Reload this Page >

On my way to Qatar with a few questions

On my way to Qatar with a few questions

Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

schulz is on a distinguished road
Default On my way to Qatar with a few questions

Hello everyone,
Well its been in an interesting process but I am all set for Doha. I should be arriving this January and I had a few questions.
This is my 3rd expat contract in the middle east (previous was UAE and KSA) However, this time I have a wife (no kids)

1. I herd the wife is allowed to work under my visa with my permission. If so, where would you recommend she look for a job as a westerner? She speaks Danish and English. The job is really just to give her something to do so shes not so board while we are there.

2. Anything even close to what you might consider a "dive bar" or dark smokey pub?

3. Any tips on looking for apartments in decent areas of town? What is the best way to do this(a specific website, in person, a broker or agent, ect)

4. I herd driving is pretty insane, I was considering just living central and taking taxi's, good idea or bad idea? (I work at Hamads main facility)

Thanks everyone
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On my way to Qatar with a few questions

Originally Posted by schulz
Hello everyone,
Well its been in an interesting process but I am all set for Doha. I should be arriving this January and I had a few questions.
This is my 3rd expat contract in the middle east (previous was UAE and KSA) However, this time I have a wife (no kids)

1. I herd the wife is allowed to work under my visa with my permission. If so, where would you recommend she look for a job as a westerner? She speaks Danish and English. The job is really just to give her something to do so shes not so board while we are there.

2. Anything even close to what you might consider a "dive bar" or dark smokey pub?

3. Any tips on looking for apartments in decent areas of town? What is the best way to do this(a specific website, in person, a broker or agent, ect)

4. I herd driving is pretty insane, I was considering just living central and taking taxi's, good idea or bad idea? (I work at Hamads main facility)

Thanks everyone
Are you taking the piss? If you're not, you ain't likely to get a visa with that level of stupidity, and Qatar is pretty forgivving.......
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

schulz is on a distinguished road

What came across as stupid...?
Job ideas for the wife?
Tips on a particular type of bar?
Driving cost and risk?
Are these not reasonable questions to ask?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

What came across as stupid...?
Job ideas for the wife?
Tips on a particular type of bar?
Driving cost and risk?
Are these not reasonable questions to ask?
!- jobs for your wife- the type you are looking for are generally word-of-mouth jobs. Don't run before you can run, eh?
2-Bars- you'll find the type of bar that suits you when you arrive. Don't be presumptious, or you'll get a bad reputation. Doha is small, and small minded. Caution advised.
3- You'll find Doha slow. The diving and driving will be as you are accepted.
4- Never presume you know Doha- Doha will find you. Over ambition will get you nowhere except the Exit terminal

Other than that... Good luck!
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:56 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Plenty of Jobs here but as mentioned a lot are word of mouth or local papers

Plenty of them. Irish Harp, Rugby club

Again you do this when you get here. Agents are all twats, websites shite etc

If you lived in 1466 the driving here is far better. Far easier to have a car to get out at the weekend, go to the one booze shop etc

Thanks everyone
Good Luck