Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Qatar

Moving from UK to Qatar

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:15 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
bakerwe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to Qatar

Hi

I have been offered a job in Qatar and wanted to know if my salary would be enough to cover all school fees etc.

My salary is QTR 28000 per month
accommodation QTR 14000 per month
School fees QTR 21000 per child

My question could have live not survive in Qatar with this salary. My worry is the school fee are low and I have 2 kids? I know that I would need top up my accommodation allowance.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mike
bakerwe1 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:50 am
  #2  
Onwards and Upwards!
 
Johnnyboy11's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 778
Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

School fees will likely be much higher than your allowance.

By way of an example, have a look at the Doha College fees here.

On a positive note availability is improving, due to expat lay-offs in the oil/gas sector in Qatar.
Johnnyboy11 is online now  
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:44 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,932
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by bakerwe1 View Post
Hi

I have been offered a job in Qatar and wanted to know if my salary would be enough to cover all school fees etc.

My salary is QTR 28000 per month
accommodation QTR 14000 per month
School fees QTR 21000 per child

My question could have live not survive in Qatar with this salary. My worry is the school fee are low and I have 2 kids? I know that I would need top up my accommodation allowance.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mike
All of the above is only relative if you post what you have coming in now . 42,000 QR plus school fees is decent but only relative to what you're doing here and what you are getting back home . Post that and you'll get a better like for like answer
co durham boy is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:54 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
bakerwe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 View Post
School fees will likely be much higher than your allowance.

By way of an example, have a look at the Doha College fees here.

On a positive note availability is improving, due to expat lay-offs in the oil/gas sector in Qatar.
Cheers mate!
bakerwe1 is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:59 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
bakerwe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
All of the above is only relative if you post what you have coming in now . 42,000 QR plus school fees is decent but only relative to what you're doing here and what you are getting back home . Post that and you'll get a better like for like answer
Thanks mate!
The question was more about cost of living there, as it is difficult to judge based on my UK salary alone. To compare the two is apples and pears, unless you know cost of living in Qatar.

Cheers!
bakerwe1 is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2015, 11:49 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,706
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by bakerwe1 View Post
Thanks mate!
The question was more about cost of living there, as it is difficult to judge based on my UK salary alone. To compare the two is apples and pears, unless you know cost of living in Qatar.

Cheers!
There is a sticky at the top of the main page "Guide to the cost of living in UAE and Qatar" just for newbies who ask the same old questions.
mikewot is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:10 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,932
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by bakerwe1 View Post
Thanks mate!
The question was more about cost of living there, as it is difficult to judge based on my UK salary alone. To compare the two is apples and pears, unless you know cost of living in Qatar.

Cheers!
The cost living here is extremely high . Most expensive place in the GCC to live , work and do business mate .

Get as much info as you can . Never sell yourself short when contemplating working in Doha . The more you get the better your life will be here in Qatar.
co durham boy is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2015, 12:46 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 295
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
The cost living here is extremely high . Most expensive place in the GCC to live , work and do business mate .
How much does a beer cost in Doha? Dubai's bad enough.
Standanista is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 5:28 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,932
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by Standanista View Post
How much does a beer cost in Doha? Dubai's bad enough.
Average pint of Stella would be around 40 Riyals , you can pay more or less but that's the book price at a 5 star hotel bar
co durham boy is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 8:53 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Sarah_Jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

bakerwe1 - I am also looking at moving with my family to Qatar. Already went through this process a couple of years ago, so already got a 'budget' together and done quite a bit on research.

These are my estimates, but I would be interested to hear what expats already in Doha make of my budgeting!

The biggest things to take into account are accommodation, groceries, car, travel and any savings you want to make.

You can check out accommodation online, but a nice 5 bedroom villa in the area around Doha college is in the region of QAR 20,000 £3,525 / month - there is cheaper accommodation available in other areas.

Groceries are about double your UK bill (assuming you shop at Tesco or equivalent).

Cars again you can check online, but I think that would be about QAR 2,700 £500 /month/car.

Of course travel (holidays) depends on how much you want to do.

Utilities seem to average out about the same as the UK. Strangely eating out seems to be a bit cheaper, but I'm told that it's usual to spend quite a bit on 'going out' for entertainment, so expect to spend more on that than you would in the UK overall. Clothing is more expensive, but many expats report waiting for trips home to buy clothes. I see someone has already replied to you re. education.

Your package should include health cover for you and your family and return flights home once a year - if not you'd have to budget separately for this.

It could work out quite tight on the salary they are offering you, unless they include some other benefits too.

Hope this helps.
Sarah_Jane is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 8:55 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Sarah_Jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Also check out expatwomen website - they have some good info about Qatar, especially the schools. Doha college is among the more expensive.
Sarah_Jane is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 1:09 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
bakerwe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by Sarah_Jane View Post
Also check out expatwomen website - they have some good info about Qatar, especially the schools. Doha college is among the more expensive.
Thank you Sarah! I was wondering would be good idea catch up via email or phone and share research notes? Let me know I send you my email address.
bakerwe1 is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 6:53 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,932
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by Sarah_Jane View Post
bakerwe1 - I am also looking at moving with my family to Qatar. Already went through this process a couple of years ago, so already got a 'budget' together and done quite a bit on research.

These are my estimates, but I would be interested to hear what expats already in Doha make of my budgeting!

The biggest things to take into account are accommodation, groceries, car, travel and any savings you want to make.

You can check out accommodation online, but a nice 5 bedroom villa in the area around Doha college is in the region of QAR 20,000 £3,525 / month - there is cheaper accommodation available in other areas.

Groceries are about double your UK bill (assuming you shop at Tesco or equivalent).

Cars again you can check online, but I think that would be about QAR 2,700 £500 /month/car.

Of course travel (holidays) depends on how much you want to do.

Utilities seem to average out about the same as the UK. Strangely eating out seems to be a bit cheaper, but I'm told that it's usual to spend quite a bit on 'going out' for entertainment, so expect to spend more on that than you would in the UK overall. Clothing is more expensive, but many expats report waiting for trips home to buy clothes. I see someone has already replied to you re. education.

Your package should include health cover for you and your family and return flights home once a year - if not you'd have to budget separately for this.

It could work out quite tight on the salary they are offering you, unless they include some other benefits too.

Hope this helps.
I believe you've over estimated your costings . 15,000 QR is adequate for a villa , i live 5 mins from Doha Collage and i pay less than that in the Al Waab area. 20,000 is top end.

I don't believe groceries are double , we spend around 2,500 QR per month for myse;f and my wife.

Cars i agree with

Health cover is covered by the Qatar Labour Law just check with the company on provider / cover type

Utilities i find cheaper than the Uk especially if you have split AC's , it gets expensive on a central cooling system.

Going out can be cheap or expensive it's relative , you can eat in the Souk Wafiq for 20QR a head or the tasting menu at Gordon Ramsay for 1000 QR it's totally down to you .

The OP's package is not bad , he could do ok if he nails the basics down well .
co durham boy is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 8:48 am
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Sarah_Jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
I believe you've over estimated your costings . 15,000 QR is adequate for a villa , i live 5 mins from Doha Collage and i pay less than that in the Al Waab area. 20,000 is top end.

I don't believe groceries are double , we spend around 2,500 QR per month for myse;f and my wife.

Cars i agree with

Health cover is covered by the Qatar Labour Law just check with the company on provider / cover type

Utilities i find cheaper than the Uk especially if you have split AC's , it gets expensive on a central cooling system.

Going out can be cheap or expensive it's relative , you can eat in the Souk Wafiq for 20QR a head or the tasting menu at Gordon Ramsay for 1000 QR it's totally down to you .

The OP's package is not bad , he could do ok if he nails the basics down well .
Thanks co durham boy, that's very helpful info.

We might have to go top end in villa's initially - got 3 sceptical kids (2 teens!) to keep happy ;-) But if we stayed we'd aim to downsize as they all move on.

Great to hear the grocery and utilities bill might not be as expensive though.

What about things like cinema, live entertainment and activities like ice skating and sports clubs - would you say they are comparable to the UK?

I feel more comfortable over estimating than under estimating to make sure we go for the right package - it feels so much more risky making the move when you're trying to provide for the kids needs as well!
Sarah_Jane is offline  
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 8:50 am
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 20
Sarah_Jane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from UK to Qatar

Originally Posted by bakerwe1 View Post
Thank you Sarah! I was wondering would be good idea catch up via email or phone and share research notes? Let me know I send you my email address.

Sure bakerwe1, I'd be happy too.
Sarah_Jane is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.