Multi-Race Family

Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

PTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the roughPTME is a jewel in the rough
Default Multi-Race Family

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site. My husband and I are considering relocating our family from the UK to Dubai. However, as we are a multi-race family [I am black, he is white] moving to an arab country, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on whether or not we would be treated any differently. In our 10 years together we have never had any racial abuse [the ocasional raised eyebrow but never anything hurtful] and yes, while I am well aware of the fact that racism happens everywhere, if it's going to be blatantly obvious and stop us from carrying on as normal a life as possible then I would prefer to keep my children [3 and 5] away from it... I guess just the thought of my children [or myself] being ridiculed or being unable to make friends because of the colour of their/their parents' skin is a bit troubling. Any views appreciated.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multi-Race Family

Originally Posted by PTME
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site. My husband and I are considering relocating our family from the UK to Dubai. However, as we are a multi-race family [I am black, he is white] moving to an arab country, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on whether or not we would be treated any differently. In our 10 years together we have never had any racial abuse [the ocasional raised eyebrow but never anything hurtful] and yes, while I am well aware of the fact that racism happens everywhere, if it's going to be blatantly obvious and stop us from carrying on as normal a life as possible then I would prefer to keep my children [3 and 5] away from it... I guess just the thought of my children [or myself] being ridiculed or being unable to make friends because of the colour of their/their parents' skin is a bit troubling. Any views appreciated.
I would say most of the racism in dubai is towards asians more than anything else. as for you and your family - not a problem. you are british anyway.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I am an Asian and haven't personally been subjected to any blatant racism in my 12 years here - could be due to the industry I work in (Finance/Banking)

Both my kids haven't faced it in schools either
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

there are a number of children in my kids school and nursery with mixed race parents, and i've never heard of them having any issues...

MM, xx
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find the children incredibly accepting as they are so used to being surrounded by different nationalities all the time out here. Generally the kids don't know and don't care what nationality/colour/religion their friends are - they just get on with life.

Enjoy
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:59 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
I am an Asian and haven't personally been subjected to any blatant racism in my 12 years here - could be due to the industry I work in (Finance/Banking)

Both my kids haven't faced it in schools either
My other half has been ready to chuck in her job several times this week, after taxis repeatedly refused to pick her up near SZR... apparently because of her appearance. She's Korean, but she's been told taxi drivers assume she's Filipino, and heading to Sharjah... so they burn a fare to the Marina rather than stop and check. :curse:

(Time for her to learn to drive, but not in this country.)
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PTME
Hi everyone,

Hi PTME -

In many ways, the Gulf is perfect for "rainbow families" because there are an awful lot of mixed race couples out here (I grew up in the Gulf, and I'd say 70% of the people I grew up with had parents from different cultures).

One of our posters who is married to an African lady has complained of people assuming that his wife is the maid when picking up the kids from school, which is unfortunate. That said, I know some African Americans over here who love it out here and have no complaints about racism.

On balance, I think you should be fine. Make sure that you're getting a decent package, check accomodation, school fees etc - there is loads of information on the wiki.

Best of Luck!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't repeat our experiences here and in KSA as it's been said before, but if you are not white or Arab, prepare yourself for a culture shock. My African wife hates the racism here, especially from young Arabs. Our mixed race child seems to cope reasonable well but is often teased at school about her Afro hair...presumably that occurs in the UK too. Unless you are black, it's no good saying that racism doesn't occur.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I won't repeat our experiences here and in KSA as it's been said before, but if you are not white or Arab, prepare yourself for a culture shock. My African wife hates the racism here, especially from young Arabs. Our mixed race child seems to cope reasonable well but is often teased at school about her Afro hair...presumably that occurs in the UK too. Unless you are black, it's no good saying that racism doesn't occur.
Racism doesn't just happen to black people, LH.... Pakis got bashed a plenty back in the day. Happens less nowadays but still happens.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Racism doesn't just happen to black people, LH.... Pakis got bashed a plenty back in the day. Happens less nowadays but still happens.
Agree

and What about the Irish in th late 50's and early 60's in the UK.

When Irish folk moved to UK and tried to find lodgings, sign on doors read

No Blacks

No Irish

No Dogs

Racism is not about colour alone
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Agree

and What about the Irish in th late 50's and early 60's in the UK.

When Irish folk moved to UK and tried to find lodgings, sign on doors read

No Blacks

No Irish

No Dogs

Racism is not about colour alone
"The Irish" found those notices on the doors, Annacarna?

Gosh....... thank heavens no BLACKS found them...........

????
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
"The Irish" found those notices on the doors, Annacarna?

Gosh....... thank heavens no BLACKS found them...........

????

Commom Knowledge dear???????
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Commom Knowledge dear???????
what are you two talking about?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
That said, I know some African Americans over here who love it out here and have no complaints about racism.
same, as well as black british families..
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat.brat
what are you two talking about?
I'm not sure..... she's lost me completely with that 'common knowledge' comment.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.