Reload this Page >

Muscat - Reconci trip

Muscat - Reconci trip

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Muscat - Reconci trip

Hi,

Our preparation for the relocation to Muscat will begin soon but first we are visiting the city in the last week of May for a few days before we actually move in Aug / Sept.

Any advise / suggestions on things to do in such trips prior which could be helpful during the actual move is welcome. We were planning to meet with some of the schools there where our daughter is waitlisted for the Aug/Sept start.

Additionally will be looking at our residential locality and my office, probably a quick tour of the city to get a rough idea of what it is like. Anything else that will be useful / worth to consider? please share us your ideas..

Thanks
J
Old May 10th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Muscat - Reconci trip

We are set for the 26th to go to Muscat for a week. My biggest concern at the moment is our daughter's school, she is still on wait list for the sept intake. I'm hoping to meet with these schools during this visit and try hard.

We have one school that has confirmed space but this is the least preferred in our list, I really want to avoid switching schools in short time as the relocation itself is already a big ask from a 6 year old. Any tips would be greatly received.

We would also welcome thoughts on things to do during this short trip.

Cheers
P
Old May 11th 2014, 8:22 am
Banned

MarkOman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you require help when getting here, let me know....

I know a lot of people here and have a great knowledge that maybe of help to you.

I am also into real estate and therefore can help you with that too should you wish.
Old May 13th 2014, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Much appreciated, MarkOman1..

Thanks
Old May 13th 2014, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Pigrat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there we are in totally the same situation in that we are on waiting lists for schools for daughter age 5 and like you the schools that have places are not our preferred schools but british school etc totally full, nightmare!!! How long are you relocating for? We are going over at half term too x
Old May 14th 2014, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi Pigrat, our initial term is for 3 years but honestly I will have to see how we progress once there..

I have mostly received good comments about life there so feeling positive about this, just the school appears to be the biggest hurdle for now!
Old May 14th 2014, 8:16 am
Just Joined

We will be there for two years all being well. Which schools are you looking at? We are looking at muscat international and gulf international as these are the only two with spaces. Our decision will be made totally on the schools
Old May 14th 2014, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

We haven't tried MIS but yes GIS is in our list and the only one with space. But, we have also applied for TAISM, BSM & ABA, all waitlisted and ABA has already clearly indicated that they won't have spaces for the Sept intake, pathetic, have been on the list since March and there is still three months to go, can you imagine..

It will only get tougher once in as we would lose the new comer privilege that we have at the moment, so switching schools wouldn't be any easier as well!

Whatever, I have some appointments with these schools scheduled during our visit in two weeks time, will update you on the status upon our return. Hoping a request in person might help..
Old May 14th 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Good luck!! Let me know how you get on!! We are on the waiting list for all those schools too plus royal flight and tlc. I tell a lie we didn't apply to tasim as far too expensive the woman there said they do next review in may for places, maybe you'll be lucky! They have all basically said no chance. One school did say that people put down lots of schools for waiting list so it can change quickly but we will have to accept the job after the visit. We we going to wait till we have sorted school before deciding where to live its so complicated!!! Then the stress if sorting out house at home. Good luck x
Old May 15th 2014, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

RFS is a good school too as I understand, one of our constraints is that we have our residential complex close to BSM and GIS, and RFS is really far from there. At least you will have the flexibility in that sense.

For us school is a priority as well, if she isn't getting the preferred school then I would have to see if it is possible to delay the assignment!
Old May 15th 2014, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Rfs is also full and they basically said good luck so its a no. At least you have accommodation sorted too. Totally agree in school if we are not happy with the options when we have seen them
We will have to turn down the job which we don't want to do as amazing opportunity x
Old May 15th 2014, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

I'm really hoping for the waitlists to improve significantly in the next few weeks as you say many like us would have applied everywhere..

True about the opportunity, an ideal time to interrupt kids life, if you know what I mean.. as they grow it becomes more complex..

Lets hope for the good and with a bit of luck we could meet in Oman!!
Old May 15th 2014, 7:48 am
Just Joined

We may see you stalking round schools next end may and fighting for places! Will report back possibly by private message to you I guess what will be will be but surely gis and mis will be good x
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Just back from Muscat, all schools say the same story that the spaces can only be finalised nearer the term commencing time as actual movement of expats will only be known then. I guess parents wouldn't want to take the risk of losing space before they know anything concrete about their next assignment.

GIS is a young school that is just began to grow. Our first impression, honestly were not great with this school as the South African lady who is running the day to day activities of the school appears to be a little lost with what she is doing and the teachers apart from one british, the rest are from various other countries, including phillipines! But it seems that the school has good vision and plans for the future but not sure if they will be achieved in right time. In my opinion, the school appears to be more suitable for children who have very little or no knowledge of English so that they can improve on this here before they can try to get in to one of those big schools.

Didn't get a chance to see MIS but visited BSM, ABA and TAISM. While BSM is very much a UK state school except that they have some extra curricular activities included, like swimming etc.. Space is premium here in this school as they have an extra section in each class compared to the other two big schools. So it looks a little cramped and congested.

ABA is spacious than BSM and the teachers we met were quiet friendly too. But it was a little shocking to know that a couple of students from the elementary grades were advised to redo the current grade another year as they were not ready for next higher grade. Does it say some thing about the teaching standards of this school or this is to be blamed purely for the students ability, not sure?

TAISM is purely an American international school as the name suggests. The school is huge with spaces everywhere and truly looks classic. ECA seems to get priority here and children do heaps of arts and crafts work. Excellent facilities like ABA but a little further away from the main QB area.

More to follow..