Mussandam options

Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice
Default Mussandam options

hi all

Planning a boat trip to Mussandam and have a few options to choose from.
1. Boat leaves from Khasab (the harbour in Mussandam)
2. Boat leaves from Ras Al Khaimah
3. Boat leaves from Dibba

We are planning to be on the boat for a whole weekend. From what we can suss out we think Option 2, leaving from RAK might be best. It seems with this option we don't need to do the land crossing into Oman which would save some time and money, and we don't need to worry about getting special car insurance for our hire cars if we leave them in RAK.

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:04 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mussandam options

Confused by Option 1...if the boat leaves from "the harbour in Mussandam", then where exactly will it be going? And what is there anyway?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

The boat sails around the Mussandam pennisular, that is the aim with all 3 options
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:14 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Confused by Option 1...if the boat leaves from "the harbour in Mussandam", then where exactly will it be going? And what is there anyway?
Musandam is one of the most beautiful places in this part of the world...

The trip from RAK to Khasab by car only takes about 45 mins and the boarder crossing is painless.

I'd probably start from Khasab and then tour round the coast towards Dibba etc, checking out Telegraph Island etc.

Never gone the full way round (the bend) - but it should be amazing.

http://dubaidailyphoto.blogspot.com/...label/musandam
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Some nice photos on here for those (like me) having little idea of what the place looks like. Let us know how it goes.

http://linda.burgess.fotopic.net/c849946.html
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same trip a couple of weekends back.
We stayed in the Hilton in RAK. The trip organisers picked us up from the hotel at 8am and then took us over the border (paid and sorted out the visa's etc) then drove us to the port. It's a great road from the border to the port (plenty of photo opportunities)
Make sure you snorkel and if possible SCUBA. The marine life was fantastic when we were there, even saw numerous groups of dolphins.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris79
I did the same trip a couple of weekends back.
We stayed in the Hilton in RAK. The trip organisers picked us up from the hotel at 8am and then took us over the border (paid and sorted out the visa's etc) then drove us to the port. It's a great road from the border to the port (plenty of photo opportunities)
Make sure you snorkel and if possible SCUBA. The marine life was fantastic when we were there, even saw numerous groups of dolphins.
Thanks for the advice......do you know which tour operator you went through? We have a few options but always good to have a few more!

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrskpd
Thanks for the advice......do you know which tour operator you went through? We have a few options but always good to have a few more!

Thanks
It was Khasab Travel & Tours.
I thought they were very good and the food was good on the Dhow as well. We took a cooler with some beer in and became very popular on the boat!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Have done this numerous times but only from Khasab. Think you will miss out on the best of the scenery and wildlife if you do it any other way. Cost and time differences are almost negligable I would say (unless you are trying to cross the border at the start of the Eid holidays or something) - you need to do which trip you think will be best and I would go for option 1.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Have done this numerous times but only from Khasab. Think you will miss out on the best of the scenery and wildlife if you do it any other way. Cost and time differences are almost negligable I would say (unless you are trying to cross the border at the start of the Eid holidays or something) - you need to do which trip you think will be best and I would go for option 1.
Agree
If you stay in RAK and get the trip to pick you up from the hotel, the border crossing is sooooo easy as they take care of everything.
Let us know how it goes.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

What did you need visas for?

Been to Mussandam a few times from Dibba Dhow harbour and just popped across the "border" no hassle and no visa.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:57 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
What did you need visas for?

Been to Mussandam a few times from Dibba Dhow harbour and just popped across the "border" no hassle and no visa.
Cause Musandam is in Oman and you need a visa to get in...and out again???
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Cause Musandam is in Oman and you need a visa to get in...and out again???
I never have, just flashed my passport and UAE Visa at the border and they waved me through.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:54 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
I never have, just flashed my passport and UAE Visa at the border and they waved me through.
Who d'ya know?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roadking
Who d'ya know?
Everyone of course.......apparently it depends which end you enter through.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...FELISTTEMPLATE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.