Muscat

Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Muscat

• Serviced apartments?:
    Not really. Also, Muscat doesnt have a city centre as such, it's a collection of suburbs.
  • Can I get a vila on a compound in/near the city centre? Whats the rough cost?
    Again, no city centre. It's not like Dubai. It's villages strung along the coast that merge into each other. Not so many compounds. a few, with a pool, but exception rather than norm. Semi or detached villas are more likely.
    Cost, I'm not up to date on. Cost around 800 OMR per month in 2005, 1800 OMR in 2008, 1200 OMR in 2012 for a 3 bed detached villa with garden in MSQ near British school. Not sure what latest is.
  • I've tried googling but can't find any online property agents for Muscat, would any of you know any?
    taif.me.uk
  • Spouse working?:
    Possibly. most teachers are unemployed expat wives, and there's lots of them around. salary is ok, but most get fecked off with the school quite quickly.
  • I understand beer is a little more available, whats the prices and how easy to get?
    Most hotels, and a few restaurants not attached to hotels are licenced. However, once every couple of years the licence is occasionally revoked for a month or two just to shit em. No alcohol during Ramadhan nor public holidays. If you don't work for PDO then you need to get your employer to sponsor you for a licence.
    Useful website for all this shit is http://www.muscatmutterings.com/
  • What are the rules about using an International Driving Permit or converting my UK license?
    You can use your UK up to 6 weeks and then you must convert to Omani. My husband thought it was 3 months and got a 50 OMR fine for not converting earlier.
  • Whats the internet like in Muscat?
    Depends where you live, what the ADSL lines are like to the house, or if you are in the WIMAX zone. Two main providers are OMANTEL and NAWRAS. Google them for the different packages. We use Nawras Wimax and get about 2-3 Mb depending on the wind.

The helpful info above posted about Muscat by OriginalSunshine.

The Wave - http://www.wavehomes.net/tenants

Just some general info that would be a shame to be lost.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Muscat

But Dubai doesn't really have a city centre either. This morning I drove from Bur Dubai to Dubai Industrial City. It was a 135km round trip!