Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

My 10-days visit to Doha

My 10-days visit to Doha

Old May 30th 2013, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Haron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My 10-days visit to Doha

I came from Doha a few days back, where I had a visit for 10 days. I’d like to share my experience and my perception of the country and people. Although it is a short visit, but it gave me a feeling of the country in general and what is going on.
1-Weather
It is May and not the peak summer, yet, the temperature reach 47 degrees C at 11:00 in the morning. I arrived at the airport at 8:00 am and it felt like mid-day in the hottest summer I have ever experience. Walking in the street is not possible during the day (maybe early in the morning?). You hardly see anyone walking during the day, perhaps a few workers?
It is difficult to imagine how hot it is. You can put your oven at 200 degrees C for 15 minutes or so, stand 50 centimetres away with the oven door open. This is how you feel walking in Doha. From Air, you will see nothing but a desert with hot air and no green at all. Forget about any outdoor activity, at least this time of the year. I am not sure about winter time, but I don’t think it will be less than 30 degrees C.
2-Traffic
The second thing which surprised me is the traffic, although it is not as bad as in KSA, as I learned. People change lanes carelessly without indication at all. They go from left to right and from right to left like in formula 1. The pedestrian white crossing is a joke. Don’t dream any driver will stop to give way to pedestrian and you need to wait until the road is empty to cross the white lines. Traffic lights are bad and before you finish half way (walking) the colour turns red. Design of roads is bad. To turn left there is no way but to continue driving until the next traffic light and making a U-turn. Roundabouts are very dangerous as it is a total mess. Drivers cut from the internal of roundabout and exit in front of traffic in the outer lane. You need a good 4X4 car to drive there, which is around 100k QAR.
3-Food and clothes
It is very expensive compared to most European countries. The quality is generally poor, especially clothes, and I would rather fly back to EU to buy clothes. Most of goods are Indian/Chinese. Vegetables and fruits are of poor quality and fish prices are up to sky. For a family, one needs at least 10k QAR per month for food (without eating out). Eating out is so expensive and you need at least 100 QAR for a meal.
4-Work
All what is going on in Doha is just preparation for 2022 World Cup. So the country brought many expertise from outside to work on projects related to World Cup, but forgetting to have enough schools for expats kids, or good infrastructure to accommodate the fast increase in population in Doha. As a result, many people with kids turned off Doha as they can’t find places in schools for their kids. It is good for single people with no kids so they can go there for a few years, get some cash and fly away.

5-Visa
You can get a tourist visa in the airport for one month. It costs 120 QAR, and you can extend it for up to 6 months as I understand. The work visa can be done easily by the employer and then the RP can be obtained easily.
To exchange money or to buy a SIM card they require a copy of your passport!

6-Conclusion
Doha is a good place for a single or a couple with no kids, with plans to stay for a few years only to make money. You will not advance your career. Lifestyle is bad, with no outdoor activity. You need to get a good package with accommodation, car, flight, schools fee covered, otherwise it does not worth the hardship of life there.

Last edited by Haron; May 30th 2013 at 4:14 am.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:20 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 10-days visit to Doha

Did you find any downsides?
Old May 30th 2013, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Downsides? no downsides at all.
Old May 30th 2013, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Old May 30th 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

Heehee this really made me smile....10,000 QAR per month for the food shop? What on earth did you eat to cost that much?
I disagree with most you have said and it really is no hardship living here....also can I ask please as I was here in May-is your thermometer wrong as it never reached 47 at 11am at all.
Sounds like you really enjoyed being here.
I love it here
Old May 30th 2013, 11:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

"It is difficult to imagine how hot it is"

It's only the end of May. Wait until the middle of summer.
Old May 30th 2013, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Kamaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone delete this post before my Mrs reads it?

10,000/month for food?
Old May 30th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Crewegirl
I was here in May-is your thermometer wrong as it never reached 47 at 11am at all.
Sounds like you really enjoyed being here.
I love it here
This was shown in the car AC screen.
Old May 30th 2013, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Heehee this really made me smile....10,000 QAR per month for the food shop? What on earth did you eat to cost that much?
I disagree with most you have said and it really is no hardship living
I said for a family not for a single person! A family with 2 adults and 2 kids.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Haron
You obviously have very expensive taste because I don't know of any family of 4 who spends that much on a food shop for the month.
Old May 31st 2013, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Downsides? no downsides at all.
Downside - used by Qataris as a winter retreat. Another month they will all be in Europe/US .
Old May 31st 2013, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

You obviously have very expensive taste because I don't know of any family of 4 who spends that much on a food shop for the month.
My wife spends more than that per month for the two of us !
Old May 31st 2013, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Well, obviously it varies from one to another, but for myself and my family I believe 10k QAR will be the monthly minimum for food.
Old May 31st 2013, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, obviously it varies from one to another, but for myself and my family I believe 10k QAR will be the monthly minimum for food.
Throw in the occasional bit of diamond jewelery and a trip to QDC then yes.

Breakfast cereal 14
Milk 6
Fruit 10
Bread 4

Lunch 4 big macs 70

Dinner fillet steak 60
Veg 40
Opera cake 100

Total 304 /day = 10,000 month QED

Last edited by gottheTshirt; May 31st 2013 at 3:21 am.
Old May 31st 2013, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

That's nearly 2000 English pounds a month on just the food shop.....he wasn't including going out to eat in that.
Sorry but that's just ridiculous in my opinion but each to there own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.