Muscat to Dubai via taxi?

Muscat to Dubai via taxi?

Old May 19th 2010, 2:17 pm
FAX
Just Joined

FAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Muscat to Dubai via taxi?

Hi guys,

I'm flying into Muscat on business next month with a colleague and he really wants to visit Dubai on our last day even thought we've a tight schedule.

I was thinking we could hire a car to take us to Dubai for the day and that way we could pay a flat rate fee and have the driver stop whenever we liked

Is it possible to do this and how much should we try to get the taxi for (and from where)

Secondly, what's the visa procedure at the Oman/UAE border? I have a UAE visa but my business colleague does not (he's a British citizen)

Is it very complicated procedure?

Thanks
Old May 19th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Default Re: Muscat to Dubai via taxi?

If i remember correctly it is a 5 hour trip one way this inculdes border crossing - I really don't think its worth it for a day. - You don't know if there would be a problem on the border or how long that could take- mostly they just want your dosh

Lets see what the others have to say.
Old May 19th 2010, 4:27 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's a minimum 4.5 hours each way and not much to see on the road. Visa should be OK depending on what you designation is, manager or above is OK. Rules have changed regarding Oman border recently but, as usual, it's not clear what the implications are.
Old May 25th 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

chewieoo is an unknown quantity at this point

It Is a long way to travel by car.
Are you going from Muscat?

Oman Air do a flight from Muscat to Dubai which costs 21 RO (one way) and is well worth it as it means you dont have a long drive and potentially a long border crossing.

If you have a UAE visa there will be no problem. Similarly with the UK passport holder you will be travelling with as UK citizens do not need a visa to enter Dubai, they will obtain one automatically upon arrival.

I have done both trips plenty of times and really flying is your best bet especially if you only have a day!

Last edited by chewieoo; May 25th 2010 at 11:00 am.