Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to UAE from UK. Tips on pre move activities

Moving to UAE from UK. Tips on pre move activities

Old May 30th 2023, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Adam F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UAE from UK. Tips on pre move activities

Hi, I'm due to relocate to UAE (RAK) in the next 6 months having accepted a job there. Really looking forward to it

We have a lot of things to sort out between now and then and I was hoping others who have made the move can share any wisdom / top tips of things to get sorted / to consider before we leave

For example should I open a mutli currency account before leaving (like revolut)? I saw another post suggesting starting a UK private pension. I have a UK mobile contract, do I keep this to have a UK number, or ditch it and a contract when I get there? And anything else I haven't considered or pointers appreciated.

We are planning to rent our UK property, initially plan will be to come back to UK at some point in the future permanently, depending how it all goes. Thanks very much in advance. A
Old Jun 1st 2023, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to UAE from UK. Tips on pre move activities

Originally Posted by Adam F
Hi, I'm due to relocate to UAE (RAK) in the next 6 months having accepted a job there. Really looking forward to it

We have a lot of things to sort out between now and then and I was hoping others who have made the move can share any wisdom / top tips of things to get sorted / to consider before we leave

For example should I open a mutli currency account before leaving (like revolut)? I saw another post suggesting starting a UK private pension. I have a UK mobile contract, do I keep this to have a UK number, or ditch it and a contract when I get there? And anything else I haven't considered or pointers appreciated.

We are planning to rent our UK property, initially plan will be to come back to UK at some point in the future permanently, depending how it all goes. Thanks very much in advance. A
Having a Revolut account or Wise account is never a bad thing in my opinion how you use it will depend on your own circumstances. Only you can answer about keeping the UK mobile, it really depends if you need it. You will certainly need a local mobile if you are living here and many UK expats keep their home mobile as well on a cheap tariff but depends if you want to spend the money and whether you need it. I have a dual SIM iPhone with UK and UAE lines on it.

Without knowing your circumstances I can only give general points. Don’t overlook your setup costs, a fair few deposits you might need to pay, depending on how your accommodation is funded be prepared to pay a fair chunk of your rent up front. Don’t overlook your tax obligations in the UK, many expats run away with the idea that you are tax free the minute you step off the plane but that’s not the case.

Happy to answer anything else with some more specifics

Good luck