Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Muscat: Is this enough?

Muscat: Is this enough?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:41 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muscat: Is this enough?

Originally Posted by coolio90210
So many views! No Replies!
..er...you initially posted at 2.06 pm UAE time and expect responses within 26 minutes (2.32 pm in your post #2) ! People are working give them time (a day or two) to respond. Most BEs are in UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, less so in Oman.

I was going to post you the same URL given in Post #5, but Rowell beat me to it. Remember people take time to reply to newbies...but at least you said please ("I would appreciate your advice") compared to some newbies who forget.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:38 am
Just Joined

coolio90210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Muscat: Is this par? Over? Under?

All I can do to get help!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

familyguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate,

Just moved to Oman myself so will offer my limited observations.

The child point raised by other members is relevant, if you have children that might be a point to negotiate on (save you up to 900 RO per term)

Is there a gratuity payment at the end of contract?

To buy a car (a mid priced suv 4x4 type) will set you back around 12000/13000 RO which works out roughly 280 RO over 4 years (20% down which is standard out here)

I have found food to be on par with the UK, somethings cost more, others less.

A round of 3 beers and a wine costs between 10-13 RO in the bars we were in last night.

Internet/sky tv (called showtime) per month about 35 RO

Hope this helps, in the end you have to look at your current situation in the UK and decide if its all worth it.

I certainly dont regret moving here, love it already.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Muscat: Is this par? Over? Under?

Thanks for your response mate. I appreciate it.

One more question: I am single guy, how is the scene for singles over there? I am sure its not a dating paradise but is there a mirage in the desert?
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:32 am
Just Joined

familyguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response mate. I appreciate it.

One more question: I am single guy, how is the scene for singles over there? I am sure its not a dating paradise but is there a mirage in the desert?

There is a mirage in the desert mate, but unfortunately it comes in the shape of Dubai/A.D!!!!!! Muscat is alot calmer, more for families. If you are into your sport there is loads to do, but for going out on the pull you may find endless nights going home on your own with a pot noodle and a box of kleenex.

Feel free to give me a pm if you need anything else.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by familyguy

Feel free to give me a pm if you need anything else.
a handjob i'd wager..
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Into my second year in Muscat now, so a quick reply to your question.

If you get accommodation and a car thrown in then 2,500 rials per month is plenty to do what ever you want in Muscat - nobody can advise you if its the right salary for you as its down to your own personal circumstances and depends upon exactly what the job entails.

Regards nightlife, there are a few decent pubs and about 1 half decent "club" but dont expect anything fancy - Muscat doesn’t really have a vibrant night scene but you can drive to Dubai in 4 hours or catch a plane which takes 50 mins!

All in all, Muscat is a great place to live but the pace of life is quite slow so if your looking for a Dubai type experience you will be disappointed.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Muscat: Is this at par?

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I am still a little confused, but seems like its going to remain that way. I don't clearly understand the meaning of, "nobody can advise you if its the right salary for you as its down to your own personal circumstances".

From where I come from, its your resume and experience, it doesn't matter whether you are married or not, if you have one kid or an entire football team. Looks like there is no well established standard in the Middle-east. It's whatever best you can negotiate. It's a meat market. I am not sure if I am comfortable with that.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 3:53 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I am still a little confused, but seems like its going to remain that way. I don't clearly understand the meaning of, "nobody can advise you if its the right salary for you as its down to your own personal circumstances".

From where I come from, its your resume and experience, it doesn't matter whether you are married or not, if you have one kid or an entire football team. Looks like there is no well established standard in the Middle-east. It's whatever best you can negotiate. It's a meat market. I am not sure if I am comfortable with that.
I think the problem seems to be is that some are thinking the question you are asking is "is the salary I quote enough for me to live on comfortably in Dubai? but what you are really saying "Is the wage I have been offered the going rate for my position for someone of my experience? and that has been answered.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rowell
I think the problem seems to be is that some are thinking the question you are asking is "is the salary I quote enough for me to live on comfortably in Dubai? but what you are really saying "Is the wage I have been offered the going rate for my position for someone of my experience? and that has been answered.
Quite correct rowell. Also depends on the role - are you a Designer, a QS, a site engineer, or are you being offered a CM role or Resident Engineers role? Do you work in infrastructure, or are you being offered a roads job?

Just stating your qualification means fa..