Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Multiple packages per family + Primary Teacher packages

Multiple packages per family + Primary Teacher packages

Old Feb 18th 2019, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple packages per family + Primary Teacher packages

Originally Posted by Scamp
Dunno, don't really care. It happens, that's the main thing.

An individual in our company just turned down signing a letter for someone to say he doesn't get housing allowance, which I disagree with, because we don't have a policy so depends on the individual.

Now his wife is going to lose the apartment they get provided as a benefit. Seems to me like a shitty thing to do on behalf of both companies, regardless of how the packages are structured. She was offered a job and a package for doing it, that includes (for example) 15,000 a month salary, 5,000 flight annually and 90,000 worth of apartment (for sake of argument), totalling 275,000 or an equivalent of 22,916 monthly. You got married? Your husband gets a housing allowance as part of his 30,000 a month 'package' which is split into many allowances just to maintain the 60/40 split for gratuity purposes? OK, we're going to take 33% of your package away.

If schools don't like doing it and spend time and effort to catch people out who do retain both then they should probably look at the way they treat their staff. My package is split into allowances and nothing is provided, nor do I get asked if my partner gets housing - it's nothing to do with my business what else I get provided. If my partner worked for Emirates should I get a lower flight allowance or no flight allowance at all because I can get cheap trips?

Roles have salaries / packages / benefits attached to them as part of the total reward for that job....not the prospective candidates currrent or future marital / family status.
It's a reflection of a rapidly evolving employment market. 20 years ago everyone was on packages with provided housing in the company's name so why would a couple want two apartments? And now in today's Dubai there really isn't a need for packages anymore. Just the salary and let people sort everything else themselves. But some companies still haven't caught up.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly an emotional subject.

Where's all the O&G feather-bed folks, who used to say "I would never be an expat without a full feather-bed package" Only to have all benefits systematically removed or just get cut and apply for new jobs with all inclusive, or end up in shitty locations. Two posters spring to mind.

I've always been all inclusive - so much better, you can never trust an employer to not **** around with benefit packages as the internal pressure and jealously from those with and without is just too much.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 10:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Where's all the O&G feather-bed folks, who used to say "I would never be an expat without a full feather-bed package" Only to have all benefits systematically removed or just get cut and apply for new jobs with all inclusive, or end up in shitty locations. Two posters spring to mind.

I've always been all inclusive - so much better, you can never trust an employer to not **** around with benefit packages as the internal pressure and jealously from those with and without is just too much.
I only know what my 'basic' salary is because I looked the other day to work out potential gratuity. Otherwise I wouldn't have a scooby....
Old Feb 18th 2019, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I only know what my 'basic' salary is because I looked the other day to work out potential gratuity. Otherwise I wouldn't have a scooby....
i know mine as that’s what I’m paid
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I recollect that in KSA rules about double packages for man and wife were rigorously enforced. If he got housing and tickets,there was no way that she would get them through her employer ! My missus was hired on a local contract wjhen I worked for the airline and there was NO QUESTION oif her getting tickets etc from her employer. Ah the memories of woerking for saudi Arabian Airlines and living in the compound at Saudia Ciuty in Khgalediya ! My older daughter(now 25 and a mother herself) really enjoyed and benefited from the American International School.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It probably comes down to the type of package.

There are two kinds of packages.

The first is the package that is for all practical purposes a lump sum salary but with breakdowns into base salary and benefits, and the benefits are just accounting numbers. For this package it makes no difference whether you're single or married, with kids or not. You may get a "housing allowance" but so what? It's just a number. They're not taking it away from you if married. They don't care if you spend every penny of the housing allowance or only spend half of it, it's your money either way.

The second, and the more old fashioned one, was the package with a proper base salary, and clearly defined benefits (housing, schooling, transportation etc) that varied on whether you were single or married or whether you had kids. And those aren't the packages that allow doubling up because they're use it or lose it benefits. If a spouse is getting a 250k housing allowance from his company they're not going to give you a housing allowance, because you don't need it. Same with school fees. Your spouse gets full school fees covered, they're not giving you another set of school fees on top because you don't need it. And they want receipts for everything. And if you only spend 200k for housing, you're not keeping the remainder of the allowance.

Most people working for more local employers such as government ministries, most of the schools/university authorities, Emirati companies, are going to have the traditional package approach.

Methinks most of the confusion on this thread stems from what people mean when they talk about packages.
Most of my clients who pay schooling do it on reimbursement now
Old Feb 28th 2019, 8:07 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I'm here,, and still fluffing the down-filled pillows in my full feather bed package..