British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   multinational school, Riyadh... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/multinational-school-riyadh-709040/)

leepee Mar 12th 2011 3:32 pm

multinational school, Riyadh...

Just wondering if anyone has any info/opinions on the Multinational School in Riyadh? We have the option of the British School and the American (we are Canadian). Came across the website for this one as well and would really like to know if anyone would recommend it....

Thanks in advance
Lisa

nottmbantam Mar 12th 2011 3:51 pm

Re: multinational school, Riyadh...

I think it's generally considered to be ok. It initially set up to provide for kids with learning difficulties but has ventured since then into main stream education. It follows the Australian syllabus but then as the kids get older, they can choose to follow the British system and sit the IGCSE exams. It's just around the corner from Exit 8, so handily placed.

However, we are British and if we had the choice, I think I'd go for the British School. THe buildings look a lot smarter / modern, and it seems to be better run somehow - and I've not experience of either school, so really, I've no idea how I've come to that conclusion!

THe American School here also has a good reputation, and as is pretty obvious, will follow the US educational system.

leepee Mar 12th 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks for that....I have heard good things about the British School...However, my two are used to the fairly laid back Alberta education system. Am not sure they would cope with actually having to learn and behave!!!

I have heard that the Br School is in one of the compounds. Would you know if that is correct?

Lisa

Victor Meldrew Mar 12th 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by leepee (Post 9235012)
Thanks for that....I have heard good things about the British School...However, my two are used to the fairly laid back Alberta education system. Am not sure they would cope with actually having to learn and behave!!!

I have heard that the Br School is in one of the compounds. Would you know if that is correct?

Lisa

Yes BISR is literally connected to Al Hamra. Been through a fairly turbulent 6 or 7 years (1 Head, 1 acting Head, 1 Head who left after short time). New Head now.

Had a great reputation prior to this. Not sure what it is like now. Facilities good, sports good.

Multinational plays 2nd (or 3rd?) fiddle to both BISR and AISR.

flares Mar 12th 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by leepee (Post 9235012)

Lisa

Correct

On the corner of Hamra Compound. There's a connecting door!

Also they have a separate part of the school on the Salwa (BAE) compound out towards Jandawria (sp)

nottmbantam Mar 12th 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9235020)
Correct

On the corner of Hamra Compound. There's a connecting door!

Also they have a separate part of the school on the Salwa (BAE) compound out towards Jandawria (sp)

This bit is the junior school, the main school is on Al Hamra. I'd agree with Victor - MN School is probably 3rd fiddle to the Brit School and American School.

leepee Mar 12th 2011 4:36 pm

That's great info thanks.....Do you happen to know if the American School is also in a Compound?
L

flares Mar 12th 2011 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by leepee (Post 9235042)
That's great info thanks.....Do you happen to know if the American School is also in a Compound?
L

not yet ;)

Victor Meldrew Mar 22nd 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9235018)
Yes BISR is literally connected to Al Hamra. Been through a fairly turbulent 6 or 7 years (1 Head, 1 acting Head, 1 Head who left after short time). New Head now.

Had a great reputation prior to this. Not sure what it is like now. Facilities good, sports good.

Multinational plays 2nd (or 3rd?) fiddle to both BISR and AISR.

Just learned that the current 'new' Head is also leaving this year (ie been asked to leave). Another is starting next year.

leepee Mar 22nd 2011 7:21 pm

I thought he had only been signed for a year anyway...?

Victor Meldrew Mar 22nd 2011 10:48 pm

I'm not sure. The main point is that he has not done a good job.