Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

My Holiday Is Booked!!

My Holiday Is Booked!!

Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

WaqasKhawaja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Holiday Is Booked!!

I'll be in the UAE form the 28th to the 1st Sept.

Come on guys give me an incite to what i can get upto to see what it is like to live in this part of the world....any tips on where to go and what to do would be good.

I know its going to be roasting hot and ive already bought some sun screen.

Is there any sort of Expat meet-up that happens??

I know im only coming for a a few days but need to get up all sorts!! lol go mad!! lol
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderbirds Are Go is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Holiday Is Booked!!

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja

Come on guys give me an incite to what i can get upto to see what it is like to live in this part of the world....any tips on where to go and what to do would be good.

I know im only coming for a a few days but need to get up all sorts!! lol go mad!! lol
Try the Rub Al Khali Desert near Saudi...I hear it is swell there!!

Failing that buy a TimeOut Dubai Magazine when you land, it should give ypu plenty of inspiration!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:01 am
Just Joined

kaiser2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree
time out dubai mag will help you a lot
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:09 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

A few days? Presumably you are coming on 28th August then?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Since it will be Ramadan things will be a bit restricted during the day.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

where will you be staying?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
where will you be staying?
Le Maridian Hotel in Abu Dhabi. Aparently it is suppsoe to be nice there. its on the beach so that all th misses wants.

Originally Posted by soukie
Since it will be Ramadan things will be a bit restricted during the day.
I know there will be no serving of alcohol, what about food? is that still surved during the day?

Originally Posted by Shadya
A few days? Presumably you are coming on 28th August then?
sorry, yes your calculations is correct. i will land on the morning of 28th Aug. and leaving on the 1st

Buy a TimeOut Dubai Magazine when you land, it should give you plenty of inspiration!
Thanks will do.

So dont you guys meet up? I mean what do you guys do at weekends?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

there must be two Meridiens in AD, the one I stayed at wasn't on the beach. Food is served in a dedicated restaurant in hotels in Dubai but not sure about AD, they are stricter than Dubai during Ramadan though. Enjoy
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

there must be two Meridiens in AD, the one I stayed at wasn't on the beach. Food is served in a dedicated restaurant in hotels in Dubai but not sure about AD, they are stricter than Dubai during Ramadan though. Enjoy
Le Meridien Abu Dhabi i know is on the beach....well i hope it is!!

Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 Meridiens in AD - one is the Royal Meridien (old Forte Grand) which is near the Ally Pally and the other is called Le Meridien and it's in the Tourist Club area and this is the one with the beach. Not sure about restaurant service in the hotels - I know you can be served food in your room though so you won't starve! Alcohol is now available after Iftar which is a big change for AD as there used to be a total ban on alcohol throughout Ramadan.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

come on guys.....

so what do you guys do in the evenings? as no one has some anything....do you just stay indoors? or go out swimming in the sea?

That brings me to my next question...Sunbathing and swimming....as it is Ramadan, what's the scene with wearing bikinis and stuff (not me, my wife) I Know it will be a no go in Ramadan. But what about outside this time?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:58 pm
Concierge

come on guys.....

so what do you guys do in the evenings? as no one has some anything....do you just stay indoors? or go out swimming in the sea?

That brings me to my next question...Sunbathing and swimming....as it is Ramadan, what's the scene with wearing bikinis and stuff (not me, my wife) I Know it will be a no go in Ramadan. But what about outside this time?
course you can sunbathe during Ramadan! Dubai would be in a right mess if they banned sunabathing for a month
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as you're in a contained resort, the Ramadan thing won't be too bad. No public consumption of food or drinks (including water) during the day is the law, but people get around it. Just don't go cauterwalking up and down the AD corniche with MickyD's finest during daylight hours.

Ain't much to do in AD, to be honest. Dubai is where the AD folks go for shopping and booze. Madinat Jumeriah is decently fun. If you want something quasi-historic (what passes for history out here), then check out the Dubai Museum in Bur Dubai and the gold souk and the creekfront souqs.

come on guys.....

Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

Qas,

Whats up yaar. Listen there is no massive expat meetup. Abu Dhabi is way more boring than Dubai. Depends on your age I guess, you sound like an under 30 asian guy. I moved out to Abu Dhabi 6 weeks ago from London and I got bored within the first week. Dubai rocks on the other hand, always something to do somwhere to go etc.

By all means check out Abu Dhabi - but its strict and during ramadhan aint gonna be jack going on during the day!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ethos & Zico,
Thanks guys, this is very useful info. its the type of info im after.

Looks like i will be hitting Duabi alot then
Really looking forward to coming.

So is it easy to drive there ? as im thinking of hiring a car while im there. Or is it easier to get a taxi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.