should be in within the 3 months as it has been said many times before depends on how much clout your GRO has.

You cannot drive in KSA on a business visa,

The compound you are moving into is a good one i do know a couple of people living on there,
It is very much a family compound and a nice cafe with all the trimmings.
Driving here is a night mare and at times down right dangerous.

The best time to get out and about to learn the ways here would be on a friday morning while all the yokels are still in bed.

The expat world here is good it just takes a little time to jump on the party bus.

If i can help just drop me a pm .
Old May 6th 2010, 5:53 am
Banned

lawyeradviceldb is an unknown quantity at this point

good thinking
Old May 6th 2010, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

try and snag a copy of Riyadh Today - lil book full of good info

Romaizon good. Very good resto!!! like being down your local!
Old May 6th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mardy is an unknown quantity at this point

Like a lot of things here Mick, the answers often begins with 'it depends'.

Re:1. I've been here just over a month, I got my iqama in 8 days and my driving licence in 20 minutes. That's not 'normal'.

Re:2. I was paranoid about what I packed but was waved through the customes scanner without even opening a bag. One thing nobody had warned me about was that on first entry to take up a job they fingerprint you.

Re:3. Wireless broadband is fiercely competitive here, so prices for 3g dongles & service are pretty good. One thing you MUST do is set up a UK based VPN before you come, so that you can decide what you do one the web (eg watch BBC iPlayer), not Somebody Else.

HTH.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:57 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
You cannot drive in KSA on a business visa
There is no law that says you cannot rent a car and drive it with an international driving permit while in KSA on a business visa (driving a privately owned car might be a different matter however), but it is true there is a 'notional' 3 month limit you can do it.

To be honest it shouldn't be a problem anyway. I drove for longer than 3 months and was never stopped in the road blocks and never had any accidents so didn't get caught.

If you do get caught be prepared to spend 24 hours in jail though. As far as I know the fine is laughable and if your company pro is any good you'll even get out before the 24 hours are up...
Old May 7th 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

My husband got a driver from the company, which is in any case a good idea. This way you quickly learn your way around and get used to the way of driving here.
About stuff on your laptop. Ours, my husbands and the laptops from our kiddos, have been checked upon entry. They plug an USB stick in, download everything from your harddrive, which takes about 10 seconds. That way they have all the time in the world to check it. If you have anything 'forbidden' on it, you will learn latest next time you try to leave or reenter the country.
We had cleared our laptops from anything we thought, that might be 'provocative' (like South Park )
But family pictures should be fine.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:04 pm
Sand pit since May 2010

Geo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Romaizan a couple of times. Good compound.

Did you take the job?

Last edited by Geo79; May 18th 2010 at 7:10 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:43 am
Just Joined

mushroomheadd is an unknown quantity at this point

Its an absolute sh**hole - and a dangerous place to be...

Aside from that - and the sickness of the culture there, you can get the same money or more for working in Abu Dhabi or Doha - hold out for something there...

Would not let my Wife or Kids back in there.

Anyone doubting should look up events at compounds in Dammam, or Al Hamra...
Old May 19th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mushroomheadd
Anyone doubting should look up events at compounds in Dammam, or Al Hamra...
or watch that film with Jamie Foxx and that Jenifer bird with sticky out ears
Old May 19th 2010, 11:58 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
or watch that film with Jamie Foxx and that Jenifer bird with sticky out ears
That would be The Kingdom
Old May 19th 2010, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

mushroomheadd is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to always enjoy meeting New Arrivals in Riyadh - the smart ones arrived at the compound around 9.00pm, and took the lunch-time flight home the next day...

Of course, if you are a fillipinno father with a family o.s. you are not quite so flexible income-wise, and so just have to put up with constant sexual harassement from local males pulling up in their GMCs - and thats not even taking into account the women - or the poor domestic maids...