Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

My disappointing experience!

My disappointing experience!

Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Adan has a spectacular aura aboutAdan has a spectacular aura aboutAdan has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy My disappointing experience!

Hello,

I just wanted to share with you a really dissapointing episode I recently had.

I live in Europe and work in a very high-tech field. I have been trying to find a job in Dubai for about a year now. Based on the feedback I've read, I understood that it would not be an easy task to say the least. And it certainly hasn't. Knowing that this is the rule rather than the exception stopped from feeling defeated and from taking the whole thing personally. That's usually the number one enemy of a job seeker.

Recently I found an advertisement for a position in Dubai in a well known European company in a field that I particularly like. I immediately applied for it. I think it's relevant to add at this point that I have dual citizenship, one Western and the other Middle Eastern (Arabic speaking Mediterranean country).

Well, a few weeks after I get a call from the hiring manager. Coincidently he's also from the same Mediterranean country, in fact from the same city. This is when things took a very bad turn. He, a high-ranking regional manager, was one of the most unprofessional people I have ever encountered. His attitude towards me was one of disrespect. He managed to criticize almost everything he found in my CV. He basically went out of his way to belittle me as much as he can and devalue my education and experience.

The sad thing is that my parents warned from the get go that I will encounter such looser characters who, instead of embracing me for being one of their countrymen, would resent me and treat me with disrespect. I fought with my parents on many occasions over this idea. I insisted that in order for us the Arabs to be successful and earn the well deserved respect of the world, we must first respect one another. We must hold each other in high regard and support one another.

I am certain that if I was non-Arabic speaking this "manager", and I use that term loosely, would have been much more respectful with me. I understand that when one is among his countrymen he is more relaxed and informal, but this dude was unprofessional and downright offensive.

I'm really sad that my parents were right. The scary thing is that I don't think this is an isolated incident. I think this is the general feeling among many Arabs, that they feel inferior and less than. As soon as they meet one of their own they project all their negative feelings about themselves onto this person. Yet they are the most charming and polite with Westerners. I felt so stupid talking to this guy on the phone in a professional way while he wasn't sparing any cheap shots. While I expressed what a dream it would be to live/work in Dubai and speak Arabic much more often and especially in a business context he was busy looking for something to criticize.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone and for my generalization, but this is how I feel. I would love to be proven wrong, but so far I haven't. I am very proud of being an Arab but haven't met many who value themselves and others in that respect. Just a week before I had the displeasure of speaking to this failure of a man I went for a job interview with three European managers at another company. Well, the difference in behavior was overwhelming and obvious. They were professional and organized and praised my accomplishments.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys in the hopes that it would make me feel better. The whole thing left such a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for listening (well in this case, reading).

Regards

Adan
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My disappointing experience!

Just a thought, but do you have that your a dual citizen in your CV?
Might not be worth it to have it on...that way they can only value your accomplishments rather than what they think of the national..
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:54 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Adan
Hello,

I live in Europe and work in a very high-tech field. I have been trying to find a job in Dubai for about a year now. Based on the feedback I've read, I understood that it would not be an easy task to say the least. And it certainly hasn't. Knowing that this is the rule rather than the exception stopped from feeling defeated and from taking the whole thing personally. That's usually the number one enemy of a job seeker.

Recently I found an advertisement for a position in Dubai in a well known European company in a field that I particularly like. I immediately applied for it. I think it's relevant to add at this point that I have dual citizenship, one Western and the other Middle Eastern (Arabic speaking Mediterranean country).

Well, a few weeks after I get a call from the hiring manager. Coincidently he's also from the same Mediterranean country, in fact from the same city. This is when things took a very bad turn. He, a high-ranking regional manager, was one of the most unprofessional people I have ever encountered. His attitude towards me was one of disrespect. He managed to criticize almost everything he found in my CV. He basically went out of his way to belittle me as much as he can and devalue my education and experience.

The sad thing is that my parents warned from the get go that I will encounter such looser characters who, instead of embracing me for being one of their countrymen, would resent me and treat me with disrespect. I fought with my parents on many occasions over this idea. I insisted that in order for us the Arabs to be successful and earn the well deserved respect of the world, we must first respect one another. We must hold each other in high regard and support one another.

I am certain that if I was non-Arabic speaking this "manager", and I use that term loosely, would have been much more respectful with me. I understand that when one is among his countrymen he is more relaxed and informal, but this dude was unprofessional and downright offensive.

I'm really sad that my parents were right. The scary thing is that I don't think this is an isolated incident. I think this is the general feeling among many Arabs, that they feel inferior and less than. As soon as they meet one of their own they project all their negative feelings about themselves onto this person. Yet they are the most charming and polite with Westerners. I felt so stupid talking to this guy on the phone in a professional way while he wasn't sparing any cheap shots. While I expressed what a dream it would be to live/work in Dubai and speak Arabic much more often and especially in a business context he was busy looking for something to criticize.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone and for my generalization, but this is how I feel. I would love to be proven wrong, but so far I haven't. I am very proud of being an Arab but haven't met many who value themselves and others in that respect. Just a week before I had the displeasure of speaking to this failure of a man I went for a job interview with three European managers at another company. Well, the difference in behavior was overwhelming and obvious. They were professional and organized and praised my accomplishments.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys in the hopes that it would make me feel better. The whole thing left such a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for listening (well in this case, reading).

Regards

Adan
sounds to me that the guy may have been threatened by your resume ( like jealousy or envy) and made himself feel better by giving you the negative responses. There's nothing wrong with you or your CV as the following interviews have concluded. So I would say that you were unfortunate to come across an asshole and don't take it to heart.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:14 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Regards

Adan
Dont let one silly little man put u down.

There are loads of idiots out there, but u have to just move on and hope for the best in the future.

Good luck with your future pursuits. I am sure u will find something soon and it'll be in dubai!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Think of it as a lucky escape Adan. If he was like that during the interview, imagine how awful it would be to work for him. :scared:

What's for you won't go past you, as they say. Keeping looking and you'll get something better. And as you move onwards & upwards, that creep will still be sitting in his own puddle of negativity!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Adan has a spectacular aura aboutAdan has a spectacular aura aboutAdan has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bob
Just a thought, but do you have that your a dual citizen in your CV?
Might not be worth it to have it on...that way they can only value your accomplishments rather than what they think of the national..
Good question Bob! Initially I had only put my Western nationality. But during our conversation my other nationality came out and he was really shocked that I had not put it in the first place. How patriotic of him I think he regretted how pleasant he was before realizing where I was from, which is the SAME place as him
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by samireh
sounds to me that the guy may have been threatened by your resume ( like jealousy or envy) and made himself feel better by giving you the negative responses. There's nothing wrong with you or your CV as the following interviews have concluded. So I would say that you were unfortunate to come across an asshole and don't take it to heart.
Hi Samireh. Funny that you say that because my mother said the same thing. It's so stupid that just because this looser was maybe jealous/envious I will miss out on a great opportunity in a great company in a wow location. You know, despite the many put downs he still wanted to meet me As he so professionaly put it "to see if you make a big impression on me". I didn't go!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Face81
Dont let one silly little man put u down.

There are loads of idiots out there, but u have to just move on and hope for the best in the future.

Good luck with your future pursuits. I am sure u will find something soon and it'll be in dubai!
Hi Face .......I know there are many morons out there. Under normal circumstances I would've just told him off and not cared much. But considering how long the road has been and how frustrating it is to find something suitable in Dubai.....my disappointment in his behaviour was huge.

You know, I am sure (almost) I will eventually find what I'm looking for in Dubai. Then I will pay a little visit to this "manager" to tell him what I really think of him
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
Think of it as a lucky escape Adan. If he was like that during the interview, imagine how awful it would be to work for him. :scared:

What's for you won't go past you, as they say. Keeping looking and you'll get something better. And as you move onwards & upwards, that creep will still be sitting in his own puddle of negativity!
You're right! That's why I didn't go to the interview because I didn't see the point. Even if I did get the job I would never get along with such a character and then my professional life would become hell :scared:

I like your expression:what's for you won't go past you! Thanks....cheered me up
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:28 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Adan dont worry maybe it wasnt meant to be. Some things turn out the way we dont want them to for a reason. U will prob thank your lucky stars later on when u would have found yr ideal job wt the ideal boss.

Good Luck!!

Sent some Karma for more luck
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Hello,

Regards

Adan

Don't let it get to you Adan, there are idiots everywhere you go, it is better it didn't work out in the end as you wouldn't want to work with such people Sent you some 'cheerup' karma, and I hope you find what you are looking for
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:17 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Face .......I know there are many morons out there. Under normal circumstances I would've just told him off and not cared much. But considering how long the road has been and how frustrating it is to find something suitable in Dubai.....my disappointment in his behaviour was huge.

You know, I am sure (almost) I will eventually find what I'm looking for in Dubai. Then I will pay a little visit to this "manager" to tell him what I really think of him
good luck mate and remember to threaten him with a law suit. Tell him that he will be hearing fro your lawyers very soon and the charge would be discrimination on the grounds of nationality.

That ought to go down quite well.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:46 am
Just Joined

SAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud ofSAMY_B has much to be proud of

Hello Adan,

I am in the same situation : double citizen Arabic/Westerner, my first name/last name is a pure Arabic one. I don't feel that my double citizenship was an handicap during my job search.
My search is well advanced. As I am moving for 2 weeks to UAE, I have to face many interviews with Westerners and/or Arabics. First contact I had thru email/phone was positive and I am expecting to get more result there.

Sure you had a bad experience with this guy, but don't stop there. I believe that you had to face such situation (with your compatriots or others). Each knock you have will make you more robust, and you have to 'enjoy' this experience for next.

Good luck for your searchs, if you are persistent, I am sure that you will give us good news soon.

Samy

Hello,

Regards

Adan
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Malteser
Adan dont worry maybe it wasnt meant to be. Some things turn out the way we dont want them to for a reason. U will prob thank your lucky stars later on when u would have found yr ideal job wt the ideal boss.

Good Luck!!

Sent some Karma for more luck

Thanks for the K Malteser and for the advice.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Don't let it get to you Adan, there are idiots everywhere you go, it is better it didn't work out in the end as you wouldn't want to work with such people Sent you some 'cheerup' karma, and I hope you find what you are looking for
Thanks DubaiExpat........I hope I find what I'm looking for too. It would be such an enriching experience for me:have a good career AND live in the Middle East. Great combination!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.