Reload this Page >

On my way to KSA ...

On my way to KSA ...

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 7:59 pm
The Cheshires

Tallula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On my way to KSA ...

... soon !
I'm not the most patient person in the world and when i decide to do something i like it to happen asap. I have certainly had my personality traits tested in the last 3 or 4 months - the key being things will all happen, the process does work, find people who know the process and get to love facetime. My husband has been in Riyadh since May 19th - 6 weeks in a hotel but has now moved into our home in Al Nakhla (living the life ) while I'm still in the UK. The Saudi's have been true to their word almost to the day in terms of paperwork and getting through the process ... but they love a process. I have an amazing agent in London who has handled all the UK side of our paperwork - if thinking about KSA - find a great agent ! My husband has now been issued his Iqama - we have been working through and preparing my paperwork simultaneously (this I also recommend where possible - marriage cert attestation, police cert etc)
The distance and time apart has been horrific - I could not hate it more - but Facetime, trips to Jordan and Egypt have broken up the time. But being in the UK alone with all the removal plans, dog exports, house rental, dealing with emotional parents who think Im off to become a Bedouin has been rubbish, but with 2 dogs leaving tomorrow, removals planned for Monday, 2 further dogs after second Eid (thats another thing to consider timing wise) with me on a flight the same day (fingers crossed 22nd August) it's not been boring. By all accounts Stuart is having a brilliant time - loves the life so far but definitely looking forward to having the family out so we can all start exploring the country.
Things also to be aware of ... non-saudis cannot own a commercial vehicle - there goes the Dodge RAM idea and also families of less than 5 people cannot own a car with more than 7 seats - so no Grand Cherokee etc ... damn I might have to settle for the Jeep Wrangler
Everyday is a school day ...
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On my way to KSA ...

You will struggle to get a KSA licence, every element of life is segregated by sex in Saudi. Initially expat women were allowed to take Saudi driving tests but due to the number of applications and limited number of female instructors available that soon stopped and priority was given to Saudi nationals. My best advise is apply now and get on the waiting list.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

...or get a driver.

Have fun. Riyadh is strangely alluring. Some great ex-pat circles there.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:16 pm
The Cheshires

Thanks
Options ! I'm hoping to get out and about as much as possible (with husband) and integrate where possible - luckily he works for a Saudi 'company' that's part of the Ministry of Finance and has made some good expat (from other different countries) and Saudi friends.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 1:17 pm
The Cheshires

I'm in no rush for a license just yet - just getting my dogs and life out there has been long winded ... and the driving standards sound horrific if not entertaining lol
Old Jul 24th 2019, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tallula
I'm in no rush for a license just yet - just getting my dogs and life out there has been long winded ... and the driving standards sound horrific if not entertaining lol
Driving in Riyadh is entertaining if your a banger racing fan. The last stat I heard was 11 people die a day in road traffic accidents on Riyadh roads. My eldest boy (16 at the time) asked if he could drive in KSA my youngest 8 relied Tom I could drive in KSA. He was only half joking you see boys that young driving all the time they learn on the Play Station. I don't even think they are the worst of the road users.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 3:44 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flares
...or get a driver.

Have fun. Riyadh is strangely alluring. Some great ex-pat circles there.
I would move back in a flash if I had the option.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:12 pm
The Cheshires

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I would move back in a flash if I had the option.
That's great to hear !
Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:16 pm
The Cheshires

Originally Posted by HiHo
You will struggle to get a KSA licence, every element of life is segregated by sex in Saudi. Initially expat women were allowed to take Saudi driving tests but due to the number of applications and limited number of female instructors available that soon stopped and priority was given to Saudi nationals. My best advise is apply now and get on the waiting list.
My husband went for his licence today .. he had a medical (eye test and blood test), took his British Licence and Iqama... no practical test ... took a number and waited in the queue to present paperwork and he picks his Saudi licence up tomorrow. Theres' a reciprocal agreement between Britain and KSA in terms of driving license so hopefully it's the same for me when i get my Iqama in several months
Old Jul 24th 2019, 8:51 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tallula
That's great to hear !
If you knew Qassim you'd understand why Riyadh is so appealing.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
If you knew Qassim you'd understand why Riyadh is so appealing.
Qassim is the Taliban's version of Brighton but the tide is out a bloody long way out. What on earth are you doing in Qassim?
Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by HiHo
Qassim is the Taliban's version of Brighton but the tide is out a bloody long way out. What on earth are you doing in Qassim?
Not everyone lives in Riyadh , Jeddah, or Khobar.