Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

My UAE bank legal dept experience

My UAE bank legal dept experience

Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default My UAE bank legal dept experience

So the bank I have my so far unpaid loan with has contacted me. They are sneaky and act quite disgustingly. The banks in the UAE employ debt collector-like tactics when trying to contact you.

First of all I had a voice mail left on my new mobile number saying "I am calling from Dubai and we wouldliene to offer you a job. I'm from a recruitment agency." I also had a friend request and mail message on facebook from a "hot" blonde asking me if I'm still in Dubai. Second call received and when I answered the guy said he's from the banks legal department and I need to pay my loan. Wanted 10k dhs by today and I'd "still be welcome in Dubai and wouldn't have a police case."

found out he'd got my new number from a relative who I put down as an Australian contact when I applied for the loan. Told this person he needed my number as he was offering me a job in Dubai.

Another friend in abu dhabi gets weekly calls from the bank with them screaming and swearing at her down the phone, threatening her with arrest and immigration block if she doesn't pay the minimum payment by midnight. Most Saturdays she switches her phone off and has gotten a new number.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My UAE bank legal dept experience

They really aren't supposed to do that.

I'd be interested to know which bank as I am currently dealing with something not dissimilar for a reader.

-
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Everywhere is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds terrible!!! Sorry to hear that.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future

Well, pay your effing loans off so that you wouldnt have bankers chasing you. You borrowed money, you pay it back, thats how it works. You dont just borrow money and walk away as if its a charity handout.

Its people like you who caused this whole effing economy to go pear-shaped. If you knew you wouldnt be able to pay back the amount, why did you borrow money in the first place?

Anyway, I am cool not having ago at you, just wanting people to see things from another angle and not always feel sympathy for the borrower.

Take care and good luck,

Inv.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Investoman_uae
Well, pay your effing loans off so that you wouldnt have bankers chasing you. You borrowed money, you pay it back, thats how it works. You dont just borrow money and walk away as if its a charity handout.

Its people like you who caused this whole effing economy to go pear-shaped. If you knew you wouldnt be able to pay back the amount, why did you borrow money in the first place?

Anyway, I am cool not having ago at you, just wanting people to see things from another angle and not always feel sympathy for the borrower.

Take care and good luck,

Inv.
I understand and Im not being personal when I say go **** your mother.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Take care and good luck,

Inv.
I'm going with AW on this one. Your a dick.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Take care and good luck,

Inv.
How do you know he knew? And this question could be asked like if the bank knew... why they still let money out in the first place?

I do agree with you that the bank needs to chase their money back, but they just need to use the right way.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future

Ok we got a few hot heads here,.....

My point is.... you borrow money, you are expected to pay it back.

The banks go about it the wrong way I agree... but what is the right way? They may write to you, (you ignore), .. call you (you ignore),... what more can they do? Email you. . .you will also ignore that.... then they have to literally use whatever they can use.. within the limits of the law of course.

But I hate it when people complain about bank treatment when they dont treat the bank back with respect. You owe someone money, you give it back.... its as simple as that.

I owe alot of money to different companies .. ... so am working hard to give it back in small chuncks... such is life.

Dont btch when someone asks for their money back.

Inv.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Youre still a dick.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
I understand and Im not being personal when I say go **** your mother.
How uncivilised,...

Cant you tollerate a different opinion to yours? Or did you expect everyone to show you sympathy?

We all got shitty loan problems... but you have not said whether you paid them any money or you are in the process of paying them.

If you are avoiding the banks cos you want to avoid paying back your debts... then thats wrong... and if they was a proper law, they would treat you like they treat you back home. .. . reposesssion, taking your belongings,... etc.

I aint saying banks in UAE are angelic... but its THEIR money,... you borrowed it, you give it back. I cannot continue to stress this any clearer.

Inv.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Youre still a dick.
Whatever,... you just cant take an opinion differnet to yours. Read what I wrote above....

The only way I would apologise for my opinion is that if you have or are in the process of paying back your money and they still treated you the way they did.

Otherwise, if you are avoiding the bank.... yuo deserve what you get.

Inv.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Youre still a dick.
sorry, i cant continue. i don't like to see this way to talk to others.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Ok we got a few hot heads here,.....

My point is.... you borrow money, you are expected to pay it back.

The banks go about it the wrong way I agree... but what is the right way? They may write to you, (you ignore), .. call you (you ignore),... what more can they do? Email you. . .you will also ignore that.... then they have to literally use whatever they can use.. within the limits of the law of course.

But I hate it when people complain about bank treatment when they dont treat the bank back with respect. You owe someone money, you give it back.... its as simple as that.

I owe alot of money to different companies .. ... so am working hard to give it back in small chuncks... such is life.

Dont btch when someone asks for their money back.

Inv.
So you really don't understand why AW is in Australia now instead of looking for a job in the UAE?

You would have suggested that when he was made redundant he should have stayed in the country, looking for a job (probably to no avail), default on his loan as he does not have an income, trying to negotiate with stupid banks who could've saved themselves a lot of trouble if they had negotiated in the first place instead of filing claims against persons for a bounced cheque and ultimately end up in jail?

Yeah, we'll see how fast your on a plane when shit hits the fan for you.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Euc-
So you really don't understand why AW is in Australia now instead of looking for a job in the UAE?

You would have suggested that when he was made redundant he should have stayed in the country, looking for a job (probably to no avail), default on his loan as he does not have an income, stupid banks who could've saved themselves a lot of trouble if they had negotiated in the first place instead of filing claims against persons for a bounced cheque and ultimately end up in jail?

Yeah, we'll see when shit hits the fan for you.
Shit did hit the fan for me,... and am workin my ass off to pay back whoever I own money to. The thing is,.. I never borrow more than I can pay back. And I never turn my back and run away.

People just need to plan for the worse, and see ahead,.. and not dig themselves a hole. . because once you borrow money, you've started digging.

But I have a question for you.... is it fair for the banks that people borrow money, and then run away? Despite the circumstances... is it fair on the banks? Does he/she have a duty to pay back the money, yes or no.

Inv.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shit did hit the fan for me,... and am workin my ass off to pay back whoever I own money to. The thing is,.. I never borrow more than I can pay back. And I never turn my back and run away.

People just need to plan for the worse, and see ahead,.. and not dig themselves a hole. . because once you borrow money, you've started digging.

But I have a question for you.... is it fair for the banks that people borrow money, and then run away? Despite the circumstances... is it fair on the banks? Does he/she have a duty to pay back the money, yes or no.

Inv.
You are right about one thing, when you borrow money you need to pay it back, one way or the other. The thing is, I don't see AW mentioning that he isn't planning on paying back, probably just not right now. In a normal country you could go to your bank, explain your situation and set up a new payment scheme, here you go to jail.

Not borrowing more money then you can afford. Who says he couldn't afford the amount he was borrowing? For all we know it was money to pay for his rent up front, which he would get back every month from his employer. If he hadn't lost his job he could've easily afforded it. Its not like anyone had seen this crisis coming, and people on an unlimited contract had no reason to be afraid of losing their job in the future due to economic reasons.

Besides, not borrowing more than you can afford is bs anyway, as if you need to borrow money for something technically you cannot afford it at the time of borrowing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.