British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Muscat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/muscat-689979/)

reecefam Oct 18th 2010 6:32 am

Muscat

Hi Guys...been invited over to Muscat this week, for a retail managers job. Does anyone live over there on here? Probably come over and leave my family over here in the UK, certainly to start with. Can you tell me what a good salary/package looks like over there?
Thanks.
Martin:thumbup:

weescot Oct 18th 2010 7:54 am

Re: Muscat

I don't live there but I visit a lot and have friends there. it is very family focused place to live - good schools and nice lifestyle tc. Not sure about the salary packages though. You can try searching the forum - I am sure the quesiton ahs been asked before quite recently.

I am sure you will like Muscat.

i-like-tea Oct 18th 2010 8:05 am

Originally Posted by reecefam (Post 8925461)
Hi Guys...been invited over to Muscat this week, for a retail managers job. Does anyone live over there on here? Probably come over and leave my family over here in the UK, certainly to start with. Can you tell me what a good salary/package looks like over there?
Thanks.
Martin:thumbup:

Working and living in Muscat is good and it is the capital of Oman, most of things are available.
It depends on your employer. If your employer given you a good offer why not.
Cost of living in Muscat is high these days. If your employer will provide you with accommodation, that will be a good offer.

hnd Oct 18th 2010 8:10 am

Have you seen this forum?

http://www.omanforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

reecefam Oct 18th 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 8925575)

Thanks a lot for your help. Its a retail chain but package is about 2/3rds of what i earn in UK, though obviously no tax. Medical pack and a flight home but no home/car allowance, so not sure!:confused:

reecefam Oct 18th 2010 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by i-like-tea (Post 8925569)
Working and living in Muscat is good and it is the capital of Oman, most of things are available.
It depends on your employer. If your employer given you a good offer why not.
Cost of living in Muscat is high these days. If your employer will provide you with accommodation, that will be a good offer.

Thx

reecefam Oct 18th 2010 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 8925551)
I don't live there but I visit a lot and have friends there. it is very family focused place to live - good schools and nice lifestyle tc. Not sure about the salary packages though. You can try searching the forum - I am sure the quesiton ahs been asked before quite recently.

I am sure you will like Muscat.

What package would you say is good?

Roadking Oct 18th 2010 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by reecefam (Post 8926634)
Thanks a lot for your help. Its a retail chain but package is about 2/3rds of what i earn in UK, though obviously no tax. Medical pack and a flight home but no home/car allowance, so not sure!:confused:

Uummm, why would you come for less money? No disrespect intended, but the 90% agreement here is: if aint cash postive; don't do it.

No tax is made up in other ways even in Muscat which is a great place to live...I understand. Living costs are on par if not more expensive, schooling for sure is more expensive and job security is non-existant for newbies (again, no offence).

A half decent villa will cost around 2000 pounds per month, use that as your base.

Good luck!

reecefam Oct 18th 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8926677)
Uummm, why would you come for less money? No disrespect intended, but the 90% agreement here is: if aint cash postive; don't do it.

No tax is made up in other ways even in Muscat which is a great place to live...I understand. Living costs are on par if not more expensive, schooling for sure is more expensive and job security is non-existant for newbies (again, no offence).

A half decent villa will cost around 2000 pounds per month, use that as your base.

Good luck!

Bloody hell...2k a month...they can stick it then...only offered me 4.5k a month! :thumbdown:
Planning to come over on my own and leave family at home for a while to see if i like it.

Meow Oct 18th 2010 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by reecefam (Post 8926634)

Just because there is no income tax in Oman, does not mean that you have no tax liabilities. You may be subject to UK income tax on at least part of your overseas earnings dependent on when you leave the UK and how long you remain non-resident.

As others have, it's daft to move for a lower income. The cost of relocating is high.

OriginalSunshine Oct 21st 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8926677)

Good luck!

4.5k per month in rials or pounds? if in rials, that is the top of any salary offer I have heard of.

if 4.5 in pounds, without housing, then still good, but not great.

do you need a villa if your family is overseas? a good flat will cost around 600-800 OMR per month. if you live a bit further out, around 350 OMR per month. Look at taif.me.uk a local well priced real estate agency.

if your kids come, then allow for school fees of around 4500 to 6000 OMR per annum.

living costs are on a par to a bit more expensive than the UK (because a lot of UK stuff is imported here and sold at a 1:1 conversion rate)

go to omanforum.com and look at the threads there for salary earnings - work out what your monthly budget is - how much you would spend, and how much you would save, and then decide if it is worth it.

for example, if you have and keep a mortgage in the UK, then you definitely dont want to pay rent here in Muscat as well, out of your salary.

Desert Dweller Oct 23rd 2010 11:06 am

Bollocks do you need 2,000 pounds a month for a villa in Muscat!

We have a 3-bedroom with garden and separate maids quarters for less than half of that near MQ! If you go to Azaiba or further out to mawalleh you can live in a 5-bedroom mansion for 650 pounds a month!
If it is just you, you could get a nice 2-bed flat in The Wave for about 1,100 pounds.