British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Muscat for a short break (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/muscat-short-break-646323/)

Patsy Stoned Dec 28th 2009 6:39 am

Muscat for a short break

My sister is thinking of having a few days in Muscat and then coming to pick Mother up to take her home (after a 3 month visit!!) Can anybody recommend a really good hotel and stuff to do please Thank you xxx

twisty100 Dec 28th 2009 8:43 am

Re: Muscat for a short break

Theres only two decent hotels in Muscat: The Chedi and The Hyatt and theres not much to do, but it is a very beautiful place.

Inselaffen Dec 28th 2009 9:11 am

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 8200519)
Theres only two decent hotels in Muscat: The Chedi and The Hyatt and theres not much to do, but it is a very beautiful place.

and the Shangri-la resort just outside Muscat.

Patsy Stoned Dec 28th 2009 9:41 am

what about the refurbished Al Bustan Palace Hotel, any views about that?

Roadking Dec 28th 2009 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8200615)
what about the refurbished Al Bustan Palace Hotel, any views about that?

Chedi is nice apart from the flies which can be annoying. Al Bustan was very "Arabic" but don't know since the refurb. Intercon is the same as everywhere but has a nice pool area. Shangri-la would be my choice for the weekend.

1/2 day spent in old Muscat can be interesting but there really isn't that much to do except chill by the pool and drink; but what's wrong with that?

Madam Medusa Dec 28th 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8200403)
My sister is thinking of having a few days in Muscat and then coming to pick Mother up to take her home (after a 3 month visit!!) Can anybody recommend a really good hotel and stuff to do please Thank you xxx

if she's not taking your mum, shangri-la or chedi for sure...hyatt is lovely, but we only went there cos of the kids...if she does the shangri-la, make sure it's the posh one where kids aren't allowed...

agree with what others have said, there's not loads to do there really, apart from chill...

MM, xx

Just Browsing Dec 28th 2009 10:45 am

Hyatt - very central, very nice, very expensive
Shangri La - a little bit out of the way but very nice, nice private beach and nice pool
Chedi, 2 mins from my house (pop in for tea!), very nice hotel, nice beach and good restaurants - a bit different is what most people say
Bustan - reopened about 6 months ago, again a little out of the way but very nice, nice pool area and decent beach.

Any of these will be nice for a weekend but my choice would be the Shang.

As somebody has already said, there isnt tons of stuff to do in Muscat but its a beautiful place to visit. Try going to the Grand Mosque which is spectacular, picnic in Qurum park, visit the corniche and souk, or just chill out round the pool with a glass of wine :cool:

Have fun....

lionheart Dec 28th 2009 10:48 am

Congratulations, Patsy, that's quite an achievement.:)

Patsy Stoned Dec 28th 2009 11:11 am

Thanks everybody, I will pass on your recommendations.
True LH, 3 months is a long time but she has been a joy to have here..well mostly!! :D

mission Dec 28th 2009 12:07 pm

I stayed at the Shangri-La resort...absolutely stunning complex...a little pricey....i was there with the other half back in Aug, the staff, the food and the sheesha were top notch :thumbsup:

weescot Dec 28th 2009 5:21 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I go to Muscat quite regularly. I like the shangri-la personally - it is a lovely resort - and even has Omani bagpipers playing Scottish tunes (strange but true). If you are up for an excursion/day trip, go to Nizwa - 90mins or so away. Old fort that is interesting and tourist and town souk next to one another. There are also some caves in the mountains just outside Nizwa. Can't remember the name. Plus lots of wadis (gentle) around if your mum is up for some off-roading and a picnic etc (!).... Attached is sign to my favorite Wadi...